Freeview Tuning Issues

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just did a retune on my Samsung LE32A436 TV and found that a Whole bunch of channels have decided to install themselves on channel numbers up in the 800s. Checking the transmitter website for my area (Caradon Hill, Cornwall) it seems that all these channels are all on the same MUX. They include Film4 and ITV4 etc....

Spent hours looking round for causes and solution, I found the cause (weak signals grabbing the channel slot) and am happy with the explainations given but have yet to find a solution. All the reading says do a manual retune so after establishing which channels I needed I did the manual retune but the same channels still found their way up into the 800s. I did a full reset and then powered down the TV before doing the retune just to make sure that there was nothing left in the TVs memory but still no luck. I have tried this a couple of times with no success....

I also retuned my Freeview DVDR which is also a Samsung and that worked OK.......

Anyone able to help. Thanks in advance.

matthewpiano

You could try a -18dB attenuator to see if it pushes the weak signals away completely. It has worked for some of our customers who have experienced issues since switch-over.

Also, if you continue going down the manual re-tune route, turn automatic channel updates off on the TV if it has this feature. Otherwise the TV will just automatically find the channels and re-add them.

This isn't a fault with your TV but a transmission/signal problem. It is likely that the tuners in the TV and DVD have different sensitivities (I've usually found DVD tuners to be less sensitive), thus the differing results between the two pieces of equipment.

Hope this is helpful.

A

Anonymous

Thanks matthewpiano, helpful and enlightened as always. Will give it a go as soon as I can get hold of an attenuator.

From what you are saying this seems to be quite common.

A

Anonymous

Oh well....Found a couple of attenuators in the bits drawer, 2 x 10db and 1 x 6db. I put in 10db, that didnt work so connected up 2 x 10db (20 db) that didnt work. Just for fun I put the 6db in as well and guess what, that didnt work either although with 26 db of attenuation I lost everything on tx channel 21 but it still didnt fix the original problem. Looks like I will have to live with it but thanks for your help.

matthewpiano

Sorry it didn't work for you. These freeview issues are a real pain and are causing issues for people all over the place. I hope they manage to get this problem sorted out eventually. If they don't, they can't really blame people for going to Sky, Freesat, or Virgin instead.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts