Going Green with Home Cinema

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This might sound cheapskate (but its very 'green' actually!). Does anyone know how much electricity an amp uses?

I went through a phase of just leaving it on all the time. But now I'm tempted to just switch it on when I'm watching HD content on Sky or a DVD. I mean, it doesn't have to be on when I'm watching SD content in sterio, does it??

It does mean a lifestyle change for me...I've got to get off my sofa to switch it on more often!!

Any advice out there? (No advice on healthy living please!!!!).

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Maplins sell those plug in devices which can measure power consumption. They're cheap. I have my Sky+HD box connected separately for video so I can use the amp or TV speakers. As for DVD/Bluray/Consoles, I use the amp. I have also programmed various macros (activities) so that I Can use either TV speakers or amp on my Harmony so I don't have to get up. I've often thought of investing in one of those RF extension sockets so that you can turn everything off by remote so nothing is left on standby. As it stands, everything is on standby most of the time, except when I'm away and only the Sky+HD box is left on. After spending £££s on mains cables etc. I'll wait!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for this. For some reason I typed amp, but meant to type sub - but I suspect your advice would be the same?

A

Anonymous

This isnt an expert opinion but you can guess by getting its rated power output, say for eample 60w and multiplying that by about 4 and that is roughly how much power an amp uses, some amps are more efficient than others so may use less

TRENDING THREADS