Question Gel Speaker Isolation Pads For Bookshelves

Witterings

As a general question do the "cheap" gel isolation pads make any difference to the overall sound of bookshelf speakers and if so why, is it just so they don't resonate on the surface?

I have one pair that unfortunately there's nowhere else in the room I can place them apart from a small windowsill so the speakers are backed up to the window itself and close to the sidewalls as well.
Whilst I appreciate nothing will make as much difference as moving them, their positioning is so disadvantaged, I'd do anything else I can that might generally help improve the sound.

Even if it may not help with that scenario I have another pair much better positioned that again I'd get some for if it made much difference generally.

Any help appreciated

Tinman1952

As a general question do the "cheap" gel isolation pads make any difference to the overall sound of bookshelf speakers and if so why, is it just so they don't resonate on the surface?

I have one pair that unfortunately there's nowhere else in the room I can place them apart from a small windowsill so the speakers are backed up to the window itself and close to the sidewalls as well.
Whilst I appreciate nothing will make as much difference as moving them, their positioning is so disadvantaged, I'd do anything else I can that might generally help improve the sound.

Even if it may not help with that scenario I have another pair much better positioned that again I'd get some for if it made much difference generally.

Any help appreciated
I would think any form of isolation would help as it prevents transferring the cabinet vibrations to the surface they are sitting on. Desks in particular will benefit greatly as would I assume your window sill position. Certainly worth a try as they are inexpensive...
If you don't hear a difference you can always put them under your Hi Fi components! 🙂

Reactions: Al ears

Witterings

I would think any form of isolation would help as it prevents transferring the cabinet vibrations to the surface they are sitting on. Desks in particular will benefit greatly as would I assume your window sill position. Certainly worth a try as they are inexpensive...
If you don't hear a difference you can always put them under your Hi Fi components! 🙂

I think you've just sold it to me :) ... especially as the 2nd scenario I was referring to is my desktop setup.

Think I'll get one set anyway and try them in both scenarios and if it benefits just order a 2nd set.

Any idea if there's any difference between the cheap ones on fleabay

and more expensive ones?

Reactions: Tinman1952
You obviously realise your speakers are probably in the worst possible position they could be placed in so a cheap tel isolation might be worth investing in however I don't fancy your chances on much improvement with any glass being that close

Tinman1952

I think you've just sold it to me :) ... especially as the 2nd scenario I was referring to is my desktop setup.

Think I'll get one set anyway and try them in both scenarios and if it benefits just order a 2nd set.

Any idea if there's any difference between the cheap ones on fleabay

and more expensive ones?
I have a number of these Atacama gel pads under multiple bits of kit....good quality and designed for the job. I've heard stories of cheaper ones disintegrating into a sticky mess after a while....

Witterings

You obviously realise your speakers are probably in the worst possible position they could be placed in so a cheap tel isolation might be worth investing in however I don't fancy your chances on much improvement with any glass being that close

Yes but unfortunately there is literally no other place I can put them, I'd wall mount them out of choice but "The Boss" won't let me as it's her domain and I get away with murder elsewhere so I can't push her boundaries on this one.

I have a number of these Atacama gel pads under multiple bits of kit....good quality and designed for the job. I've heard stories of cheaper ones disintegrating into a sticky mess after a while....

No worries I'll take a look at those as cleaning up a "sticky mess" is never a pleasant experience ... gel pads or otherwise :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Tinman1952

Gray

See who might still be selling 'Foculpods' - the originals were made by Spectra Dynamics in Wales.
Mine stop my amp slipping on its felt feet and have lasted a couple of decades so far.
(But I don't consider anything durable until it's done 4 decades).

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Your other half won't let you have them in the room on a cabinet or some such but prefers to have wires trailing all over the window and speakers placed in view for all to see? seems odd but ok.

Just get some blu tac for a quid and see if that works if that doesn't work TBH nowt will. or you could try some squash balls cut in half.

If you have to spend money (i wouldn't in this case) you can get acoustic foam to go under the speakers.

You're not going to make any difference to the sound tbh they are so compromised but id certainly uses the blu tac as it stops them from moving around.

In all honesty, id get some small wireless speakers like some Sonos play 1's or similar at some point.
I think you'd have a fair better sound and time of it and it will look fair neater it doesn't sound like it is the main system anyhow.

Witterings

Your other half won't let you have them in the room on a cabinet or some such but prefers to have wires trailing all over the window and speakers placed in view for all to see? seems odd but ok.

Just get some blu tac for a quid and see if that works if that doesn't work TBH nowt will. or you could try some squash balls cut in half.

In all honesty, id get some small wireless speakers like some Sonos play 1's or similar at some point.
I think you'd have a fair better sound and time of it and it will look fair neater it doesn't sound like it is the main system anyhow.

Literally there is nowhere else to put them apart from wall mounted, and whilst it's not "The Main" system, it is the one that gets the most stereo use and the white speaker wires blend in against the white window frame so you really don't notice them.

I've got some blu tac in a draw somewhere (probably got squash balls up in the loft ... used to be a complete addict), I'll give those a try.

I did look at the Sonos 1's and also the Echo Studio as a pair but they'd still have to go in the same space, would need power leads as opposed to speaker cables and would probably be a step down from decent bookshelves which I recently upgraded.

manicm

Gel pads are better than nothing, just be sure to clean surfaces before sticking them on, and ensure the speaker can be firmly sat on your surface with the pads.

Otherwise consider investing in a stabiliser like from IsoAcoustics.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
A bit left field, perhaps, but if you do suffer resonances from your windows, I wonder if those removable stickers, such as MagicHooks, or cable hooks, might damp them out? You can remove them without leaving marks.

TRENDING THREADS