Get Your Vintage Hi Fi out now!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently plundered the loft and got together a record playing system comprising "retired" kit from over the years.

A SystemDek IIX with acrylic platter, Roksan Tabriz with Goldring 1012X , an original Audio Innovations Alto amp, a pair of very battered but great sounding Rogers LS6's and a Musical Fidelity "X" Phono pre amp. It sounded so good I even added some better cables (Nordost Flatline & van den hul interconnects) to enhance the sound. After so long with Home Cinema doubling up as a music system it's amazing the sheer quality of an analogue system!

John Duncan

[quote user="Ryelane"]
I have recently plundered the loft and got together a record playing system comprising "retired" kit from over the years.

A SystemDek IIX with acrylic platter, Roksan Tabriz with Goldring 1012X , an original Audio Innovations Alto amp, a pair of very battered but great sounding Rogers LS6's and a Musical Fidelity "X" Phono pre amp. It sounded so good I even added some better cables (Nordost Flatline & van den hul interconnects) to enhance the sound. After so long with Home Cinema doubling up as a music system it's amazing the sheer quality of an analogue system!
[/quote]

And I thought I had the fullest HifiDrawer around here........

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Only this morning i've listened to both our Revox reel-to-reel (which makes the harsh production of Duffy's Rockferry album a lot more bearable) and Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck...

John Duncan

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Only this morning i've listened to both our Revox reel-to-reel (which makes the harsh production of Duffy's Rockferry album a lot more bearable)[/quote]

It would take a lot more than different hifi to do that for me, I'm afraid.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm not disagreeing - it was him indoors' purchase. I can just about bear it recorded onto the Revox, but otherwise it grates. Sounds like she's breathed helium before singing. And someone needs to explain to her about vocal dynamics - rather than singing being 'on' or 'off'.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Am with both of you there. I read some spiel about her being the "new Dusty". After a listen, I can only wonder if the author of that piece had actually heard her album as apart from visually (style wise), there is no comparison whatsoever IMHO...

A

Anonymous

I still use an old Realistic receiver and speakers which I first got around 1985 and they were ex-demo then! Really just use it for radio now but every now and then it gets pressed into service with an old Nad cd player and turned up loud.

Also, have a Beocenter (amp, radio and tape) due back from repair soon so looking forward to seeing how that sounds...

Was eyeing up the old Akai system still at my mum's at the weekend and wondering if still works...

Old stuff rocks!

A

Anonymous

He He He, I just got my old 70's BSR Record Deck (Some good ol British Engineering) out the other day with the classy wood panelling LOL.

With a new Shure stylus fitted, Some Cambridge Audio Pearl interconnects a bit of tweaking here and there and then got her hooked up to my amp via a Nad PP2 and she sounds pretty darn good if a tiny bit out on the timing but hey it's a 70's deck that prob hasent been played much since then ROCK ON VINTAGE HI-FI!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am waiting for Mr. E to join us as he should remember plenty of, now become, vintage HiFi
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Would a 40 years old Philips radio qualify? (The ones with large transistors?)

John Duncan

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
I'm not disagreeing - it was him indoors' purchase. I can just about bear it recorded onto the Revox, but otherwise it grates. Sounds like she's breathed helium before singing. And someone needs to explain to her about vocal dynamics - rather than singing being 'on' or 'off'.

[/quote]

I see the question as more fundamental. Like - why?

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]

[/quote]

I see the question as more fundamental. Like - why?[/quote]

Ditto!

A

Anonymous

Whenever I'm bored I get out my dad's olde Akai GX210 reel-to-reel. It doesn't sound amazing but it's a fun listen.

John Duncan

[quote user="taxiboy"][quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]

[/quote]

I see the question as more fundamental. Like - why?[/quote]

Ditto![/quote]

I mean seriously. What has she added to the sum of human (musical) knowledge?

Give me Clare's dusty Dusty LPs any day.

(Edit - sorry, I do have this tendency to pull things OT, don't I?)

A

Anonymous

Before I went cheap and new I was a major vintage equipment apologist. Went through a Luxman, Marantz, Yamaha, then settled on the venerable rotel rx602. Ran that with my beloved Dual tt and a shuffle of old (huge) Advance speakers, Mission and realistics.

Ah the nostalgia of it all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts