Good hifi-sound with a receiver for Tannoy DC6T 5.1?

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I currently own a pair of DC6Ts Signature from Tannoy and I can get a good price on the DC6 LCR. I currently run Rega DAC and Brio-R with the setup and I am wondering if something along the lines of Pioneer LX73 / Yamaha 3067 / Onkyo 3008 would produce similarly good results in stereo and also getting me the opportunity to play movies in surround.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't believe that those AV receivers will be as good with 2 channel - but that is just conjecture on my behalf and will have to be tried out for yourself. Would you consider a cheaper AV amp with pre-outs going into the Rega kit for stereo?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jakja83 said:
Well, the Rega Brio-R doesn't have HT-bypass so I can't use preamps from an av-amp I am afraid.

You can (I do); it's just a little bit more faff.

When you use for AV, the signal goes through both preamps. The volume is put to a set position on the Rega, and the AV amp is then calibrated as normal. Then when using for AV, just return the volume of the Rega to this set position, and control from the AV amp as usual.

Two channel works as normal with the AV amp off. The only downside is YOU MUST REMEMBER TO PUT THE VOLUME BACK on the Rega when switching from AV to stereo.

The slight degradation from going through 2 preamps is only for L&R (25% of the sound), so isn't a big issue. Just try to get an AV amp (with preouts) that sounds as close as possible to the Rega.

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Ok. I am pretty picky on my surround sound av levels and manually placing a potentiometer is not a very accurate way of setting things up IMO.

I will see if I have the opportunity to audition one of the Pioneer models. Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
No problem.

If you don't get what you are looking for from the Pioneer, don't rule out the above option. With a sound meter you can accurately match volumes, and its not hard to pin point a place on the Rega dial (say 12 o'clock), that is easy to find each time for AV.

Good luck with your search

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts