Freesat or Freeview? Humax HDR-1100s or FVP-4000t?

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I am considering Freeview or Freesat with either the Humax HDR-1100s or FVP-4000t.

What are the merits of one over the other? I know that the FVP-4000t has one more tuner so I can record an extra channel, but is that the extent of the difference?

I welcome your input.

Damien

Gray

Hi Damien,

I've run Humax Freesat and Freeview boxes for some time. There are of course slight operational differences with menus etc. between the different boxes that you can only really discover and appreciate (or not) with use.

Your choice may come down to practicalities such as whether you've got dish / decent aerial in place already.

Apart from the channel number differences between the two platforms of course, much is similar.

My particular (Foxsat HDR) Humax Freesat box has the ability to switch between 'Freesat' and 'Non Freesat' mode with an 'STB Mode' (Set-top box mode) option in the menu. This allows me to receive channels transmitted by the Astra satellite that are not on the Freesat or Freeview platforms (but are on Sky) - there's one radio station in particular for example, that I would not be without.

I even swung another dish toward another satellite so can get European TV and radio on the Humax box - (a couple of great HDTV music concerts that I recorded from Germany would never have been on UK TV)

So there may be more channel versatility with the Freesat option (Check whether the 1100S offers the option to tune to non-Freesat sat. channels if that's important to you) And I think the extra tuner that you mention on the 4000T could well be very useful as there have been times when I could have used more than two.

I would advise having a look at all the channels available to you on each platform just to see if that could influence your decision.

And whichever you go with, of course, put the audio through a decent hi-fi system. Good luck.

beany2510

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I recently bought the Humax HDR1100S, based on the review in WhatHiFi, I would say it is easy to set up, easy to use and worth the money. picture quality is good (hdmi into a panny plasma), sound is good (via a HDMI into soundbar). the remote control is "okay" but not quite as well laid out as others.

would i buy it again? yes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts