Front Height & Front Wide Speakers Setup is Just Another Big Joke

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello Guys

And so after a couple of weeks since i have had my Denon AVR-4310 and i was stunned by the audio quality and performer of it , still iam
emotion-1.gif
but i found my self also very eager to try what all those new audio channels all about, so set my mind on it and after i was looking to borrow a pair of speakers for the test , i found some focal chorus 800 speaker, which's also is perfect match , since i have a focal chorus 826v speakers.

Time to get to work, so set down with my Avia calibrating disc and a Radio shak spl meter and re-calibrated the whole system again.

I started this test with the movie Hero -jet lee , i played the first fight scene under the rain , and while i was playing the movie i was switching back and forwrad between PLIIZ 7.1 -Height and DTS 5.1 , was i impressed? -No not at all ! but i decided not to rush my decision and test more further, then i moved to next scene in the movie, the battle scene where the army attack the temple by arrows, alot of sound effect such as the army crowd and the arrows flying arround it has tremendous sound effect , and this's exactly where those height speakers should shine , u could hear their present no doubt about it , but the only thing they do , is that making the front sound sounding a littel bigger but they do it in such a un-pricese and un-natural way , they make the whole front soundstage feels disjoined , and the front soundstage just dosn,t make believe anymore , and the same also go's to the wide -front.

I was testing for 2 days with a few different movies , trying to find if there was any thing positive about these new channels, and i coudn,t even find just one single good thing, i think those who will benefit from those extra channels , is those who own a smalll and cheap speakers package and just want more sound in the room.

Me? -Noway iam gonna have it in my system even if it was at free cost! iam realy very disappointed about it but i only thing that make me happy , is that i didn,t went out and buy new extra speakers whatta mistake it would have been
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

For height, i did put them about 1 meter over the front L&R and for wide i put them about 60 cm in the front -side walls of the front L&R same hight level.

A

Anonymous

you don,t necessarily have to put up right into the ceilling , just as long as they are above the front about 2-3 feet and above and offcourse tilt down a littel , that,s what the dolby and audyssey recommand....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ProLogicIIz is basically what Yamaha have been doing for about 15 years, and doing it extremely well. We just don't think many people buying £500 amps are going to be shelling out for extra speakers over and above the usual 5.1. At the moment I can't say I've heard any amps performing in their 'z' mode, so I can't exactly say whether these new amps are implementing it properly or making good use of it. All I know is that Denon's surround processing doesn't do it for me - to me, they sound like the way you feel about your amp in z mode.

Messiah

I have not heard the Denon but I can agree with Dave about the
Yamaha's. I have used a couple of their receivers with this function
and it was certainly implemented well and sounded good.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:ProLogicIIz is basically what Yamaha have been doing for about 15 years, and doing it extremely well. We just don't think many people buying £500 amps are going to be shelling out for extra speakers over and above the usual 5.1. At the moment I can't say I've heard any amps performing in their 'z' mode, so I can't exactly say whether these new amps are implementing it properly or making good use of it. All I know is that Denon's surround processing doesn't do it for me - to me, they sound like the way you feel about your amp in z mode.

Actually both PLIIZ from dolby and DSX from audyssey should be a far better surround processing tec. then what yamaha has presented in their av/receivers , i think yamaha they call it (presence) or something like that as i rememeber...and having heard the yamaha in the presence surround mode before , it was even worst and alot more primitive , but anyway there you say it frank 15 years in the market without success....

A

Anonymous

I have just implement the "Z" option by using my current Polk audio LC80is in ceiling speakers as the height and adding some B&W M1's as the front L & R.

In my opinion the effect is very dramatic (dependant on the film source), the sound stage is much wider, even my wife thinks is sounds more like being at the cinema.

I have now set this up as my permament setup.

A

Anonymous

markjaspi:
I have just implement the "Z" option by using my current Polk audio LC80is in ceiling speakers as the height and adding some B&W M1's as the front L & R.

In my opinion the effect is very dramatic (dependant on the film source), the sound stage is much wider, even my wife thinks is sounds more like being at the cinema.

I have now set this up as my permament setup.

As i have mentioned it above -you might benefit from it if u are running a small speakers that are NOT capable to draw a decent size soundstage , and while the sound get bigger (Louder) the soundstage become less believable , remember this's just another matrix channels for now and they don,t add more information to the drama!

Personaly speaking -if u have a decent and capable floorstander speakers that are well placed and that can draw a big soundstage ,adding those channels is going to spoil the party , that's offcourse if one value quality rather then quantity.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts