fuzz sound?

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
hi

i seem to get a slight fuzz sound when turning the amp volume knob , but the strange thing is ,it seems to be only on cd-r copys , my normal cds seem ok

i also here a lot of fuzz in the background on copied cd's from itunes

my setup is

nad c320bee / arcam cd73 / monitor rs1 speakers

is there anything i can do to get rid of the fuzz?

*edit*

just one more thing i would like to get a merlin classic mains cable for my cd73 , which option do i select for pin type? im UK

Connection Type*

Please select the connection type you reqire

2 Pin Figure 8 Style (5 amp)

3 Pin Standard IEC (10 amp)

Gold/Silver Plated IEC (10 amp) & Fuse - Add £15.00

cheers

John Duncan

Don't know about the fuzz. What bit rate are the songs which you subsequently burn to CD?

As for the plug, you need the IEC style, but whether you go for the normal one or silver (better than gold IMO) plug for another 15 quid is up to you.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
hi

im not sure about the bitrate , i burned a album by nick cave (nocturama) from itunes onto cdr and when i play it there seems to be a lot of noise in the background .

what bitrate is the best , and where can i find it on itunes?

cheers

p.s thanks for the plug info

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Ah. That could be part of your problem. iTunes generally only gives files in 128kbps (or 256kpbs for iTunes+ files). 128kbps does not hifi make.

But is shouldn't cause background noise.

Have you tried making a copy of a commercial CD, and seeing if that has the same issues?

A

Anonymous

Don't want to comment on mains leads.

Tyry making a lossless copy of one track form a CD you own using something simple like WMP. Now burn that one track to a good quality CD-R.

Try playing that in your player and comparing it to the original.

If you still have noise it's probably happening buring the burning process.

A

Anonymous

To check what bit rate of your files in itunes go to view options and click the bit rate option.

Have you tried the music which fuzzes on other systems? This would rule out a problem with the files.

Are the cdrs quieter than normal cds so you need to turn the volume up? If so you are simply highlighting external noise which is not audible at lower volumes.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Octopo:

To check what bit rate of your files in itunes go to view options and click the bit rate option.

Have you tried the music which fuzzes on other systems? This would rule out a problem with the files.

Are the cdrs quieter than normal cds so you need to turn the volume up? If so you are simply highlighting external noise which is not audible at lower volumes.

Good point and one I should have remembered. I find when ripping vinyl I've got to reset the levels to get a decent signal strength (level) in the ripped track. It didn't occur to me that commercially downloaded tracks might suffer from this problem. A lot of ripping or copying software seem to be factory set to very safe settings to avoid any chance of clipping during recording.

A

Anonymous

Not only background noise on the recordings but interference on his cables as well, depending on what cables he has.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
hi

all my hifi cables are fairly good , i use mark grant interconnects and chord carnival speaker cable , its only my mains that im considering upgrading.

perhaps some music does just come with noise?

cheers

A

Anonymous

iec but not gold or silver. Neither are any good on the mains. any movement that comes close to a spark will make a mess not a good connection. Also remember how far this power has come, your making a mint connection this end is utterly pointless unless you really think its the weakest link.

Never looked at hifi power cables, but i do know these cables present at least one problem. There 10amp and in the uk we only recognise 3 amp and 13 amp fuses (im qualified to test portable appliences). Thus, strictly speaking, you can only have a 3amp fuse in use, which is not 'hifi' for a torroidal transformer if you want to see the high currant gains they offer over normal transformers. Most are however 1mm square conductors which can be used with a 13amp fuse despite not being type approved. you will see this on kettle leads but there hot condition iec leads and under a meter. Its a grey area where you need to be qualified in test&inspection aswell to make the decision if its allowed. What you need is a thicker core, like a 1.5mm or more. A 4mm would be nice. Most uk sockets are fed on a couple of 2.5's so thats as much as your getting, and its through a 13amp fuse which will blow 'one day' at around 17amps (thermal fuses such as this have a x1.6 fusing factor). The ideal cable is perhaps a 2.5 for no nonsense supply. The contact area of the plugs and sockets will then be the weakest link. The other hifi concidderation will be shielding. I ofton get a 50hz test tone by wrapping a cable round a mains lead then into my phono stage. Your interconnects and equipment boxs should offer enough sheilding but every little helps.

I just had a look. a shielded 1.5mm cored iec cable is under £30 so i guess it aint so bad. Still comes with a 10amp fuse, which im not allowed to tell you can go in the bin in prefference of a 13amp which is ofcource going to flow better.

edit: i say this as an electrician, not an audio engineer

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
sorry but that really has confused me
emotion-42.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts