Freesat vs Freeview

SteveR750

My impression is that they are essentially the same in terms of programme and channel availability, obvioulsy freesat has HD capability though seemingly on very few progs at the moment; and of course on is a sateliite transmission the other terrestrial. How do they compare in terms of service and programmes available? I am tempted by freesat, but its programme range seems vastly inferior to Sky, especially if you went for the full sky monty. I realise that you pay for it in the end with the subscription charges, but whats the long term view - is it worth going with freesat knowing the more channels in SD and HD will eventually be added? If not, then i might be better off simply using the built in freeview tuner and saving a stack of cash....?

A

Anonymous

When Freeview becomes available here next year it will only be 22 channels of tv as against over 100 I get from Freesat. I get my analogue signal from a fairly low power relay mast that won't initially accomodate all the freeview channels.

Just how many channels get added to Freesat will depend on the takeup. Broadcasters have to pay to be on the system, and I think some will not want to pay both Sky and Freesat unless the latter gets a bigger share of the audience than it does now. That said, there are more than enough good programmes to satisfy me, but I'm not a big tv watcher. I think I watched about 4 hours of tv over the weekend in total, and recorded another 4 hours that I may watch during the week.

I'm on a fairly low fixed income so Sky doesn't tempt me. I can't think of one programme that is worth the subscription. The programmes they have exclusively that I like I get on DVD, which I'd probably do anyway.

I'd have to give up doing something else to pay for Sky, and as the minimum package would be equivalent to 3 theatre trips per year so there's really no contest for me.

Now that you can get Freesat boxes that will pause, rewind and record in the same way as Sky+, I think that it's a platform that will slowly increase it's share of the audience. It's one initial outlay only.

From the comments in these forums I also hazard a guess that the Freesat boxes are more reliable than the Sky ones.

SteveR750

Thanks for your comments, do you have any views on which freesat box? There are several (Bush, Humax, Grundig to name but a few on sale in Argos). Are they all HD and recordable? My dilemma is that I personally am OK with just the standard Uk channnels, I don't need all the Sky channels, though I had sky for abouit 6 years previously, however since I now live alone I don't need them. My sons however do watch a lot of the Sky stuff, especially the kids channels so that's where I might be missing out.

daveh75

There is only one Freesat pvr(recorder) atm and that's the Humax HDR! (If you discount panasonic's range of Freesat/HDD/BD recorders and Freesat/HDD/DVD recorders as there to expensive,even though the prices have dropped quite rapidly)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
We have about 94 channels on Freeview and regularly use half a dozen plus the radio channels.

HD is coming to Freeview next year anyway (along with time shifting & BBC iPlayer services) and I do not want satellite dishes either. I am perfectly happy to have what is available via our terrestrial digital roof aerial. (Installed last year and with perfect reception).

Once all the analogue stuff is switched off in a couple of years then there will be more bandwidth anyway.

If you really feel you need Freesat and what you need is only on Freesat then why not look at getting a Blu-Ray/DVD/HDD recorder with recordable Freesat built in? Like this one.

Okay, it is expensive right now, but I am sure these devices will drop in price very quickly and it is a one box solution.

SteveR750

Thanks Chebby, I don't need HD, not even for DVD - the upscaling XD500 that I have got is perfectly adequate for my brequirements. I'm not that impressed with HD anyway, at least the demos in currys comet et al haven't copnvinced me that the step up in qulaity is worthe the outlay. The biggest problem I have is lione of site of any receiving equipment - my house is behind a railway embankment that has two large oak tress in the way - I would need an aerial or dish on a 30ft pole. I can fit a dish at a lower level in a hole in the trees, but there is no digital reception in S Wales for a while yuet, so an analogue reception would be poor. My neighbours are using a dish in a similar way, so I know it works.

As regards an all in one player / recorder, my lack of interest in HD means that a grand for that is simply not value for money for me

SatCure

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750:I can fit a dish at a lower level in a hole in the trees, but there is no digital reception in S Wales for a while yet.

You are mistaken. Digital satellite TV *IS* receivable in Wales if your dish has a good line of sight.ÿ

SatCure

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750:My impression is that they are essentially the same in terms of programme and channel availability

Many channels are common to both platforms but several are not. Look at the web sites that list the channels and compare them.

Freesat has many more shopping- and ÿreligion channels. I don't see that as a bonus but some might.

SteveR750

SatCure:
SteveR750:I can fit a dish at a lower level in a hole in the trees, but there is no digital reception in S Wales for a while yet.

You are mistaken. Digital satellite TV *IS* receivable in Wales if your dish has a good line of sight.

Sorry I wasnt very clear - I meant terrestrial digital is not yet available. Of course digital satellite has - I have been a Sky subscriber for about 9 years in a previous house....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts