Garage system

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of piping music into the garage.

For about 180 quid I could get the play3 or for double that I could get a pair of Fostex PM0.4's and a connect.

Would it be worth paying double for the latter to get better stereo separation or would the play3 be good enough?

I've heard good things about the little Fostex monitors and there may be a way to set this up without an extra connect so I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Having recently acquired a pair of Fostex PM0.4n, I've been very impressed with the sound quality. Great clarity, imaging and dynamics for such a little speaker. Unfortunately I haven't head the Sonos. As I'm a big fan of having stereo separation/imaging, I'd go for the fostex.

Other considerations might be whether you prefer the cleaner/simpler setup of a Play:3 and whether or not you will really feel the benefts of a better stereo image. e.g. if you will be moving around the garage a lot, it won't be as good as if you are constantly working pretty much in the sweet spot.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
As the man says, it really does depend on what you want.

Presumeably you already have a Sonos system, so a Sonos solution would be consistent and work well, it just comes down to what standard you want to achieve and what you are prepared to pay.

There are dozens of small active monitors out there that will sound great with a Connect, best value I know of are these.......

248030_l.jpg

Studiospares/Seiwin 5a for just over £100 pair, bigger and more capable than the Fostex but bigger and not so pretty.

If your aim is to play a bit louder, the bigger, more potent 6a from the same source is around £140.

http://www.studiospares.com/headphones+speakers/studio-monitors/icat/heastudiomonitors?sort=onhand&parentCategoryRef=heastudiomonitors&order=desc&q=*&brand=Studiospares

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
It's just background music whilst I'm working in there, with that I probably won't be in one spot.

With the Fostex and Seiwin's, you can't believe the price (unfortunately I can't get the Seiwin's over here)

I probably just need to have a listen to the play3 and see how that feels, the Fostex would be a blind buy, but any review I've read says they're a good buy.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
davedotco said:
So where are you skip, not Oz by any chance?

Actually no... Near Calgary in Alberta.

Skipton's my middle name

OK.

Must be tons of studio type gear available from the US, M-Audio, KRK, Mackie etc, etc. The US market is largely a mystery to me.

As has been said, depends on what you want.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
skippy said:
It's just background music whilst I'm working in there, with that I probably won't be in one spot.

That's pretty much what I was getting at.

As you already own Sonos then the Play3/5 with a cheap tablet on the wall for control or maybe even just the tablet & a half-decent set of 2.1 PC speakers.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Crocodile said:
skippy said:

That's pretty much what I was getting at.

As you already own Sonos then the Play3/5 with a cheap tablet on the wall for control or maybe even just the tablet & a half-decent set of 2.1 PC speakers.

This is probably the right way (certainly the simplest) provided the network reaches the garage, I can use the phone to control it so no probs there.

Dave, I'm looking at potentially getting Mackie 624's for the basement in the future (we spoke about this recently). I'm just waiting for a coax cable to be delivered at the mo'. I'm going to run this to the basement and see whether I'll be able to use the Sonos downstairs. Not exactly multiroom, but it'll save me a few quid on buying another connect. If it works I'll be able to play through the cinema speakers until I get the Mackie's'

TRENDING THREADS