Gifted some Late 80’s gear.

Screamin

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Hi I am a new member but have been into stereo hifi for a while on a budget!

I was given some hifi components this week from a friend.

Audiolabor Rein preamp
Nakamichi CR-3E cassette deck
Sony CDP-333ESD Cd player
Onkyo T-9990 tuner

I have a basic knowledge of hifi owning early Rotel, newer NAD amps BEE, Marantz PM6004, Monitor Audio and Paradigm speakers Rega TT etc. And my Weltron 2007 UFO!

The Nakamichi brand I had heard of and of course the Onkyo and Sony.

The preamp is an Audiolabor Rein. From what I can gather from the very limited info online in english the company was german and produced high end audio components for a while and was owned by Helmut Brinkmann.
Happy for and comments and insight on any of these components esp the preamp. No idea on that one except I think they might have been expensive.

For some reason I can’t upload photos as it says the file does not have an allowed extension??

Thanks

insider9

Hi and welcome! What a lovely friend you have.

I don't have first hand experience with any of the above components. Not many will have a need for anything other than pre and CD player. Tape deck, being Nakamichi, should fetch a good price should you wish to move it on. Also looks like you've scored an amazing tuner.

Whatever you do don't listen to anyone who tells you this CD player is too old and tech moved on since then. I bet it's sweet sounding and would give a run for its money to many new models.

Reactions: Florestander

Screamin

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Thanks. I have ordered new belts for the CD player. So I’ll drop those in and try it in my system. CD player is a basic NAD C542 so it will be interesting.

The Nakamichi and tuner I don’t think I’ll keep. The Preamp god knows. I’d sell if if I had any idea what it is worth to the right person.

insider9

Shootout against C542 should be interesting. I remember enjoying C541 for a while. They're decent musical PCM based players. I'm a big fan of PCM chips. Sony is a TDA based player. And I believe it PCM1541 which sounds great. Even on 1541A form. Be interesting to know which one you prefer.

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I would fully concur with the thoughts of Insider9. Back in the day, this set up would have attracted many an envious glance! Are you going to keep and use it? There is certainly many a good tune played on an old set up, (to slaughter an old adage), and you could do far worse than listen to your music using that kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts