Freeview HD is definitely available in York

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In the May 2010 issue of What Hi Fi, your staff member, "Joe" incorrectly advised Geoff Roads of York that he cannot currently receive Freeview HD. I am much further east of York on the same - Emley Moor - transmitter, and am receiving a very good HD signal from the same transmitter. What's more, this is supported by a quick check on the Freeview website, so I wonder how much research you have actually done. Please could you check your facts before giving out false information that may cost genuine enquirers a lot of money? Very sloppy and makes me wonder about the accuracy of other advice you are giving. Feel free to censor but this will go on other forums as it is shameful.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
At the time of writing, that was our understanding of the situation, and we advised the person asking the question to check the Freeview website for more up to date information.

As it is, the HD service became available in some York area postcodes just a week ago, some time after the magazine was printed, and at least a month after that advice was written. It's one of the problems of lead-times in print magazines.

And the same site is showing some central York postcodes are not expected to have Freeview HD until 2012, so it seems the coverage is patchy at the moment.

But then that's what the website, and these Forums, are for: happy to give you the opportunity to update your local information.

Thanks for the permission to censor, but we have no intention of doing so - and have fun both with your new TV and on those other forums...

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
ianc2101:What's more, this is supported by a quick check on the Freeview website, so I wonder how much research you have actually done.

Is it? While Andrew's post above covers the main reasons why we answered the way we did, citing the fact that transmitters have been turned on very recently - as we covered on the news pages of the website - I've just entered three central York postcodes in to the Freeview HD website's coverage checker and all three return an answer of '2012' for availability. So not sure what your quick check would have shown?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
New Freeview HD transmitters are being switched on in phases, as Andrew and Joe have pointed out, and we'll continue to cover the rollout of Freeview HD services across the UK here in the News section of the website. I think you need to check your facts too ianc2101.

For the record, here's a link to all the stories we've covered to date on Freeview HD (ignore the Reviews results and scroll down the page to News):

http://whathifi.com/Search/News/Freeview+HD/

A

Anonymous

Well done to the whf team for the good response to that unfair piece of critisism. I for one think that both the magazine and the website is brilliant and thank you for all the latest news and advice that you provide. Keep up the good work
emotion-2.gif

nick_p

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
ianc2101:In the May 2010 issue of What Hi Fi, your staff member, "Joe" incorrectly advised Geoff Roads of York that he cannot currently receive Freeview HD. I am much further east of York on the same - Emley Moor - transmitter, and am receiving a very good HD signal from the same transmitter. What's more, this is supported by a quick check on the Freeview website, so I wonder how much research you have actually done. Please could you check your facts before giving out false information that may cost genuine enquirers a lot of money? Very sloppy and makes me wonder about the accuracy of other advice you are giving. Feel free to censor but this will go on other forums as it is shameful.

Just because your on a transmitter that supplies free view HD does not mean that everyone that uses it will get it. I myself know only to well this to be the case as i am on the Crystal palace transmitter with good signal and i cant get it living near gatwick airport the reason being that the output from the transmitter is low and will be low for the foreseeable future hence perfect SD but no HD sad to say

nick

matthewpiano

The Freeview HD signal can be hit and miss even in those areas that do have it. We get our in-store signal from Winter Hill and can receive the HD signal most of the time, but there have been several occasions where the signal has been poor or none existant.

TRENDING THREADS