Going Home-Cinema Finally!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've recently found myself watching many more films than listening to music. I therefore want to upgrade my existing stereo system into a home-cinema system. I've got myself a projector I'm going to buy and my PC is a blu-ray player and has a digital TV tuner, but the rest, I need your help!

Because I still do listen to music, I'm going to get a AV receiver with pre-amp outputs so I can listen to stereo. My budget for the AV receiver is under £500. I also need a sub; I've been looking at the BK Monolith which seems suitable for the task in hand. As for speakers, I don't have that much free-space in my room, but I've got something planned.
3123406668_7aed58159c_o.jpg

Red represents speakers and the green is the subwoofer. The two rear speakers should be those "dipole" design ones and the side speakers will be slim floorstanders. Does this sound like a suitable set-up? What receiver/centre/dipole speakers should I look at?

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I think you need to look at one of the websites ( eg Dolby.com) re speaker placement. ÿIt looks like you'd like a 7.1 set-up, but with the sofa against the back wall that isn't really possible, I'm afraid. ÿYour 'side speakers' (surround left and right) should be at the side or a little behind your listening position. ÿThey will carry the majority of the surround effects and IMHO will sound odd if you put them in front of your listening position. ÿYou'll also need to experiment to find the best position for your sub. ÿI hope that doesn't come across as too negative, but it's important to get these things right at the planning stage.

A

Anonymous

Sorreltiger:I think you need to look at one of the websites ( eg Dolby.com) re speaker placement. ÿIt looks like you'd like a 7.1 set-up, but with the sofa against the back wall that isn't really possible, I'm afraid. ÿYour 'side speakers' (surround left and right) should be at the side or a little behind your listening position. ÿThey will carry the majority of the surround effects and IMHO will sound odd if you put them in front of your listening position. ÿYou'll also need to experiment to find the best position for your sub. ÿI hope that doesn't come across as too negative, but it's important to get these things right at the planning stage.

No sure - thankyou very much! That's not a sofa by the way, sadly it's my bed!!! Perhaps I should try a 5.1 set-up?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts