Good combo for 1500 euros

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi everybody, in the past I have had Pioneer PDD6 and AA6 with B&W 685 in my small room (15m²)

Liked it but not so tolerent with bad recordings and a little bit harsh some times.

Today I have 1500 euros for buying me another great combo.

I like Jazz, Blues, Soul, Funk, Gospel, RnB, Ska, Rocksteady and Salsa.

Listen mostly to a reasonable level, something like a loud laughing conversation.

For the speakers maybe with a non-metal tweeter is better for my taste and styles?

Let me know what do you think ;-)

Mickael Pili said:
Hi everybody, in the past I have had Pioneer PDD6 and AA6 with B&W 685 in my small room (15m²)

Liked it but not so tolerent with bad recordings and a little bit harsh some times.

Today I have 1500 euros for buying me another great combo.

I like Jazz, Blues, Soul, Funk, Gospel, RnB, Ska, Rocksteady and Salsa.

Listen mostly to a reasonable level, something like a loud laughing conversation.

For the speakers maybe with a non-metal tweeter is better for my taste and styles?

Let me know what do you think ;-)

Hi. I am not sure where in the world you are but your first step should be to get to a dealer and listen to as much as you can. I f you're buying a combo then you could get them to throw in extras like speaker cables or interconnects.

A lot of people will come on here with varied selections, some of them might even sound good to you, and some may sound dire. Nobody can help you decide as they don't have you ears or listening room. They can maybe help in drawing up a shortlist but as nobody knows what might be available to audition where you live even this is doubtful.

However if you were happy with the 685's in the past why not source another pair. That may be a start.

rainsoothe

Mickael Pili said:
right, and what do you think about dynaudio dm 2/7?

They're good, have good bass and smooth highs. Should work well with Cambridge Audio or Quad Vena, which I forgot about. The vena would also work great with Q Acoustics Concept 20 and Monitor Audio Silver 2. The Quad Vena has dac and Bluetooth. And looks pretty :D

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
DM 2/7s are very good for the money (£400 now). They need more power to get the most out of them, but still sound good with a decent 50W amp....such as NAD 326bee. Go have a listen.

matthewpiano

Dynaudio DM2/6 and DM2/7 are both superb speakers and stunning value at present. However, you might need to be fairly quick to get them as those are end of line prices. They are being replaced by the new Emit 10 and Emit 20 models.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Dynaudio DM2/6 and DM2/7 are both superb speakers and stunning value at present. However, you might need to be fairly quick to get them as those are end of line prices. They are being replaced by the new Emit 10 and Emit 20 models.

Ooo, they look nice. Specs are very similar or are they identical to the dm's? Surprised the larger ones are still 4ohm. I'm guessing dynaudio expect them to be played louder than some other brands of bookshelf??

matthewpiano

radiorog said:
matthewpiano said:

Ooo, they look nice. Specs are very similar or are they identical to the dm's? Surprised the larger ones are still 4ohm. I'm guessing dynaudio expect them to be played louder than some other brands of bookshelf??
Yes, there does seem to be little/no change in the spec. Nothing there to make me change my DM2/6 for Emit 10s and I would certainly suggest to the OP that it is worth jumping on a pair of the out-going DM series given the current prices.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
How low is low level? Low level as in only just above silent bedtime listening, or low medium level (small room,not rocking out, easy listening level)? For me they have been good. They have a warm taught sound. But I've not heard huge amounts of speakers, so don't really know how they compare at really low levels. They are def not bright though.

matthewpiano

My experience with the DM2/6 is that they are excellent at low volume levels - better than nearly every other speaker I've owned. They aren't particularly difficult to drive and, in fact, were developed to work with a wide range of amplification. Strangely the Rega RS1s are much more sensitive speakers, but they do need a bit of volume through them before they come fully alive.

TRENDING THREADS