Good speakers to pair with Cyrus 6 / X Power

Stuartyboy79

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Eveyone!

Well after a lot of money spent on my current set up (see sig) I was thinking about an upgrade to my speakers (see sig). Sort of had a similar question last month or so although I hadnt bi-amped at that stage. Like a lot of people I guess im drawn towards the usual B&W CM's, MA BX's etc. Had a listen to the Epos Epic 1's at a dealer. They never blew me away and I know how important it is to home audition so I could say Im being a tadge unfair there.

Any shortlisters that will play nice with the Cyrus from users here? Being that my MS902's have served me so well over the years I have this underlying loyalty to Mordaunt Short!!! As such I'm tempted by the Mezzo 2's! Particularily like that MS will let you home audition them for a full 60 days and their write up and reviews are pretty decent. Has speaker performance advanced so much that my beloved 902's will in fact see them being passed or sold on!!???

Cheers!

Stu

Forgot to say that they must be bookshelf and no higher than 350-355mm tall

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
What is your budget?

If you can go to £600 - £800 I would try some Kefs, R100 and LS50s for a start. B&W CM1s could be an interesting combination with Cyrus.

matthewpiano

The Mezzo 2s are brilliant speakers. One of the bits of hi-fi I wish I'd kept hold of. I'd definitely be inclined to give them a go - they are a big step forward from the MS902i (which I still ahve tucked away in the spare room).

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I had a pair of Mezzo 6 paired to twin X-powers (bi-amped) in the UK. Found them a little thin on the ass and midrange. Proac Studio 140s with their down-firing bass port onto a laminate over concrete floor cured all that. A bit beyond the Mezzo 2 price range I agree but look for something more dynamic in the mid and bass ranges where Mordaunt Shorts can be a bot lacking unless you want to turn up the volume and annoy the neighbours - in the next town.

Stuartyboy79

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks everyone!

Plastic penguin. had a look at the Dynaudios and i quite like the look of them and heard good things reference their abilities. They would be in and around the budget I have set aside.

Yes, my MS's are outdone by the hardware and in a few instances this comes through on the listening. Probably more attached to them than I should be!

I have had the B&W CM1's on the short list too. The KEF's have got me thinking too. Sont want to bombard myself with a massive list so its looking like the DA's, B&W's and the KEfs will be getting a test.

Just on the Dynaudios, im searching the net for a supplier / dealer and they seem to be few and far between?? Any recommended retailers that members could recommend? Im based up in the North East so would really like to tet the DA's and KEF's.

Thanks again for the help!

Stu

Stuartyboy79

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks everyone!

Plastic penguin. had a look at the Dynaudios and i quite like the look of them and heard good things reference their abilities. They would be in and around the budget I have set aside.

Yes, my MS's are outdone by the hardware and in a few instances this comes through on the listening. Probably more attached to them than I should be!

I have had the B&W CM1's on the short list too. The KEF's have got me thinking too. Sont want to bombard myself with a massive list so its looking like the DA's, B&W's and the KEfs will be getting a test.

Just on the Dynaudios, im searching the net for a supplier / dealer and they seem to be few and far between?? Any recommended retailers that members could recommend? Im based up in the North East so would really like to tet the DA's and KEF's.

Stu

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Kef R100 (and LS50).

There is also Spendor SA1s and S3/5R2.

I think the Vienna Acoustics Haydns are a fraction too tall at 361mm, which is a shame.

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Audio T used to be a Dynaudio dealer, not sure if they still are but they should be able to get some in or at least tell you where you can get some.

Just have a look in their site - google audio t

Tommo

Stuartyboy79 said:
Many thanks everyone!

Stu

What region do you live?

Dyns and Cyrus have always been a great match (and I'm not a big Cyrus fan). You'll be missing a trick if you don't hear the combo.

Stuartyboy79

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Tommo for your Audio T heads up.

Just went through the Dynaudio site and the only dealer relatively close to me is in Darlington. A good 45 mins away. Going to give the dealer a bell tomorrow as Im pretty keen to give the DynAudios a blast. They are KEF & B&W dealers too so good scope to give all 3 a blast on me shortlist!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Dyns are hard to come by and some Dyn dealers only do a few models, I had the same problem tracking down the X12s. Kefs are easier to find. Audio T carry some Dyns but you need to chack each branch to what they have. With your system I would be looking at £500-£1,000 speakers. The Kef LS50s were good but not so good at low volumes. Tannoy 6.1s were also pretty good.

Stuartyboy79

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Big H your first sentence sums up the feeling Im getting for the DA's at the mo. They are proving hard to come by, but I may take that as an omen! Maybe they are not made to grace my system!

Stu

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Stuartyboy79 said:
Big H your first sentence sums up the feeling Im getting for the DA's at the mo. They are proving hard to come by, but I may take that as an omen! Maybe they are not made to grace my system!

Stu

I did not like them (X12), heard them with Marantz Pearl Lite cd/amp but the treble was too forward, found it iritating, I think with Cyrus it may not be the right combo although the cheaper ones maybe different. Give the Kef R100s a try. I have not heard them but I would try the Acoustic Energy 301s if you can, I tried but could not find them, Richer Sounds stocks them but not sure if only to order.

Stuartyboy79

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, finally tracked them to the dealer in Darlington. he has both colours in stock too! His reply to me coming down to demo was, if you come down you may aswell audition the LS50's aswell! Couldnt speak of them more highly!

I have a funny feeling I may be spending over my perceived budget when I hear them! £500-600 is pretty much where I wanted to be in terms of spending.

Judging by the buzz surrounding the KEF's, theres a good chance my wallet may well be lighter than I anticipated. Surprised at the lack of Bi wiring option. Being that I ve had the carpet up running cables in for the MS's seems like a lot of wasted effort! LOL! Hope to get down within the next week or so. Thanks for all the help!

Regards

Stu

Stuartyboy79

May 12, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Stuartyboy79 said:

Stu

I did not like them (X12), heard them with Marantz Pearl Lite cd/amp but the treble was too forward, found it iritating, I think with Cyrus it may not be the right combo although the cheaper ones maybe different. Give the Kef R100s a try. I have not heard them but I would try the Acoustic Energy 301s if you can, I tried but could not find them, Richer Sounds stocks them but not sure if only to order.

Thanks Big H,

Gonna take your advice on the R100's aswell. They may well be an option. Nice looking little speaker too.

Stu

Stuartyboy79

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Space is an important factor for me too. I dont have the room to bring the speakers right out into the open. Ive pretty much got 25-30cm from the rear of the speaker to the wall and they will be on shelved units. The LS50's look maybe a bit to hungry for what the Cyrus could give them maybe?? I would obviously stick them through the X Power for the added oomph. Unfortunately the dealer doesnt deal in Cyrus now so bit of a bummer. Dont want to be disconnecting my amps and carting them down country. Hopefully Ill get the audition through something similar and we will take it from there.

Another factor is the R100 are slightly more pleasing to the eye. Ive got to keep my lass onside in that dept and dont know whether she would appreciate the look of the LS50. Personally I quite like it!

Stu

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I am very pleased with my KEF/Cyrus combination but you should audition as many other manufacturer models as possible just to ensure you get the sound you're after.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts