Galaxy S3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Sliced Bread said:
Thanks chudleighpaul. So do you prefer it to the One X Max? I think I do.
Yes, the battery life is better, it seems to me to be smoother in operation, maybe even a tad faster, I find texting much easier and it looks great to me, so does the HTC which is also better made, IMO, but I much prefer the S3 so far, I've yet to try out the music player which is very good on the HTC, I'll report more later :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
Sliced Bread said:
Yes, the battery life is better, it seems to me to be smoother in operation, maybe even a tad faster, I find texting much easier and it looks great to me, so does the HTC which is also better made, IMO, but I much prefer the S3 so far, I've yet to try out the music player which is very good on the HTC, I'll report more later :)

Having had a quick look, I agree on the build. Ultimately they are almost the same in spec, so it comes down to which you like the look of and which launcher you prefer. Personally I prefer my One X, HTC Sense, and haven't had any of the software or hardware issues that some have reported.

Either way, both great phones that if you can accomodate the size, blow away the main competition.

What battery life are you getting by the way? I manage around 40% left after 24 hours with my typical use (GPS on standby(location services on, wifi and mobile network on, screen on Auto). But then I don't play games and that includes 6 or 7 hours in bed. Mainly calls, camera, Spotify, a bit of browsing.

Right now it's on 81% with 45 mins of screen time, 5 hours and 8 mins on battery, a couple of voice calls, some Instagram, some SMS and browsing.

Haggy792

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
As already stated it is unbelievably fast, however I have a couple of issues:

The gimmick that it keeps powered on while you are looking at it doesn't work and more importantly but no Samsungs fault Naim don't have an Android version of n-Stream available

A

Anonymous

fr0g said:
ooh.. said:
Sliced Bread said:

Having had a quick look, I agree on the build. Ultimately they are almost the same in spec, so it comes down to which you like the look of and which launcher you prefer. Personally I prefer my One X, HTC Sense, and haven't had any of the software or hardware issues that some have reported.

Either way, both great phones that if you can accomodate the size, blow away the main competition.

What battery life are you getting by the way? I manage around 40% left after 24 hours with my typical use (GPS on standby(location services on, wifi and mobile network on, screen on Auto). But then I don't play games and that includes 6 or 7 hours in bed. Mainly calls, camera, Spotify, a bit of browsing.

Right now it's on 81% with 45 mins of screen time, 5 hours and 8 mins on battery, a couple of voice calls, some Instagram, some SMS and browsing.
I've only had it a day or so so can't be more precise on battery use, though it does appear to be less hungry than my One X was.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
I've only had it a day or so so can't be more precise on battery use, though it does appear to be less hungry than my One X was.

From experience it takes a week or 2 for the battery to be at its best. That could of course be down to the extra use it gets as a new toy, but I think they definitely settle in after a few charge cycles.

A

Anonymous

fr0g said:
ooh.. said:

From experience it takes a week or 2 for the battery to be at its best. That could of course be down to the extra use it gets as a new toy, but I think they definitely settle in after a few charge cycles.
That might take a while, I've just been offered e500 for it, I only paid e430 so..... :)

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Wow I can't wait to get my hands on the S3 after watching a video about USB OTG and what you can use with the phone, PS3 controllers, hardrives etc. Can't post the link directly incase of dodgy youtube comments but if you search on youtube.com for "samsung galaxy s3 connectivity demo" by NZtechfreak I think you will be suitably impressed.

A

Anonymous

Sliced Bread said:
Yay...my s3s back and good as new :)
Happy days :)

I just bought a 5 week old 4S for e330 and a guy wants to swap for a week old GS3, I'm hitting the road 8)

A

Anonymous

fr0g said:
maxflinn said:
Sliced Bread said:
Yay...my s3s back and good as new :)
Happy days :)

I just bought a 5 week old 4S for e330 and a guy wants to swap for a week old GS3, I'm hitting the road 8)

Is he insane?
Grrr, I have to give him e40 with the 4S, so he's not totally bonkers, though I'd say he thinks I am :)

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
USB OTG is not just limited to SG3 - you can try it on most newish androids.

You an also connect a ps3/xbox controller wirelessly to an android phone, and certain phones will allow the display to be mirrored to a tv or even use the tv in multiple display mode.

Note that if you have an MHL cable from a previous Samsung phone you will need to get an SG3 one, as samsung have changed the pin connections.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Finally got my my hands on my blue S3, using it to type this message. Loving it so far although need to play with the phone some more after upgrading from a nokia5310. Looks very sexy in blue and feels nice in the hand, loving the screen. About four times bigger than my old phone in screen size and much prettier

A

Anonymous

Well, my love affair with the Galaxy S3 is over, and we won't be getting back together. The phone has one fundamental flaw, IMO, it's corners are too rounded, and when switching to landscape mode it's very easy to hit the back button with the inside of the index finger, it' happened once too often and was flogged.

This is a consequence of them trying to fit a huge screen into as small a chassis as possible, whilst trying to give the phone a nicer look in rounding off the corners, they've left the back button too close to the edge. I'm now using a HTC One X again and loving it, it's a better designed phone, it's screen is almost as big but while the corners are also rounded, they're not too rounded and there's no problem using it in landscape.

Having been so annoyed with this issue that I got rid of a phone that I really liked, I can foresee many others feeling the same, and Samsung's version of Siri, S voice, is very poor in comparison, so While I've no doubt the S3 will be a huge hit, I expect there to be many frustrated owners.

Sliced Bread

I can't say that has been a problem for me. I was far more concerned with the bugs and faults in the One X.

With that said, the One X (like the S3) is a great device. I would be happy with either of them :)

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Sky have finally produced an app for SkyGo for this phone. Downloaded it last night, works well on 3G.
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS