Freeview: Reappraisal

It takes a boy to criticise anything in life but a man to admit that things have changed. Around 18 months ago I was fed-up with freeview 'commercial' stations: They sounded insipid and packed with sibilance.

Since TV switchover to digital these stations have insidiously improved. Now they are as good as standard FM from a tuner IMO. Unless you listen to secondary stations that have yet to latch onto digital - as I do - can't see any reason for the old traditional tuner. (Blimey, can't believe I'm saying this).

Don't know whether it has anything to do with the switchover or if these stations have wised up. But whatever the reason, I'm immensely grateful. :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Unless you listen to secondary stations that have yet to latch onto digital - as I do - can't see any reason for the old traditional tuner. (Blimey, can't believe I'm saying this).

Which 'secondary stations'. I'll try looking for them and let you know.

plastic penguin said:
Yes. But everytime I think of internet radio I come out in a nasty rash.

Why?

plastic penguin said:
One step at a time, in my case. :)

Each 'step' takes you five years. WHF? will be a monthly brain implant by the time you get it sorted.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Since TV switchover to digital these stations have insidiously improved. Now they are as good as standard FM from a tuner IMO. Unless you listen to secondary stations that have yet to latch onto digital - as I do - can't see any reason for the old traditional tuner. (Blimey, can't believe I'm saying this).

Bear in mind you are comparing Freeview radio to a lousy FM signal as you stated in another radio thread this week...

plastic penguin said:
Even commercial stations vary in quality, such as 'Magic' which is fairly warm sounding, while the likes of 'Absolute Radio' is more trebly or less dense. Add to that is my area is cr** for signal strength. On a perfect day it's fine, but if get a single cloud overhead, it knackers the whole reception.

Hardly a level 'playing field' on which to make comparisons.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Bear in mind you are comparing Freeview radio to a lousy FM signal as you stated in another radio thread this week...

plastic penguin said:
Even commercial stations vary in quality, such as 'Magic' which is fairly warm sounding, while the likes of 'Absolute Radio' is more trebly or less dense. Add to that is my area is cr** for signal strength. On a perfect day it's fine, but if get a single cloud overhead, it knackers the whole reception.

Hardly a level 'playing field' on which to make comparisons.

Yes, but that's not all stations all the time. Generally the commercial ones are best on "dodgy" FM, while BBC stations tends to be hissy and most effected by extreme weather conditions.

Sure it isn't a level 'playing field' but what it has done to my (strange ears) is given Freeview some parity.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Unless you listen to secondary stations that have yet to latch onto digital - as I do - can't see any reason for the old traditional tuner. (Blimey, can't believe I'm saying this).

Which 'secondary stations'. I'll try looking for them and let you know.

plastic penguin said:
Yes. But everytime I think of internet radio I come out in a nasty rash.

Why?

plastic penguin said:
One step at a time, in my case. :)

Each 'step' takes you five years. WHF? will be a monthly brain implant by the time you get it sorted.

Radio Jackie (Tolworth), XFM, Eagle radio and Classic FM spring to mind.

C'mon, you know how diffident I am towards anything internet related.

Perhaps it takes five years, but not being 'up to speed' on the modern stuff makes me feel I should posting on Gramophone. Or it could be I'm generally contented.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts