Golden Oldies...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I can think of a select few items of classic hifi from the 1960s and 70s that are still made now in virtually unchanged form...

Koss PRO4AA headphones

Technics SL1200/1210 turntable.

Denon DL-103 cartridge

QED 42 and 79 strand speaker cable.

I can think of a few more items that originated in the 1960s/70s and have 'evolved', but are still essentially similar and true to their predecessors...

Sugden A21a and A21SE

Sterling Broadcast LS3/5A V2, (and various Harbeth and Spendor monitors with direct BBC lineage)

Rega P3-24

Linn LP12 Sondek.

Right now those are all I can think of off the top of my head.

Can anyone add the the list?

A

Anonymous

Quality tuners are an obvious one from the 70s. I just missed out on buying a nice Sansui I'd had my eye on.

Tannoy speakers of course. The older 12" and 15", HPDs, Reds, Golds etc - still command a huge price and those who love them would never swap for today relatively tiny speaker drivers.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Quad II.

First launched in 1953, designed by Peter Walker and in continuous production till 1970 .

Now back, relaunched and basically based on the original. A gloriously sweet and refined sound.

A

Anonymous

I give you the 'Peter' Belt. Driving hifi and it's secondary literature since 198x.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Most seem to have missed your point Chebby. I have to say I can't think of any to add to your list but wonder about QED 79 strand cable, can we add that?

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
went into asda today and thay were selling an album on cassette tape(chelsea pensioners)

of topic a bit but sort of golden oldie
emotion-21.gif

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
chebby:
andrewknight:Most seem to have missed your point Chebby. I have to say I can't think of any to add to your list but wonder about QED 79 strand cable, can we add that?

QED 79 strand speaker cable has been in continuous production since 1978 so it qualifies in my opinion.

Sorry Chebby, I hadn't seen it on your list so was offering it for inclusion, not doubting its place there.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Singslinger:How about Naim's NAC A5 speaker cable?
Not sure when it was introduced, but it's been around for decades in largely unchanged form.

According to Naim; NAC A4 was introduced in 1981 and replaced by NAC A5 from 1989 onwards.
NAC A4 can still be bought in the guise of Linn K20 speaker cable.

A

Anonymous

Haven't Yamaha's NS1000 been around in studios, unchanged, for decades?

A

Anonymous

I don't know when it was first produced but I think the Audio Technica AT110 cartridge still in production.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts