Gigabit Network Setup Help for Home

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

scene

AnotherJoe said:
- buy a 5-port gigabit switch like this for £8.54

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unmanaged-Desktop-TL-SF1005D-Plastic/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1341574137&sr=1-6

Errm, that's a FAST ethernet switch - 10/100Mbps only.

I think you mean to link the slight more expensive £12.99 TL-SG-1005D (G for Gigabit, rather than F for fast) here

EDIT: See you've spotted the error already... :grin:

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
scene said:
The_Lhc said:
scene said:
It's right and wrong :) The issue is whether or not your router or switch is "Smart" and can run different ports at different rates. If it is, then no problem, if it isn't, then you need to make sure all devices connected to it run at one speed. I know the NetGear switches I mentioned are like that,

That's a somewhat ambiguous statement, are you saying the Netgear switch WILL run at different speeds or won't?

As ever, you're right - poor English.

The Netgear smart gigabit switches I mentioned will support devices running at 10/100/1000Mbps plugged into them simultaneously and each will be unaffected by the speed of the other.

So if I have a gigabit rated laptop and Nas in the switch ports I'll get gigabit speeds when they're are communicating even though my SB Touch is in another port on the switch?

scene

AnotherJoe said:
already done it

Easy mistake to make - they all look alike and only one letter different! I use a TPLink for my main firewall / switch, but stuck with netgears for the routers as although they're a little more expensive, they're a bit smaller - the GS105 is tiny!

scene

mattjax05 said:
scene said:
The_Lhc said:
scene said:
It's right and wrong :) The issue is whether or not your router or switch is "Smart" and can run different ports at different rates. If it is, then no problem, if it isn't, then you need to make sure all devices connected to it run at one speed. I know the NetGear switches I mentioned are like that,

That's a somewhat ambiguous statement, are you saying the Netgear switch WILL run at different speeds or won't?

The Netgear smart gigabit switches I mentioned will support devices running at 10/100/1000Mbps plugged into them simultaneously and each will be unaffected by the speed of the other.

So if I have a gigabit rated laptop and Nas in the switch ports I'll get gigabit speeds when they're are communicating even though my SB Touch is in another port on the switch?

That's the theory...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
The_Lhc said:
scene said:

That's alright then, I've got one of those Netgear switches. I have only got one Gigabit capable device though, so it probably doesn't matter! :)

scene

The_Lhc said:
That's alright then, I've got one of those Netgear switches. I have only got one Gigabit capable device though, so it probably doesn't matter! :)

Reminds me of that joke about Alexander Graham Bell - who did he talk to after he invented the first telephone... :)

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
scene said:
Reminds me of that joke about Alexander Graham Bell - who did he talk to after he invented the first telephone... :)

"Thanks for calling Bell Telecom. You're call is important to us and will be answered as soon as possible."

A

Anonymous

I have thre computers with Gigabit Network adapters built in. There is an Internet connection with only a 10/100 router which I cannot change. They all connect to the Internet router through a new Gigabit switch. (I call it NETWORK A)

Internet connection speeds of all computers are as fast as they should be. However, I need to transfer shared files between the computers but cannot transfer at more than 10/100 speeds. If I disconnect the Internet router connection, speeds between computers move at Gigabit speeds. Reconnect theInternet connection and inter computer speeds goes down again.

I installed a second Gigabit card in each, and connected these through a separate Gigabit switch. (on a different subnet, of course, and there is no Internet connectivity on this network, I call it NETWORK B) But traffic between the computers will not flow over network B unless the original path (NETWORK A) is disconnected in at least one of the computers attempting a transfer. When that happens, speed through the second network moves at expected Gigabit speeds.

I have gone into the networking adjustments in Windows 7 and set the NETWORK A as the first connection priority. But no matter what, file transfers do not go through this network as long as NETWORK A is present.

Any assitance would be welcome. I am using Simple File Sharing, Windows 7, on a Workgroup. (Not Homegroup)

Thanks,

-- Doc

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
What gigabit switch are you using? My guess would be that you're using a cheap switch that slows all the connected devices down to 100Mbit when you connect one 100Mbit device. A good switch wouldn't do this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts