Gingerbread update

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
only had my sg s2 monday so dont know what im on but im finding the whole phone awesome.

but the voice control keeps kicking in when i dont want it. I am starting at 7am with 100% battery and by 5pm when im home i have roughly about 45% is that about right. id say 1hours worth of net ect and a 1 hours of music playback. but neverending playing with the settings ect

SteveR750

Paul Hobbs said:
Battery life is a funny thing, hard to predict. Just leaving the city centre can significantly effect battery life.

:doh: I have found that when the phone is more than a few feet away from the mains charger, the battery discharges much more quickly.

A

Anonymous

Do you turn off bluetooth, update and wireless when not required, as I do? :)

Placing the 'power control' shortcut on your front screen makes this easy and effective..................

Mind, my Samsung Galaxy Ace has gone very slow and flaky since Gingerbread - no memory methinks or a dodgy app hogging services.
smiley-frown.gif

A

Anonymous

Wonder if there's a further update to solve this? Hmmm, I might plug in my Galaxy Ace and see if there is.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Just had 2.3.5 with Sense 3.0 update on my HTC DesireHD, don't like the lock screen "ring" but going straight to phone or messages from there is useful, can't say it seems anymore flaky but then it wasn't flaky in the first place.

SteveR750

I think HTCs UI was always in a different league from Samsungs wizz of whatever it's called. I preferred the slickness of my old Desire (though not the performance). My swype keyboard in email mode has suddenly taken on a life of it's own, which extremely annoying.

A

Anonymous

I think that's probably the last Gingerbread update for my Galaxy Ace. Shame, I used to have a Desire but wanted something a little bit smaller and had high hopes for the Samsung. Wonder is someone will buy me out my T-Mobile deal up to July 2012 for another phone?
smiley-cool.gif

SteveR750

I have similar feeling about the S2 Graham, it's painfully close to being perfect, but the small glcthes, the need to re-boot every other day to get the switch from wi-fi to mobile data. These things should *just happen* seamlessly. 95% of the time it works perfectly, and is fantastic; which makes a PC running windows more reliable....

A

Anonymous

i've actually found the stock task manager has helped with mine. You can free up RAM and I've also uninstalled lots of apps I didn't use.
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi there and welcome to the forums. It's the stock task manager which should be just on the add widgets? :)

A

Anonymous

My Galaxy S2 I recently bought still has 2.3.4 Gingerbread. 'Over air' update says no updates available? Any suggestions? Thanks. :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas said:
My Galaxy S2 I recently bought still has 2.3.4 Gingerbread. 'Over air' update says no updates available? Any suggestions? Thanks. :)

Bought off-plan or on a contract? If it's got a Phone company specific build on it you'll have to wait for the phone company to make the update available.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas said:
Contract. O2 - two years of this..........
smiley-cry.gif

Two years of what? They'll get round to it eventually. I'm on O2 as it happens but I got the upgrade through Carphone Warehouse and they only sell vanilla versions, no O2 specific OS's at all.

A

Anonymous

Carphone Warehouse for me too - so unless it's updated via Kies or they have withdrawn the 2.3.5? O2 is not a good a signal for me as my old T-Mobile where I use it (oop North, Durham area) hence my previous post.

A

Anonymous

Samsung Kies:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP :)

colinm66

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I updated to 2.3.6 and the battery performance seems a bit better.

You could also try the (free) app - JuiceDefender, that seemed to work for me.

I think I read somewhere that ICS is due out for S2 around end March (not 100% sure)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts