Fronts improvement: Wharfedale 9.1., 10.2 or Evo 2-8

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I would like to improve my current speakers but, I would not like to have to change the 5 of them so I was thinking about the possibility of upgrading the fronts without creating an integration problem. Currently I have Wharfedale 9.1. with the CS as center and CRs as surround.

Would the 10.2 or Evo be a worth it improvement?

In future I am cosidering to add the subwoofer SW150 or another sub if needed.

Thanks, P.

A

Anonymous

I would say no. the diamond range is all pretty much the same, and I would not but the 10.2 from the 9.1

I had the 9.1 and went to the Monitor Audio RX1, then wanted more even though the RX1 sounded great, so bought the RX6

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
canada16:
I would say no. the diamond range is all pretty much the same, and I would not but the 10.2 from the 9.1

I had the 9.1 and went to the Monitor Audio RX1, then wanted more even though the RX1 sounded great, so bought the RX6

A little off topic, sorry! When did you get the RXFX Canada and how are they sounding??

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

Thanks, I am having that feeling too so that is why I have doubts but, moving to a different brand will mean start all over from scratch. Maybe the Wharfedale Evo 2-8 since they are suppose to be a bit better line. If none of these would make a reasonable improvement then I may just focus on the subwoofer. My room is not very big so, I need something balanced.

A

Anonymous

grdunn123:canada16:

A little off topic, sorry! When did you get the RXFX Canada and how are they sounding??

I havent, the were supposed to be shipped on friday, waiting in all day today, and nothing.

Maybe delivery guy got in an accident or something. its killing me, been watching movies with no rear speakers.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
canada16:grdunn123:canada16:

I havent, the were supposed to be shipped on friday, waiting in all day today, and nothing.

Maybe delivery guy got in an accident or something. its killing me, been watching movies with no rear speakers.

....which is like making love to a beautiful woman without the....woman

A

Anonymous

grdunn123:canada16:grdunn123:canada16:

....which is like making love to a beautiful woman without the....woman

Something like that.
emotion-2.gif

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Rendu,

I have not heard the Evo but i have heard 9.1 & 10.1 side by side.

The 9.1 is a very mellow speaker, laid back. It has a very good sound. The 10.1 is more exciting, attacking and more detailed.

Now that is more of a quality required for movies duty.

Going from 9.1 to 10.1/10.2 will not give you a great jump in music quality.... But it will give you a noticable jump in Sonics, Detail, Bass, attack. Now that will make your movies experience much much better...!!!

Since you want to do this upgrade for movies use i can say that it will be a noticable and worthwhile improvement and also you existing AVR should be able to drive the 10.1/10.2 as good as it drives your current 9.1

If you go for a higher priced speaker keep in mind that you might have to consider a newer and slightly more powerful AVR to do justice and bring out the best from a speaker costing more than 9.1/10.1/10.2

Keep you options open but at the same time going upto 10.1/10.2 is also a good if not a great move...!!

Just my 2 cents.... and hope it helps you ;-)

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, this is the most difficult part of making decissions without having the chance of testing. The only quality dealer that sells hi-fi is 300 km from here and they do not even like to let people test. The last time I have contacted them they told me that the products are closed in the box and sealed for the customers to pick them up so that it is very difficult to test things. They only want to sell, sell, sell. I will have to speak with them and see what are the chances, if the change of fronts will not make a significant improvment then I will just add the SW150 and close the loop. Anyway I like very much the 9.1s sound it is just that I have the feeling that they sound small and I want the same type of sound but BIG.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I would really appreciate some opinion about the possibility of the Evo 2-8. I can get them for 200 pounds but I would only like to spend the money if it is really and improvement. The other possibility is to keep the 9.1. and save the 200 for a better subwoofer.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

As I said before, you are not going to hear the difference, You are going to be wasting your 200.00

Were do you live? maybe try ebay for second hand, I sold my Monitor Audio mint cond for 280.00,and I would rather save a bIt more.

What about ex demo, surley you have on-line shops were you live? call them they have lists of B stock,but they will only tell you if they either know you or have it in stock.

Trust me, I had the Diamonds, and I was not impressed. and going from the 9.1 to the 10.2 you might see a bit more bass but not much.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

As I said before, you are not going to hear the difference, You are going to be wasting your 200.00

Were do you live? maybe try ebay for second hand, I sold my Monitor Audio mint cond for 280.00,and I would rather save a bIt more.

What about ex demo, surley you have on-line shops were you live? call them they have lists of B stock,but they will only tell you if they either know you or have it in stock.

Trust me, I had the Diamonds, and I was not impressed. and going from the 9.1 to the 10.2 you might see a bit more bass but not much.

Thanks Canada, I live in Gijon (small city in the north of Spain). As you have mentioned most of my purchases have to be through ebay or internet shops because here we do not have any (only a very small local dealer). This is why I even have to relly more on experiences from other people or from magazine reviews.

I have just discussed with the shop and they tell me that the Evo are totally different line than the diamonds. Same as you, they did not recomend to go for another diamond, however they did recomend to try the Evo. They have them on sale for 250 Eur when the original price was 500 Eur. They have offered 7day trial with possibility of return so, I may give it a try. I will only loose the transport cost. Otherwise I will just focus on a good sub which I really need in any case.

A

Anonymous

This might help.

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Wharfedale-Evo-2-8/

Make a day of it, but they are old speakers, and even though yes old speakers can be better than new ones. I still feel driving 300km would not be worth it.

Have you tried buying better quality speaker stands, or save for a better amp.

I really think you are rushing into something that is not going to make a night and day difference and thats the only reason anyone upgrades, ....... to make a difference.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

This might help.

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Wharfedale-Evo-2-8/

Make a day of it, but they are old speakers, and even though yes old speakers can be better than new ones. I still feel driving 300km would not be worth it.

Have you tried buying better quality speaker stands, or save for a better amp.

I really think you are rushing into something that is not going to make a night and day difference and thats the only reason anyone upgrades, ....... to make a difference.

Thanks Canada, yes this review is actually one of the reasons why I considere it in the first place. Specially the first comment "These are good speakers, and a welcome upgrade". For space reasons I can not consider stands and I have just upgraded to the Arcam this year so, for the moment my focus is on speaker.

I take your recommendation and I will give it some more thoughs to other possibilities. If I do not find anything convicing then, I will have to give it a try.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I also use the 9.1's as a stereo front pair. I was lucky enough to get the 75th Anniversary ones, which were supposed to be slightly better overall. Reviews of the new 10.1 seem to show that they are a definite improvement on the 9.1's, though the 10.3's may be better for film and concert sound. I think the clincher is where you are going subwoofer wise. If you get a x.2 system going, getting speakers with extended bass would be a waste. Better to pay for good mid and treble with the sub(s) doing the grunt work. I have a REL Q50 for bass and the 9.1's improved immensely.

I am mostly concerned with music audio, so your needs may be different, but i will soon have the same problem as you when i upgrade my front pair.

I hope this was of some help.

Skyweaver.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Skyweaver:

Hi, I also use the 9.1's as a stereo front pair. I was lucky enough to get the 75th Anniversary ones, which were supposed to be slightly better overall. Reviews of the new 10.1 seem to show that they are a definite improvement on the 9.1's, though the 10.3's may be better for film and concert sound. I think the clincher is where you are going subwoofer wise. If you get a x.2 system going, getting speakers with extended bass would be a waste. Better to pay for good mid and treble with the sub(s) doing the grunt work. I have a REL Q50 for bass and the 9.1's improved immensely.

I am mostly concerned with music audio, so your needs may be different, but i will soon have the same problem as you when i upgrade my front pair.

I hope this was of some help.

Skyweaver.

Yes, a good sub is also on my radar screen. I wish I had budget for a Rel but it is not the case so I am considering to the SW150 in future if I find a good deal. I would be hessitant to try with other sub which is not of the same cinema package. Regarding front upgrades my main limitation is to keep the other 3 speakers therefore it has to be something in the Wharfedale line.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts