good sound non enough power

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
sistem:

cambridge audio azur 540c v2 player, 640a v2 amp,azur interconnects,mordaunt short avant 902i speakers,ixos xhs553 speaker cable,gale t50 speaker stands

problem:

i'm very happy with the sound quality of my budget sistem however i desire a bit more power and prefer the sound of floorstanders over bookshelfs,I like to listen to my music considerably loud and the sistem it's currently strugling to coope and sounds a bit out of breath at high volumes .I was thinking of ugrading the sistem with a power amp, either the nadc272 or the audiolab 8000p 400 pounds its the max i'm willing to spend on the power amp.on to speakers now, i have two candidates tannoy eyris2 or the monitor audio bronze br5 please enlighten me with thy knowlege masters of the hi-fi .

stefano corrias

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Conventional wisdom will suggest the BR5s, but I really quite like the sound of the Tannoys, so you should definitely give them a go.

I think they'll give you the bigger sound you're after without recourse to a power amp.

A

Anonymous

thaks 4 the advice sir ,but i still am unsure as i have audition the tannoy eyris2 but not the br5 as i cannot find anywhere to audition nevermind buy them in london . should i desire to go down the power amp route wich would you advise; audiolab8000p or the nadc272 ????, or is there anythigels out there that i should consider?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Given that the power amp isn't the solution to your problems, I'd suggest you buy a secondhand Audiolab 8000P to use with your Cambridge amp. It will give you about 30% more power, which should equate to an increase of level of one decibel, or a couple if you're lucky. You'll just about be able to hear that - 1dB is the smallest increase in sound the human ear can detect.

The NAD has more power - 150W - but it still won't bring the large increases in level you are seeking.

A

Anonymous

ok thanks very informative so ill most likely go for the tannoy and then see what the sistem sounds then .ta very much mr everard

A

Anonymous

so wat do i need to do in order to get the power i want? to give u an idea my last amp was a kenwood ka-3020 and it did satisfy my needs fully but but it was old and and the sound qualiti wasn't really good , is there a way to get that kind of delivery from my existing sistem or do i need a new amp go get wat i want regards stefano corrias

A

Anonymous

ok i'm not gonna argue wit u at the end of the day it's your job to know this thinks i'm just a chef

A

Anonymous

just found the teck spek for my old ka-3020 it's a 150W s@*7! thats very powerfull my cambridge audio640 v2 only has 75w can modern day eletronics make un fo the gap?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Actually, think you'll find the power consumption of the KA-3020 was about 150W, and the output around 50W per channel on paper, downhill and with a tailwind, but nearer 30W a side with sensible distortion figures, full range and both channels driven.

So bang goes that theory, even if it was a very exciting-sounding amp in its day, if not the last word in subtlety. IIRC we gave it an Award back in the mists of time, but we were all a bit rockier then.

We used to give 'serious fun' reviews to Cerwin Vega! - the ! was very important - speakers, too, back in those days...

A

Anonymous

custy let u know wat happens when i get my speakers end of the month thanks for the chat

TRENDING THREADS