Good quality SACD player with streaming

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

IAM trying to keep my box count to a minimum. So are there any good quality SACD players with inbuilt streaming as well. Would be beneficial if it came with a control app for the streaming part. The only model I could find so far is the onkyo.

Secondly if I use a external dac, will any SACD player with digital out sound the same. Basically acting just as a transport. Thanks.

newlash09 said:
Hi all,

IAM trying to keep my box count to a minimum. So are there any good quality SACD players with inbuilt streaming as well. Would be beneficial if it came with a control app for the streaming part. The only model I could find so far is the onkyo.

Secondly if I use a external dac, will any SACD player with digital out sound the same. Basically acting just as a transport. Thanks.

There's the Oppo players. I use the 105, not streaming though as have solid-state hard drive attached. Oppo app is good.

Regards the last question then the sound will reflect the performance of the DAC it is going through. With the Oppo an external dac is unnecessary if keeping box count down.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. The oppo does seem to be a good bet. Albeit a pricey one. I already have a supposedly decent dac in my integrated amp. So was thinking of extracting maximum from my investment :)

I stream from hard drive , as well as from internet based streaming sites. I was initially considering the cxn+cxc combo. But sadly the cxc is a CD only transport. And I will also not need the dac inside the cxn. So all I need is a streamer + SACD transport with out a dac, but having app control. But IAM aware that such a product might not exist. As most people are not value addicts like me.

But never know when I can get lucky, and hence the post. Thanks.

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Sadly the output from SACD players is restricted and they can't output SACD audio via optical or coaxial, only the CD layer, so unless you have a DAC that accepts HDMI then you won't be able to use a SACD player as a transport

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks chelstondave. Will give it a serious thought then. But 1000 pounds, puts the oppo in the territory of the azur 851N, which is getting rave reviews for sound quality. So now will consider if I need a disc spinner at all.

chelstondave said:
Sadly the output from SACD players is restricted and they can't output SACD audio via optical or coaxial, only the CD layer, so unless you have a DAC that accepts HDMI then you won't be able to use a SACD player as a transport

Quite true. Unfortunately if OP wants to play SACD discs then he will need a SACD player even if the DAC in the amp could handle the bitrate, which is doubtful.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Just a thought - with the advent of the 205 going on sale, ebay are already showing 105 second-hand players at good prices. One on today at £550. Given the flexible nature of the Oppo (plays any file from anywhere) it might be worth a punt. They have a good reputation for reliability and exceptionally good support.

In my case it replaced £2k's worth of Tag McLaren player, the Oppo was easily on a par with it for SQ and blew it away for flexibility. Only downside for me was it didn't natively play Spotify. I do however have a Sony TV and play the Spotify TV through the Oppo via HDMI - problem sorted.

As you may have noticed I think it's a clever bit of kit.

jmjones said:
Just a thought - with the advent of the 205 going on sale, ebay are already showing 105 second-hand players at good prices. One on today at £550. Given the flexible nature of the Oppo (plays any file from anywhere) it might be worth a punt. They have a good reputation for reliability and exceptionally good support.

In my case it replaced £2k's worth of Tag McLaren player, the Oppo was easily on a par with it for SQ and blew it away for flexibility. Only downside for me was it didn't natively play Spotify. I do however have a Sony TV and play the Spotify TV through the Oppo via HDMI - problem sorted.

As you may have noticed I think it's a clever bit of kit.

It is, it is......

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Wait until the oppo 205 comes out there will be good deals or lots of used units available for much less money.

Sorry missed that this was already suggested.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Considering that the oppo will be placed in my audio setup. I will have to rig a HDMI cable almost 5 mtrs long to the av amp. Will this be Okay, or will I need a booster of some kind. Thanks.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
5 mtrs is fine for a hdmi cable, I myself use a 10 mtr to connect my blu-ray player to my projector with no problems that I can see.

I did however pay almost £40 for a decent cable but its my money and I'll spend it how I like.

*music2*

I recalled this thread when I read some news about a new product from T+A, an unashamedly state of the art brand. For the price of a nice family car, this item will do everything you need, and is remarkable for including SACD. Here is the press release.

"While the growing popularity of vinyl has been widespread, less well reported is the increasing popularity of SACD and its hi-res charms. With this very trend in mind, T+A has unveiled its new MP 3100 HV do-it-all multimedia player able to spin CD and SACD discs alongside radio from its FM and DAB+ tuners and HD streaming from network servers, while Bluetooth is on hand for wireless playback from mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones.

The basic design philosophy of the MP 3100 HV is based upon the existing MP 300 HV, meaning that DSD data is handled by the 1-bit converter in native form as a bitstream rather than being converted. This makes it possible to reproduce DSD data up to DSD512 via the USB input. Connections around the back include analogue coaxial RCA and balanced XLR outputs, while LAN and WLAN inputs are onhand for web streaming. Digital inputs, meanwhile, include a 24/192-capable AES-EBU, two 24/96 opticals, two 24/192 BNCs and a standard coaxial port.
There are two USB inputs, one for hooking up a memory stick or hard-disc drive, the other supporting asynchronous data transfer up to 384kHz (PCM) and DSD512. Operation is via the supplied remote control, while a T+A Control App is also available for smart devices. The MP 3100 HV is available to by now for £12,690 and is being distributed in the UK by Kog Audio."

nopiano said:
I recalled this thread when I read some news about a new product from T+A, an unashamedly state of the art brand. For the price of a nice family car, this item will do everything you need, and is remarkable for including SACD. Here is the press release.

"While the growing popularity of vinyl has been widespread, less well reported is the increasing popularity of SACD and its hi-res charms. With this very trend in mind, T+A has unveiled its new MP 3100 HV do-it-all multimedia player able to spin CD and SACD discs alongside radio from its FM and DAB+ tuners and HD streaming from network servers, while Bluetooth is on hand for wireless playback from mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones.

The basic design philosophy of the MP 3100 HV is based upon the existing MP 300 HV, meaning that DSD data is handled by the 1-bit converter in native form as a bitstream rather than being converted. This makes it possible to reproduce DSD data up to DSD512 via the USB input. Connections around the back include analogue coaxial RCA and balanced XLR outputs, while LAN and WLAN inputs are onhand for web streaming. Digital inputs, meanwhile, include a 24/192-capable AES-EBU, two 24/96 opticals, two 24/192 BNCs and a standard coaxial port.There are two USB inputs, one for hooking up a memory stick or hard-disc drive, the other supporting asynchronous data transfer up to 384kHz (PCM) and DSD512. Operation is via the supplied remote control, while a T+A Control App is also available for smart devices. The MP 3100 HV is available to by now for £12,690 and is being distributed in the UK by Kog Audio."

Very nice.... at very hard to swallow price. Love to own it though.

Superb upgrades available for an Oppo at one quarter of that price......

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
top of the range sony blu ray players do all that you require (at least i think they stream too)

not sure if its hifi enough tho

TRENDING THREADS