Grado PS-1000e Audiophile Stereo Headphone review

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I've always wanted one of these, but couldn't justify it until recently. I've been disappointed with more than a few expensive purchases in the past, but not this time. The PS-1000e is very different from the AKG K812, Beyer T1, and Sennheiser HD800 headphones that I've owned, physically and sonically, so rather than try to summarize here what's in the review (too complicated), I'll just point to the full review below.
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4248

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your ongoing reviews - i have become very interested in headphones recently. Owning the 325e i am interested in the various differences or merits of the Grado range and how much improvement you get.

Clearly the PS-1000e are expensive and i doubt i will ever get to own one but is there is sweeter spot between the 325e and PS-1000e that is worth considering do you think ?

One thing i have noted with my 325e is that they are slightly harsh in the treble when listening through my Graham Slee ULDE but the bass is excellent. That said they really do sing with my Little Dot III. Interestingly the converse is true with my Beyer T90s which sound slightly dull with the Little Dot but are absolutely perfect with the Graham Slee.

I may do a separate post on this as the synergy between amps and headphones are much more critical - as i thought a good bespoke amp would always be an improvement, my own findings suggest really all is not equal.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
Thank you for your ongoing reviews - i have become very interested in headphones recently. Owning the 325e i am interested in the various differences or merits of the Grado range and how much improvement you get.

Clearly the PS-1000e are expensive and i doubt i will ever get to own one but is there is sweeter spot between the 325e and PS-1000e that is worth considering do you think ?

One thing i have noted with my 325e is that they are slightly harsh in the treble when listening through my Graham Slee ULDE but the bass is excellent. That said they really do sing with my Little Dot III. Interestingly the converse is true with my Beyer T90s which sound slightly dull with the Little Dot but are absolutely perfect with the Graham Slee.

I may do a separate post on this as the synergy between amps and headphones are much more critical - as i thought a good bespoke amp would always be an improvement, my own findings suggest really all is not equal.

The SR325e and PS1000e sound so different from each other that I can't compare them effectively short of a few pages of analysis. The 1000e bass is very lean - a totally different sound, but one that allows you to "hear through" to some finer details that don't register as well on the 325e. When you have an expensive headphone like the 1000e, don't regard its sound signature as the Word of God - run some test tones at the very least and make adjustments to flatten the sound a little better for your ears or tastes. That way you'll get so much more from it, and from your music. There's no hidden tricks in this suggestion, since it's just a headphone, albeit a very good headphone.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for replying. As i will unlikely be able to justify buying anything like the PS-1000 i wont bother to investigate it. What i can agree with is how good the 325e are, they certainly dont have every instrument individually separated as some other headphones do, but the overall effect of rhythm and gelling of bass, through midrange to the most super clear vocals and treble are something that i have not heard better elsewhere. Pair it with the right amplifier and you do get a superb whole musical experience. If i want to follow individual instruments and hear more air and wider presentation then i go to the Beyer T90s. I enjoy both for different reasons.

I think i will stick now - i dont want to get overly tempted by higher cost items. The £300 level is quite a good spot to settle at i think with a good amp.

TRENDING THREADS