Grado - GH2 vs RS2e vs SR325e

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I would like a set of Grado headphones having previously tried the SR80e and being quite impressed. I don't have anywhere to try them so I'd be buying blind really but have arrowed it down to the following 3:

GH2

RS2e

SR325e

I listen to a lot of music genres, everything from Classic Rock to Jazz, Female vocals and ambient. I am after something that's very detailed to reveal the nuances in the music but also one which isn't too bright at the expense of lower end.

I have read great reports about each of the above and that's part of the dilemma - are they more similar than different or would one fit the bill more than the others?

They'd be used with Audirvana+ or Tidal desktop through Meridian Prime Amp/DAC and dedicated PSU.

Any views from Grado users please?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
I would like a set of Grado headphones having previously tried the SR80e and being quite impressed. I don't have anywhere to try them so I'd be buying blind really but have arrowed it down to the following 3:

GH2

RS2e

SR325e

I listen to a lot of music genres, everything from Classic Rock to Jazz, Female vocals and ambient. I am after something that's very detailed to reveal the nuances in the music but also one which isn't too bright at the expense of lower end.

I have read great reports about each of the above and that's part of the dilemma - are they more similar than different or would one fit the bill more than the others?

They'd be used with Audirvana+ or Tidal desktop through Meridian Prime Amp/DAC and dedicated PSU.

Any views from Grado users please?

I had the GH1 and the 325e, which were very similar. If you don't mind the extra money, get the GH2 - you'll love it.

I never had any of the RS series, but as best I understand from reviews, they're more mellow than the GH1/2 or 325e. If you like the 80e, I see no reason to go farther than the 325e, unless you want to take the plunge with the GH2.

BTW, the RS2e has a way better review (38 total) percentage on Amazon U.S. than most headphones. Worth a look.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
Thanks Dale. What is it about the GH2 that makes it stand out as the better headphone?

Not enough to justify the price I think, but .... the extra wood compared to the acoustically treated metal in the SR325e will give a slightly warmer sound, but it's more subtle than I expected. From what I've heard the RS series is where you get the most "woody" kind of sound. I sold my GH1 for almost as much as I paid for it, so I think the "historic" series are good for collectors. One other thing though - if Grado would offer a good quality flexible detachable cable for their on-ear headphones, I'd buy more of them. So far, all I've owned are the PS1000e, SR325e, SR325, PS500, and GH1. And that cable is the only thing that stands between me and the GH2.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I am really reluctant to buy blind to be honest because the more I read the more it appears that the 3 of them are more similar than different, save for the slightly warmer presentation of the GH2. I would probably be buying it more for the uniqueness of it rather than the sound and for me, that's not a good reason.

So I think what you are saying is that the GH and RS sound 'slightly warmer' but in round terms not all that different from the SR325e right? The latter are half the cost so probably makes the most sense.

Have you ever heard the GS1000e? I am considering whether to hang fire and save for a set of those as, by all accounts, they are the go-to set in the range.

PS: 100% with you on the cables.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
I am really reluctant to buy blind to be honest because the more I read the more it appears that the 3 of them are more similar than different, save for the slightly warmer presentation of the GH2. I would probably be buying it more for the uniqueness of it rather than the sound and for me, that's not a good reason.

So I think what you are saying is that the GH and RS sound 'slightly warmer' but in round terms not all that different from the SR325e right? The latter are half the cost so probably makes the most sense.

Have you ever heard the GS1000e? I am considering whether to hang fire and save for a set of those as, by all accounts, they are the go-to set in the range.

PS: 100% with you on the cables.

To be honest, there's no significant difference in sound between the SR325e and the GH1, and I assume the GH2 would follow suit. But I don't know for sure.

I haven't heard the GS1000e, but based on the awesomeness of the PS1000e, it's likely to be just as awesome. One caveat though -- as much as I appreciated the PS1000e presentation and detail, the actual response was well off of neutral. The SR325e for example was much closer to neutral. I don't know if the GS1000e would be more neutral than the PS1000e, but I'd sure spend some time digging through reviews. BTW, Amazon reviews of Grados seem a lot more reliable than for other headphones, since they're almost never cloned.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
dalethorn said:
To be honest, there's no significant difference in sound between the SR325e and the GH1, and I assume the GH2 would follow suit. But I don't know for sure.

I haven't heard the GS1000e, but based on the awesomeness of the PS1000e, it's likely to be just as awesome. One caveat though -- as much as I appreciated the PS1000e presentation and detail, the actual response was well off of neutral. The SR325e for example was much closer to neutral. I don't know if the GS1000e would be more neutral than the PS1000e, but I'd sure spend some time digging through reviews. BTW, Amazon reviews of Grados seem a lot more reliable than for other headphones, since they're almost never cloned.

I agree and, certainly, on the Amazon UK site where all the Grado reviews are lumped together by series, there seem to be far more people reviewing the 325e than any of the others. The reviews of that model tend to be universally positive also.

I 'wanted' a wood pair really but from everything I read including your views, it appears that they simply don't represent twice the value/improvement despite being twice the cost of the SR325e.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I ordered a pair of SR325e's and really didn't like them at all so returned them. They were far too anaemic sounding for me despite the impressive detail that they are renowned for.

I am now hesitant about spending almost double on the GH2 or RS2e and wondering whether a set of SR80e may just be a safe bet.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
I ordered a pair of SR325e's and really didn't like them at all so returned them. They were far too anaemic sounding for me despite the impressive detail that they are renowned for.

I am now hesitant about spending almost double on the GH2 or RS2e and wondering whether a set of SR80e may just be a safe bet.

Based on your experience, I'd say the SR80e should be very similar to the 325e, except rougher sounding. The GH2 will likely be more of the same as the 325e. The unknown for me is the RS2e, which I'd expect to have more body.

I occasionally use the modest SR60, a model from about five years ago that I think has been tweaked since. I’ve always loved the idea of good quality phones since the revelation of the original Sennheiser HD414 in my teens. But rarely have I enjoyed them since, other than as a necessity in adverse circumstances.

Anyway, re Grados, I’ve listened to most of the range every year at the Bristol show, where they usually have a stand. I’ve often been surprised how different they sound to each other. I think there are probably pairs of models that sound comparable, like the 60 and 80. But some are strikingly different to each other. In most products i see that as a weakness. With phones I can just about rationalise it as being deliberately engineered to cater for differing markets and tastes. So, my point it you absolutely do need to listen, as ear coupling make a massive difference to tonality, and what appeals to others may be the opposite of your taste.

As a brand, I love that Grado always plough their own furrow, whether in cartridges (which I use) or phones, which mostly look awful! However, in your shoes I’d be trying to hear some of the planar models, like the new Quad ERA, and models by Audeze and Oppo, amongst others.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi nopiano

I agree - listening is key but I don't really have an opportunity to listen to the ones I am considering. That's a shame really but good to hear your impressions.

I have ordered a set of DT880's and DT990's to try and satisfy my need for a pair of open back that will provide details - will see how they fare.

That’s great, Paul, as I’m assuming you can return either/both if not to your liking. Many phones are too bass emphatic these days, but not Beyer I believe!

Have you seen this? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dt880-vs-dt990-comparison-review.526839/

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Yep, I can return either/both if I choose so I can't really lose. I did consider going all out and buying the T1 but funds just don't allow plus I read that the DT880 is probably 70-80% of the T1 anyway.

I did read that thread and it's a pity that something which started off so meaningfully descended into outright derision of the OP and moved away from the whole point. That's forums for you
regular_smile.png

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I plumped for the DT880's in the end. Both were very good and each were arguably better with certain genres but, on balance, the DT880's were the more revealing pair even if not quite at Grado levels. They didn't have the harshness that I found the Grados to have and are also far more comfortable to wear.

They do lack the body of the DT990s bass wise but I found that the latter's bass actually coloured the sound a little too much and recessed the midrange. Every headphone presents you with a trade-off to some degree so I am pretty happy that these will tick the box when I need to hear detail and a flatter response.

Happy.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I found the S80e warmer and more coherent if not quite as detailed and forthright as the S325. An ideal compromise imho.

My guess is that this is mostly due to the flat cushions used.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
I plumped for the DT880's in the end. Both were very good and each were arguably better with certain genres but, on balance, the DT880's were the more revealing pair even if not quite at Grado levels. They didn't have the harshness that I found the Grados to have and are also far more comfortable to wear.

They do lack the body of the DT990s bass wise but I found that the latter's bass actually coloured the sound a little too much and recessed the midrange. Every headphone presents you with a trade-off to some degree so I am pretty happy that these will tick the box when I need to hear detail and a flatter response.

Happy.

Here's a guy who used to post here a lot. You can see the link to his review blog as well. As best I remember, he was a big advocate for the DT880 - if not at first, then eventually.

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/headphones-etc/beyerdynamic-dt880-premium-600ohm-review

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
dalethorn said:
Here's a guy who used to post here a lot. You can see the link to his review blog as well. As best I remember, he was a big advocate for the DT880 - if not at first, then eventually.

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/headphones-etc/beyerdynamic-dt880-premium-600ohm-review

Thanks Dale it was good to read that. I recall having some very pleasant interactions with quadpatch and don't know why he doesn't post.

One thing I am curious about although a slight digression. I bought the 250 Ohm version to give me slightly more flexibility in using the DT880s. In the main, they are being used on my desktop system which is a Meridian Prime DAC/Amp with its dedicated PS. It gives a really great sound but I have noticed with these that it simply runs out of volume even with the volume at max. I never listen to ear-splitting levels at all and with my ADH7000s and SRH1540s (both lower impedance) then I can't tolerate how loud it will make them go but not so the DT880s.

Is that simply because they are harder to drive or a limitation of the Prime?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
dalethorn said:

Thanks Dale it was good to read that. I recall having some very pleasant interactions with quadpatch and don't know why he doesn't post.

One thing I am curious about although a slight digression. I bought the 250 Ohm version to give me slightly more flexibility in using the DT880s. In the main, they are being used on my desktop system which is a Meridian Prime DAC/Amp with its dedicated PS. It gives a really great sound but I have noticed with these that it simply runs out of volume even with the volume at max. I never listen to ear-splitting levels at all and with my ADH7000s and SRH1540s (both lower impedance) then I can't tolerate how loud it will make them go but not so the DT880s.

Is that simply because they are harder to drive or a limitation of the Prime?

I can't imagine the Prime not driving the 250 ohm version. Doesn't make sense. Something must be off. See if you missed a Gain switch somewhere, or even if there's an internal Gain switch. Is your source set up to max volume? You wouldn't think it mattered, but nowdays so many of these digital music players have their own attenuation, or even if playing from a CD there could be some volume limit reducing the sound before it hits the DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts