Free Equalizer App that works with Qobuz

VinylTrousers

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
I use Qobuz on my Windows 10 PC, an external DAC and some active desktop speakers. I'd like to give the Bass a little boost when the volume is low, are there any free apps that will work with Qobuz when it's in it's WASAPI exclusive mode? Thanks very much and all the best for the New Year!

VinylTrousers

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Some PC have and integrated eq software like Harman or Dolby Atmos. If your laptop supports Dolby audio, install Dolby Access and there you can find a great eq that works perfect.
I didn't have Dolby Atmos so I installed it and it does appear to work well with the exclusive mode on Qobuz. The only problem is: I'm on a free 7 day trial of Atmos, after that I'd have to pay a one off £15 - which I've not completely ruled out - I'll see how I feel next week. Thank you for your suggestion.

VinylTrousers

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Here's another question: can the volume output level from the PC affect the how music sounds? I could be imagining it but, if I have the PC set to 1/4 volume (as recommended by Audioquest) the bass sounds a bit weak, but if I increase the PC volume to 3/4 and reduce the speaker volume proportionately the bass sounds stronger.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hello

1) When I have tried equalizing, the best windows one i have found is Equalizer APO. Their are lots of EQ profiles on Github for headphones. I have not checked for speakers, but would be worth a look.
2) As you have an external DAC with AMP/Powered speakers, you should set your volume to 100% in all applications and windows volume control and control the volume from your Speakers/AMP. You limit the sound data to the DAC that the Amp/powered speakers can amplify/playback by not doing this. The only reason to reduce application volume and windows volume control is if you are using an internal soundcard/onboard audio decoder.

Jimmy

VinylTrousers

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello

1) When I have tried equalizing, the best windows one i have found is Equalizer APO. Their are lots of EQ profiles on Github for headphones. I have not checked for speakers, but would be worth a look.
2) As you have an external DAC with AMP/Powered speakers, you should set your volume to 100% in all applications and windows volume control and control the volume from your Speakers/AMP. You limit the sound data to the DAC that the Amp/powered speakers can amplify/playback by not doing this. The only reason to reduce application volume and windows volume control is if you are using an internal soundcard/onboard audio decoder.

Jimmy
Thank you for your reply, I'll have a look at the Equalizer APO app. On your second point, if I set the volume to 100% the speakers start clicking which is why I don't go past 75%. I think there is a way to lower the input level on my active speakers though so I will have another play around with volumes and levels, cheers.

Reactions: ThisIsJimmy

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, I'll have a look at the Equalizer APO app. On your second point, if I set the volume to 100% the speakers start clicking which is why I don't go past 75%. I think there is a way to lower the input level on my active speakers though so I will have another play around with volumes and levels, cheers.
No problem. Out of interest what is your setup? Some DACS have adjustable volume on them if it doubles as a pre-amp. Audio Clicking/cliping might be indicating a different issue.

VinylTrousers

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
No problem. Out of interest what is your setup? Some DACS have adjustable volume on them if it doubles as a pre-amp. Audio Clicking/cliping might be indicating a different issue.
I've have a desktop PC running windows 10, an Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC and some Ruark Audio MR1 Mk2 active speakers. I don't think I can adjust the DAC volume but I believe it does boost the signal. What else could be causing the clicking at high volumes? Thanks very much...

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
I've have a desktop PC running windows 10, an Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC and some Ruark Audio MR1 Mk2 active speakers. I don't think I can adjust the DAC volume but I believe it does boost the signal. What else could be causing the clicking at high volumes? Thanks very much...
Ok, this is a USB DAC/AMP instead of a true external Seperate DAC and AMP. Whilst it looks like you can run the application volume at 100% (Youtube/ITUNES/Other Media Players), the windows volume control is tied into the volume control of the DAC/AMP according to the Audioquest Dragonfly Manual. For driving headphones this works well as a portable solution, however not ideal to use as a Pre-amp.

In this case think of the application volume as the signal that's driving the DAC part of the Dragonfly, and the Windows Volume Control as what is controlling the AMP part.

Clipping at high volumes will either be noise/distortion or audio/sound that cannot be presented properly because AMP isn't powerful enough to run the speakers. In your case though with powered speakers it is the former. Audio Science Review noted Distortion at high volumes on the Dragonfly.

Last edited:
Reactions: VinylTrousers

VinylTrousers

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Ok, this is a USB DAC/AMP instead of a true external Seperate DAC and AMP. Whilst it looks like you can run the application volume at 100% (Youtube/ITUNES/Other Media Players), the windows volume control is tied into the volume control of the DAC/AMP according to the Audioquest Dragonfly Manual. For driving headphones this works well as a portable solution, however not ideal to use as a Pre-amp.

In this case think of the application volume as the signal that's driving the DAC part of the Dragonfly, and the Windows Volume Control as what is controlling the AMP part.

Clipping at high volumes will either be noise/distortion or audio/sound that cannot be presented properly because AMP isn't powerful enough to run the speakers. In your case though with powered speakers it is the former. Audio Science Review noted Distortion at high volumes on the Dragonfly.
Thank you for looking into this so thoroughly, it all makes a bit more sense now

Reactions: ThisIsJimmy

SteveR750

I'm in the same position as many hi res / lossless users, how to implement EQ. I've just tried Dolby Atmos, it works fine with Spotify which is not lossless, and get resampled by Windows mixer to the output rate you set. Qobuz does not work in Wasapi or ASIO mode (no surprise), but does in Direct Sound. However, using latter means the stream is resampled to the windows default rate, so unless you reset this to 192k then everything is downsampled. Personally I'm not really interested in better than CDA anyway, but you might. More importantly the EQ is not compatible with exclusive mode, so you have to chose between them....
The search for a compatible EQ continues. The first streaming service to implement one gets my money

Vincent Kars

For a systemwide EQ , Equalizer APO combined with the Peace interface is often used.
It works with Direct Sound/ WASAPI Shared mode
As it is a APO, it works system wide hence one EQ for all apps.
Downside, it runs at the fixed sample rate as set in the audio panel. All audio not matching this rate, will be resampled. If the audio contains signal close to 0 dBFS this will introduce distortion.
This can be avoided by setting the pre-amp in EQ APO a notch down.

If a program uses WASAPI in Exclusive mode, it bypasses the win-audio stack. All output is send straight to the inputbuffer of the audio device. Obvious, EQ can only be done inside the app. As the app has a exclusive lock on the audio device, automatic sample rate switching is supported.

A nice overview of EQ software: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ows-linux-macos-ios-ipados-and-android.18450/

SteveR750

For a systemwide EQ , Equalizer APO combined with the Peace interface is often used.
It works with Direct Sound/ WASAPI Shared mode
As it is a APO, it works system wide hence one EQ for all apps.
Downside, it runs at the fixed sample rate as set in the audio panel. All audio not matching this rate, will be resampled. If the audio contains signal close to 0 dBFS this will introduce distortion.
This can be avoided by setting the pre-amp in EQ APO a notch down.

If a program uses WASAPI in Exclusive mode, it bypasses the win-audio stack. All output is send straight to the inputbuffer of the audio device. Obvious, EQ can only be done inside the app. As the app has a exclusive lock on the audio device, automatic sample rate switching is supported.

A nice overview of EQ software: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ows-linux-macos-ios-ipados-and-android.18450/
Thanks Vincent for the links - I've read part of the ASR thread. You've highlighted the main issue with APO, I want to retain exclusive mode for Qobuz, even if the kernal mixer isn't deteriorating the sound audibly, then the intrusion of other system sounds is really annoying.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts