Getting tempted to switch again!

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been happy (for at least a month) with my current setup. Recently I bought a Roku set top box and began mucking around with Plex. Works great for movies and TV programmes, so have started to transition away from Sky.

Plex can also act as a music client and it presents a really nice interface (if you have Plex Pass) with artwork, artist info, playlists etc. I really like using the TV to choose music and to look at while listening. Roku only has HDMI output, which means the sound has to go into my cheapo Marantz AV box. Fine for picture. Bad for sound quality (even when using the pre-outs).

So now I am getting tempted to get a decent AV receiver (?!?!) and ditching the Abrahamsen amp, DAC, Anti-mode and Marantz receiver. Essentially I swap 4 boxes for 1. I'm looking at Anthem MRX receivers as they are reported to be good with 2 channel music.

Am I mad to consider swapping more boxes when I like the sound I am getting?

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Wilro ,

Before you go changing your amp again can a smart bluray player or TV with a digital out be used for plex , the app options on my Sonys seem to be constantly increasing , I'm away from home until tomorrow or I'd have a look for you .

James

PS is this going to replace your bluesound box ?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. How many forum members have been chasing rainbows for years, constantly swapping kit. I've been guilty of this myself at times. By all means add functionality as things advance, but leave the core (amp & speakers especially) as they are if you like their sound. You'll only be disappointed with anything else. All the music you know best will never sound "the correct version" ever again.

Are there other ways of adding Plex to your system? NAD for example do a DAC / preamp that has HDMI inputs. I think there are other manufacturers that have HDMI inputs. Alternatively, can't you put your Roku's HDMI into your TV, then use your TV's optical output to your DAC?

There must be a way of giving you this feature without ruining your entire system?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Leeps said:
Are there other ways of adding Plex to your system? NAD for example do a DAC / preamp that has HDMI inputs. I think there are other manufacturers that have HDMI inputs. Alternatively, can't you put your Roku's HDMI into your TV, then use your TV's optical output to your DAC?

There must be a way of giving you this feature without ruining your entire system?

Well the Marantz NR1504 can do that (or maybe the Marantz receiver you mention in the opening post), but indeed the HDMI --> TV --> SPDIF --> DAC looks like the neatest way to preserve the signal. And you won't need to add a fifth box to the hifi-pile... Just some more cable clutter...*smile*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
Leeps said:
Alternatively, can't you put your Roku's HDMI into your TV, then use your TV's optical output to your DAC?

... but indeed the HDMI --> TV --> SPDIF --> DAC looks like the neatest way to preserve the signal. And you won't need to add a fifth box to the hifi-pile... Just some more cable clutter...*smile*

+1

My BDP and PVR are both attached to my TV with HDMI and I have the TV's optical connected to my Marantz to get stereo sound from all three.

In your case a small, inexpensive DAC, with optical input, hanging off the back of your Abrahamsen amp would suffice. (Anywhere from about £25 upwards.)

So... Roku ---.> HDMI cable ---> Television ---> optical from television ---> DAC (with optical input) ---> amp.

matthewpiano

If you want advice from some of the itchiest feet on the forum... DON'T DO IT!

You've got a nice system there and you seem to really enjoy it. As someone else has already said, you'll soon miss it when your favourite albums and recordings somehow don't sound as good anymore.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the means (budget and storage room) to try the AV-receiver and keep the rest of the kit in storage for a couple of weeks? You could then see for yourself if it's worth the change or a step back, and decide what to sell on...

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your responses! I will definitely not be changing the core of my system, the Tannoys and Abrahamsen as they produce a really nice sound.

At the moment I have Bluesound --> Anti-mode --> DAC --> Amp --> Speakers. To bring in the Roku, I could do Roku --> HDMI-to-Toslink-converter --> Anti-mode --> DAC --> Amp --> Speakers. Thats a bit complicated and cuts out the Bluesound, at least while I try it out.

My Marantz is the NR1602. I tried Roku --> Marantz --> (pre-out) --> Abrahamsen Amp --> Speakers. The sound wasn't so good though, the Marantz pre-amp section obviously inferior. That is to be expected.

I've seen HDMI to Toslink converters (with a HDMI pass-through) on Amazon for around £35. Not sure of the quality - might be really jittery - but worth a punt?

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
Apologies to the OP.

Pleased to read Matthew is building his Regas back up. I know how thrilled he was first time around.
Thanks PP. Just waiting for the Apollo-R now, then it will be sorted. Actually, it is pretty pertinent to the OP - the regret I soon felt having parted with the Brio-R and Apollo-R is something I don't want someone else to feel!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
wilro15 said:
I will definitely not be changing the core of my system, the Tannoys and Abrahamsen as they produce a really nice sound.

If that's the case, buy as many boxes as you like. *diablo*

I have heard Electro ECI-5 paired with Tannoy Precisions, and with a good source, they were truly excellent.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
plastic penguin said:
Apologies to the OP.

Pleased to read Matthew is building his Regas back up. I know how thrilled he was first time around.
Thanks PP. Just waiting for the Apollo-R now, then it will be sorted. Actually, it is pretty pertinent to the OP - the regret I soon felt having parted with the Brio-R and Apollo-R is something I don't want someone else to feel!

Mathew, if you are considering second hand brio r, mine is up for grabs. Excellent condition, no hum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts