Glider . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
What are you on about CJ...? i think we need more than that, well i do anyway :?

It will be answered 'Dandy C . . .' soon I hope . . . he was having a 'Benz Gider' cartrige fitted yesterday . . . I'm getting impatient :bounce:

CJSF :?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you what . . . I had my ears syringed this morning . . . what a revelation . . . I do have an on-going problem with my ears . . . 'who said they know' . . . ! :) But this time it was especially revealing, looking forward to Horlicks hour or three :dance:

Makes that acrylic platter mat even better than I thought!

CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh yes, yes, yes !!! Here she is...(I got my days wrong - it was fitted this afternoon).

First of all... thanks to Peter from Alternative Audio http://www.alternativeaudio.co.uk/.

He drove up from Somerset to fit it for me (making another visit too I hope, but was really keen to ensure that all was properly set up and rocking). Great to see a real hifi enthusiast who clearly loves his work - we chatted for over an hour before even starting on the cartridge switch.

Next, what a wonderful piece of engineering the Benz is. I hope the picture does it justice.

Secondly, what a great step up in sound...even though it apparently needs about 100 hours run-in.

Much deeper front to back sound stage (not sure what the correct terminology is) but more depth to the sound. Secondly, the bass is fuller and better defined. Much more detail coming through from the tracks.

We used Neil Young's "Harvest" to check all was working well. Stuff came out of it that I'd never heard before - it sounded like a different record, in a much better way.

Peter had also brought up an EAR 834P valve phono stage for me to compare with the Trichord Dino that I already have. Oh boy, what a combination...the sound was incredible.

As time was short (a day job was calling) I haven't had much more chance yet - but a long and enjoyable vinyl evening ahead.

I can see the EAR as an early birthday present to self perhaps. One thing seems to lead to another...in a good way.

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Oh yes, yes, yes !!! Here she is...(I got my days wrong - it was fitted this afternoon).

First of all... thanks to Peter from Alternative Audio http://www.alternativeaudio.co.uk/.

He drove up from Somerset to fit it for me (making another visit too I hope, but was really keen to ensure that all was properly set up and rocking). Great to see a real hifi enthusiast who clearly loves his work - we chatted for over an hour before even starting on the cartridge switch.

Next, what a wonderful piece of engineering the Benz is. I hope the picture does it justice.

Secondly, what a great step up in sound...even though it apparently needs about 100 hours run-in.

Much deeper front to back sound stage (not sure what the correct terminology is) but more depth to the sound. Secondly, the bass is fuller and better defined. Much more detail coming through from the tracks.

We used Neil Young's "Harvest" to check all was working well. Stuff came out of it that I'd never heard before - it sounded like a different record, in a much better way.

Peter had also brought up an EAR 834P valve phono stage for me to compare with the Trichord Dino that I already have. Oh boy, what a combination...the sound was incredible.

As time was short (a day job was calling) I haven't had much more chance yet - but a long and enjoyable vinyl evening ahead.

I can see the EAR as an early birthday present to self perhaps. One thing seems to lead to another...in a good way.

Hi DandyCobalt,

I have heard that the Benz cartridges are really nice although I haven't heard one myself.

I also have the Trichord Dino. Could you tell me how the EAR 834P sounded compared to the Dino. I have read that the 834P is a bit dull.

Many Thanks for your time

Kind Regards

Steve

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:

That sounds great Dandy . . . you sound like a very happy camper . . .

EAR . . . briliant kit, its what I had as my standard kit in the 80's and 90's, I had EAR 509 mono blocks, the EAR preamp and EAR MC Head step-up transformer, a superb combination I miss every time I listen to my present system . . .

I look forward to your future reports, enjoy . . . :dance:

CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
All I can say is that the 834P, with the Benz, was sublime.

I've really liked the Trichord Dino, but the 834 just took things to another level - it hadn't even really warmed up.

Perhaps it's to do with matching the kit - with Cyrus and B&W, perhaps they need a little bit of restraining or filling out - but the 834P provided a richness and fullness that the Trichord just couldn't match.

Oh dear .....

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
All I can say is that the 834P, with the Benz, was sublime.

I've really liked the Trichord Dino, but the 834 just took things to another level - it hadn't even really warmed up.

Perhaps it's to do with matching the kit - with Cyrus and B&W, perhaps they need a little bit of restraining or filling out - but the 834P provided a richness and fullness that the Trichord just couldn't match.

Oh dear .....

Dandy, you have discovered proper 'valves', and proper musical hifi . . . There are only a handful of people in the world who can put them together like that . . . lots of copiers, but I mean originals who set the pace.

By the way, did you need to use shims on the arm for VTA adjustment?

CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
No shims needed. In situ, the arm with Benz was level, maybe a very slight downward position when on the record (hardly noticeable, if any) and Peter thought this would suit it well.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
I'll tell you what . . . I had my ears syringed this morning . . . what a revelation . . . I do have an on-going problem with my ears . . . 'who said they know' . . . ! :) But this time it was especially revealing, looking forward to Horlicks hour or three :dance:

CJSF

Is it possible that this is the reason why the TQ Black didn't appear to give an improvement over the Linn s/c? Like I said back on that thread, I always like to understand why something hasn't worked as expected.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

Is it possible that this is the reason why the TQ Black didn't appear to give an improvement over the Linn s/c? Like I said back on that thread, I always like to understand why something hasn't worked as expected.

I thought this might come up . . . but no Cno, I have suffered with the problem on a 6 monthly basis since I was 14 years old. It usually starts to becomes an issue 2 weeks before I give in and go for a syringe and puts my judgment in question for only a few days, in this case, I stopped listening to music on Friday 20th, syringe Wednesday morning 25th.

Although I did sit and think about it . . . 'in respect of the acrylic platter mat'? . . . I have been able to go over that ground again on Thursday, as far as the platter mat performance is concerned, things are better if anything . . . until I moved the TT Friday morning (yesterday) to try some sorbothane feet, what a waste of time and effort that was!

The other point is Hazel has been in on all my change/evaluation sessions since Christmas. We have agreed at the time on all our findings, as I have said in the past, Hazel may not have the technical now how but she has a great pair of ears that I trust.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
That's fair enough...and I hope you realize I wasn't being in any way critical or smart; just curious.

Not a problem mate . . . I even thought about not mentioning it on the forum? . . . but I have nothing to hide on my views and evaluation, they are all in 'my humble personal opinion' . . . the cable evaluation was far enough back not to be affected.

Imagine what it was like when 'music sound and presentation' was a major part of my making a living?. I usually had to stop any listening for a few days . . . get on with some real work:rofl: Problem is, I get very grumpy and sometimes a bit dizzy if I dont get the timing right, the old dragon at the surgery can be difficult and not give an appointment soon enough :read:

CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just a note to say that Peter from Alternative Audio is letting me have an 834P for a week from Tuesday to properly audition it. Looking forward to it.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Just a note to say that Peter from Alternative Audio is letting me have an 834P for a week from Tuesday to properly audition it. Looking forward to it.

Peter knows what he is doing . . . thats an early birthday present then Dandy . . . :cheers:

CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Peter Downs from Alternative Audio did a 2 hour detour from his journey to the Munich high-end show to drop off a secondhand EAR834P phono amp (with new valves) for me to demo. Great guy - I highly recommend him - clearly a passionate hifi enthusiast.

Managed to get to listen to a few sides before heading to bed - it's been a very hard work week and the weekend can't come soon enough.

The records I listened to were "The Lion's Roar" by First Aid Kit (strong female vocals) plus a side of "Waiting for Columbus" by Little Feat (the reissue heavy vinyl version).

Superb sound - really wide and deep soundstage, lots of detail, a very enjoyable listen. Interestingly, even at what seemed a loud level, we could still chat away easily - strange.

Anyway, Mrs C has already seen through the charade of "demo'ing" the 834P -she knows I'll buy it (and so does Peter). Who am I trying to fool :)

Looks like my Trichord Dino and power unit will be heading for fleabay in the near future - I've really enjoyed the Dino and it's introduced me first to higher end vinyl listening, and also to moving coil cartridges. I'm sure it will find a good home.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thats the slippery slope Dandy . . . the next thing will be one of (or a pair of mono blocks?) Tim's power amps, of course, Mrs 'C', dont know about that yet???:rofl:

You are into serious amplifiers now my friend, enjoy . . . :cheers:

CJSF

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Would it be impertinant if one was to enquire what one might have to pay for such a wonderful device as an EAR 834P ? Naturally one wouldn't breathe a word to Mrs. C , if that makes a difference !

I also have a Trichord Dino + gubbins , and whilst I'm not in the market to change right now , I am always interested to read about possible upgrades .

Thanks .

Nick

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Secondhand, I think I have a good deal at £675 for a black MM/MC one. A new one is approx £1,200, unless you go for the more expensive chrome and gold one (same spec) for £1,700.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Secondhand, I think I have a good deal at £675 for a black MM/MC one. A new one is approx £1,200, unless you go for the more expensive chrome and gold one (same spec) for £1,700.

That does sound like a pretty good deal . You should be able to cover most of that cost when you sell your Trichord . I shall be paying more attention to this brand of products in future .

Hope you have many hours happy listening .

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Big changes in the Cobalt living room this weekend.

After several weeks, and formal presentations of business cases to the management committee (Mrs C), I spent two days moving all my gear from the corner to in front of the window, including the pioneer plasma.

A huge amount of work, which also involve installing a TV Lift for the plasma (it now disappears down behind the a/v rack of stuff, and below the level of the window...but so worth it !!!

This has meant that my main stereo CM8 speakers are about two feet from the wall and firing down the room.

The difference this has made to the sound from the stereo sources (mainly turntable and cd) is staggering.

The sound now seems to fill the room as it heads towards me on the settee, now directly in front of the speakers in a perfect position.

The room now has a 9.1 speaker system (but doesn't look overheavy (in my opinion, for a 4m x 3.5m room) and fabulous sound. (The room actually feels and seems bigger)

Next steps are to ceiling mount the sony projector and new screen (to be obtained) and I've got my "media room" without having to move house. Yeah !!!

TRENDING THREADS