GAIAs will be better?

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
I previously used to own a pair of B&W floor standers which were standing on factory provided rubber feet on my tiled floor. Then I added isoacoutsitcs GAIA and I remember what an amazing upgrade it was to my system. I had later sold those speakers off along with the GAIA footers and got a pair of bookshelves. Now that I am back to floor standers and was about to pull the trigger to get GAIA footers for them, I thought I would give washing machine rubber feet (had quite a few in the house) a go. I do notice a significant improvement in the sound, low end clarity wise that is...a very similar impact I recall when I had put in the GAIA footers user my B&Ws.

Is this as good as it is going to get or can the GAIA footers make a bigger impact? Anybody has similar experience?

Reactions: bigfish786

manicm

If it works why spend more? My circumstances once dictated I use my bedside pedestals to place my bookshelf speakers on. They were sturdy, stable, made of solid wood, and you know what? They were better than any dedicated stands I had. Bass, imaging, the works were just that bit better.

Reactions: Fahad
I previously used to own a pair of B&W floor standers which were standing on factory provided rubber feet on my tiled floor. Then I added isoacoutsitcs GAIA and I remember what an amazing upgrade it was to my system. I had later sold those speakers off along with the GAIA footers and got a pair of bookshelves. Now that I am back to floor standers and was about to pull the trigger to get GAIA footers for them, I thought I would give washing machine rubber feet (had quite a few in the house) a go. I do notice a significant improvement in the sound, low end clarity wise that is...a very similar impact I recall when I had put in the GAIA footers user my B&Ws.

Is this as good as it is going to get or can the GAIA footers make a bigger impact? Anybody has similar experience?

i had thought about trying the washing machine anti vibration feet myself, but I’ve changed my speakers now, and they don’t have the same bass boom as the others.

can’t see why they wouldn’t work almost as well as the isoacoustics. For a damn sight less money.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
As a GAIA convert, I can't recommend them highly enough.
That said, if you're experiencing an improvement almost free of charge, you just need to weigh up how much more improvement a set of GAIAs will give and simply do the maths. Tough one, as it's the not knowing for certain that will get you!!!! :LOL:

Reactions: Fahad and Al ears
D

Deleted member 160668

Yes, the Gaia's are better than washing machine anti vibration feet. Substantially better.

If you can be bothered to look to find it there is an incredibly long thread on Wigwam where I've tried most stuff (including washing machine feet), before finally buying Gaia's.

I recently sold my Gaia's and floorstanders and bought some standmounts. However, in an about shift I've recently picked up some floorstanders again. My whole kit is currently in storage for house works. However, my promise to myself before I set it all back up again... Yep, you guessed it, more Gaia's! They are truly excellent and immediately noticeable.

Unfortunately now though my speakers weigh 44kg, so it's pretty pricey for me as I'll need to pick up Gaia II.

Get a set, you won't regret it.

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Thank you all...one thing for certain, the washing machine feet does clean up the low end substantially in my room,..I played it for two weeks considering they were brand new to see if there is any "break in impact" before putting on the washing machine feet. The speakers are a bit too big for my room anyways and they were a bit boomy which was cleaned up by the feet.

Last edited:
Oldies like me remember a few decades ago the obsession with everything being tightened excessively and spikes everywhere. Contrary to popular belief, spikes don’t isolate but couple, very securely as long as you don’t touch anything!

In the last decade or so, speakers companies like B&W and QAcoustics have found that decoupling drivers with lossy fittings, and even making gel-lined cabinets gives better results. Many do the same now.

IsoAcoustics have dominated the market for these add on devices, and they’re universally praised. There are cheaper alternatives, like SoundCare super spikes, but GAIAs have cleaned up!

D

Deleted member 160668

Oldies like me remember a few decades ago the obsession with everything being tightened excessively and spikes everywhere. Contrary to popular belief, spikes don’t isolate but couple, very securely as long as you don’t touch anything!

In the last decade or so, speakers companies like B&W and QAcoustics have found that decoupling drivers with lossy fittings, and even making gel-lined cabinets gives better results. Many do the same now.

IsoAcoustics have dominated the market for these add on devices, and they’re universally praised. There are cheaper alternatives, like SoundCare super spikes, but GAIAs have cleaned up!
NB: Soundcare superspikes couple not decouple so are not anything like Gaia's - I contacted them in my quest mentioned above.

Reactions: nopiano
D

Deleted member 160668

Found a set of used GAIAs (3) and a set of matching threads for my speakers. Paid around 50% of the MRP for the GAIAs.
Put them on, and what do you know, didn't know my speakers were this good :cool:
Not unexpected, but congrats! They are very good!

Even though all my kit is in storage I've just re-joined the Gaia club too. I managed to buy a new double set of Gaia II for £425 which are being posted to me from Romania. Result.

Now just need all this bloody work finished on my house so we can move back in. Then I'll set all my kit back up. Cannot wait....

Samd

Two questions please:
1. Are the Gaias robust enough to take the 'occasional' move around by sliding on carpet or does one have to lift the speaker to move it?
2. I have carpet over suspended floorboards - prime target for Gaias or not so much?
Thanks!

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Two questions please:
1. Are the Gaias robust enough to take the 'occasional' move around by sliding on carpet or does one have to lift the speaker to move it?
2. I have carpet over suspended floorboards - prime target for Gaias or not so much?
Thanks!
They stick to the tiled floor I have...believe you are meant use spikes that iso acoustics sell for their GAIA footers.

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
I thought you are supposed to use carpet discs (whatever they are)? Are not Gaias de-coupled?
You are supposed to use this for medium to thick carpets

Gaia is supposed to have a strong connection with the floor. unfortunately, i have only used Gaia on tiled floors…never on a carpet. Guess I should not comment on the impact it may or may not have.
May be someone else has that experience…

D

Deleted member 160668

Two questions please:
Thanks!
Hi Samd, whilst I've not used the carpet spikes (linked above) which you will need, you will almost certainly get a serious benefit from Gaia's as you have a suspended floor. I also have a suspended floor - they are great. A once you've tried them you can not go back type of product.

As for the robustness, yes they are very well made. You'll see this when you buy a set, and based upon your comment on the suspended floor, imo absolutely you should.

Samd

Thanks for all the replies - very useful but a tad confused vis a vis de-coupled on tiles yet coupled on carpet with spikes or am I not reading that correctly - overdraft for £600 ready!

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
The Gaia’s, as I recall, have a thin rubberised base, which, I suspect, will suck itself to a vinyl floor. If you are using them on carpet, you will not be able to slide them once they are resting on the carpet spikes.
I would also treat them like an upgrade to one of your main components, they are expensive so demo them if you possibly can. I demoed for 10 days before deciding.

Reactions: jjbomber

Samd

The Gaia’s, as I recall, have a thin rubberised base, which, I suspect, will suck itself to a vinyl floor. If you are using them on carpet, you will not be able to slide them once they are resting on the carpet spikes.
I would also treat them like an upgrade to one of your main components, they are expensive so demo them if you possibly can. I demoed for 10 days before deciding.
Thanks Sally - that's my point. Why do I need spikes to couple the Gaias to my floorboards 'cos I have carpets yet not were I to have vinyl (and therefore be decoupled)
I have not seen any outlet offering 'try or buy'

Reactions: Al ears
Thanks Sally - that's my point. Why do I need spikes to couple the Gaias to my floorboards 'cos I have carpets yet not were I to have vinyl (and therefore be decoupled)
I have not seen any outlet offering 'try or buy'
I believe the thinking is that, for the Gaias to work optimally and to offer better stability, they need to have a good contact with the floor itself. Obviously a thin layer of vinyl flooring isn't going to stop that happening whereas a thick carpet will.
This is where the spiked feet come in, to get that good contact with the floor back.
Having said that I only have a thin carpet in my bedroom where my speakers are so I haven't yet bothered to buy the spiked feet......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts