Going digital

dudleyperkins

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have an Arcam CD17 and an Arcam A28 amp, Kef IQ5 speakers.

The cd player has a digital output, (co-axial and optical). The amp has no digital inputs. Would the sound quality improve if I could connect to an amp with a digital input , (such as a Cyrus 6 DAC)? I belive a digital co-ax is better than an optical cable, is there a difference?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Personally I have a preference for co-ax but properly implemented there should be little difference.

Whether the Arcam’s own DAC or that of a separate Cyrus DAC would be better only you can decide, again I doubt there is much in it, perhaps a slightly different presentation. Either way I’d suggest it was money badly spent.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘going digital’ anyway, a CD player already is digital, just a transport and DAC in one box, a separate DAC or similar standard is going to be a sideways step, an extra box and you’ll just have a DAC inside your CDP doing nothing if you use the digital out. If using a CD at some point you’ll need to do some D to A conversion, adding a DAC just does it outside the CDP.

What are you actually trying to achieve? Does your system lack anything for you?

dudleyperkins

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
By going digital I meant the interconnects, I realise the DAC in the cd player would become redundant when the amp does the conversion.

I once owned a Fatman 182, the sound was superb but the reliablility wasn't. What I'm trying to do is regain that surperb sound but with the reliability on would expect these days. I may be going in the wrong direction, perhaps I should try Unison Research's Simply Italy.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dudleyperkins said:
By going digital I meant the interconnects, I realise the DAC in the cd player would become redundant when the amp does the conversion.

I once owned a Fatman 182, the sound was superb but the reliablility wasn't. What I'm trying to do is regain that surperb sound but with the reliability on would expect these days. I may be going in the wrong direction, perhaps I should try Unison Research's Simply Italy.

Hi DP

I'm familiar with the match between Kef IQ range and Arcam.....which imo is very good

If your amp doesn't have Digital In, you would need to go through an external Dac, which has Digital In and Analogue Out (to amp).

If you like the sound you are getting now (and enjoyed the Fatman), you might be better avoiding the more forward sounding brands like Cyrus.

Unison Research and Pathos make lovely sounding kit, and as I see it, you have several choices:

1. Up the performance with a Dac (probably a Rega)

2. Replace either/or/both Arcams for something different (eg. Pathos, UR, Creek, Electrocompaniet, Audio Analogue)....choices depending on budget /taste.

3. Consider the Streaming route, and look at something like the Linn Sneaky as a source.

The IQ5s are good enough speakers, but can imo sound a bit too "forward" paired with the wrong electronics.....they are also a little bass-light.... so it's worth noting that IQ7 (70s) and IQ9 (90s) can often be picked up on ebay for little money: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=kef+iq&_osacat=14990&_from=R40%C2%A0&clk_rvr_id=417662659605&afsrc="1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=kef+iq+70&_sacat=14990"

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEF-IQ7SE-SPEAKER-/251184097004?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3a7bbd26ec

Cno

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
dudleyperkins said:

Hi DP

I'm familiar with the match between Kef IQ range and Arcam.....which imo is very good

If your amp doesn't have Digital In, you would need to go through an external Dac, which has Digital In and Analogue Out (to amp).

If you like the sound you are getting now (and enjoyed the Fatman), you might be better avoiding the more forward sounding brands like Cyrus.

Unison Research and Pathos make lovely sounding kit, and as I see it, you have several choices:

1. Up the performance with a Dac (probably a Rega)

2. Replace either/or/both Arcams for something different (eg. Pathos, UR, Creek, Electrocompaniet, Audio Analogue)....choices depending on budget /taste.

3. Consider the Streaming route, and look at something like the Linn Sneaky as a source.

The IQ5s are good enough speakers, but can imo sound a bit too "forward" paired with the wrong electronics.....they are also a little bass-light.... so it's worth noting that IQ7 (70s) and IQ9 (90s) can often be picked up on ebay for little money: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=kef+iq&_osacat=14990&_from=R40%C2%A0&clk_rvr_id=417662659605&afsrc="1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=kef+iq+70&_sacat=14990"

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEF-IQ7SE-SPEAKER-/251184097004?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3a7bbd26ec

Cno

Or you could consider using a PC / Mac as streaming source, then a DAC makes sense. As previously posted, I suspect bypasing the DAC in a CD player isn't going to add much, if anything.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Or you could consider using a PC / Mac as streaming source, then a DAC makes sense. As previously posted, I suspect bypasing the DAC in a CD player isn't going to add much, if anything.

By-passing the Dac in the CDP may or may not be a good improvement, but without trying, the OP won't know for sure....the Arcam would at least make a good transport. Saying that, it wouldn't be my preference....which is why I gave other options.

The reason that I suggest the Sneaky (as everybody on here knows), is I think it sounds better than the alternatives....but any of the good streamers would do nicely.

TRENDING THREADS