General headphone question

Jimboo

Do not want wireless , would like a long lead , comfy and not bothered about noise cancelling. More bang for me bucks up to 300 quid. Already have B&W P3 , find them ok but not ideal.

D

Deleted member 188533

What are you using for a source? Got a decent headphone amp?

Gray

Try to get a listen to Beyerdynamic DT-1990.
It would mean upping your budget a bit (they've dipped to £350ish before) but you might think they're worth it.
Neutral sound, relatively comfortable, supplied with both straight and coiled, single-sided, detachable cables.

D

Deleted member 188533

The 1990 Pro or the K712 Pro. I think for general all around use I'd actually recommend the K712 Pro over the 1990 just for comfort reasons and the fact that I prefer the huge soundstage of the K712 Pro for gaming. Both need an amp though which is why I asked above. The K712 is actually harder to drive.

Gray

Yes the 1990 Pro are just that bit too clampy. I had them on loan so couldn't bend out the metal headband as others do.
Comfort is important, I've haven't tried the 712 Pro, plenty of others though - never found anything to beat my old Senn HD590 comfort wise.
(Make even the 600s seem a bit too tight).
As ever, sound wise it's all very subjective of course and audition should be compulsory for Jimboo.

Jimboo

Er, I don't have anything to plug them into yet. I am moving to Greece and I want to sit on my porch listening to music via headphones , hence the ability to plug into something as yet unknown with a longer headphone cable or a box? The long cable will drape through an open window .I will consider a head amp and will possibly buy a quality portable music player and in ears as well. My source ,mmm. I cannot use my wireless Kefs or the transport should I take them with me. Though I may resort to trad hifi bits and bobs or opt for a one box solution. I don't know how head amps connect so it may be possible to hook it up to the Kef speakers. I am unsure because I don't know wether to ditch my c.ds and records (ahhhhhh!!!) and rely on a one box bluesound , simple hi fi for the simple life.
The new house is very small and awkward shaped. I don't know how it will pan out. In ear buds will do for lazing on the beach with a portable player. I want good headphones to last me a long time and will buy a head amp if it brings benefits. Ideally connecting to the Kefs.I will not have the current luxury of my own room and will watch the wife paint while I listen in and out in comfort. I don't want to lose my cd's. So maybe a player head amp and phones. Is that possible?

D

Deleted member 188533

The K712 is as, if not more comfortable than my HD598s which I still use as daily drivers and for gaming just because of that comfort. Detail might even be better than the 1990 Pro ( I use the analytical pads with my 1990 ) and it has a better soundstage. They're my newest pair and I'm still surprised by how much I like them. I consider both the 1990 and the K712 to be an upgrade to the HD600/650 although the Sennheisers still have that amazing timbre and midrange. For an all arounder in the price range you should consider the K712 but they need quite a bit of power despite the 62ohm impedance rating.

What kind of budget are you looking at for a DAP? Fiio makes them at quite a few price ranges and even on the low end they sound very good. I have a little M3. I don't use it much since I got the LG V35 but it drives HD600s.

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 188533

I haven't tried the 1540s primarily because I've always heard they fall apart at anything higher than modest listening levels. Not that I blast headphones too often but that's a deal breaker for me.

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I'm afraid you're incorrect there, Al.

There's a subforum ("Headphones etc.") under HiFi, as well as a "Headphones" section separate to the HiFi section, which is visible on the main forum list.

It'd be handy if they were to magically merge overnight...

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts