Got a C320BEE, bit less bass than what I had?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone!

After all the helpful responses on here, I upgraded my amp from the Cambridge Audio A5 to the C320BEE. The NAD is very powerful, lots of detail.

What I've found is the midrange is quite strong and seem to have less deep bass with my B&W DM601 S3 speakers. I run with the Tone Defeat turned on but when off, the bass control just makes the sound boomy whereas the tone controls on the Cambride Audio actually add more deep bass without being boomy.

What I was wondering though, is I use QED XT300 cable and people tend to say that QED can be a bit bright. Would I notice any significant difference changing to Chord cable?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm really surprised. I have a C355Bee and the bass is strong.

Regarding speaker cable change, I seriously doubt the type of subtle differences that people ascribe to cable would be enough to make noticable gains. Not worth the expense in my opinion.

Have you tried adjusting speaker placement? Do the speakers have port plugs installed? How about room acoustics?

A

Anonymous

The comparison is in relation to the old Cambridge Audio A5. The speakers have not been moved and the plugs are not installed. Yes there is bass, its not like the sound is really thin however there is a definate noticeable difference. The NADs midrange is more forward and the bass seems less.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Is it possible that this is an improvement? Sometimes amps can emphasize bass when it should not be prominent.

Regardless of where the speakers have been, you might want to play with new placement to accomodate the new amplifier. Closer to the wall or corners will increase bass. But be careful not to get to close as this will create a boomy unpleasant sound.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yeah; i agree with the above comment as the NAD sound is very much different to the C/A sound but i also disagree with the above comment on speaker cable.

A change to Chord Carnival Silverscreen will offer a different sound over the QED cable; the Chord is renowned for its bass depth and clarity in the bass/midrange over the QED cable so i'd say go for that as well (if you can)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. It's probably a lot to do with getting used to the sound. Thing is, the little 601s just won't give out lots of bass, say compared to the 602s. Therefore possibly this is why I find the C320BEE a little lacking.

Lacking is probably the wrong word. It does sound good, very good, just different.

If I was getting any cable it would be the Chord Rumour 2 - would cost roughly £15 to upgrade after selling my QED XT300 on eBay. The XT300 is a nice thick cable - the Rumour is quite thin?

A

Anonymous

I upgraded from the QED XT300 cables last month to the Chord Odyssey 2 cables. I always liked those QED cables, very good quality.

However, the Chord Odyssey 2 cables are much more refined. The treble does not glare like the XT300 did, the bass goes much deeper, but does not drown out the mids as the xt300 did, overall the Chord cables produce music in a far more organised and composed way.

Thin cables do not equate to reduced sound, The Rumour as with the Odyssey would produce a different sound to what you are used to, and they do not require much of a break in period.

I used to own a Nad C350, had bags of bass so im surprised you say the C320BEE to be lacking.

A

Anonymous

I have a C320BEE, but, as I have smallish standmounts, can't really comment about the bass other than to say it sounds fine to me.

You won't find a massive difference in sound if you change cables, as jaxwired says, but I'm changing cables to-day as it happens so will report back. Also, no cables need breaking in.

T

the record spot

cheyworth:you may need to give a little time to get to know the sound, as it may seem to be less bass, but the bass may reach lower and be more articulate.

Reckon this might be the one to watch - better amp, so better equipped to communicate the bass. I had the same problem when changing speakers - Missions 733i went low and had a good thump, the same company's 752 sounds leaner, but the bass is so well defined you can practically see the bass strings being plucked in rock music and can clearly define floor toms from a kick bass drum, etc.

Get used to the sound and swap them back - is the bass on the A5 really better, or just more thud without the lifelike detail?

Plus, the midrange is where it's at anyway, so you've gained more than you know!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts