Forum moderation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
'External' means simply they don't work for Haymarket or What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision, so have a bit more independence. It's a strategy we've employed very successfully on one of our other sites, Pistonheads.

And re point 2, as I've already said, me, Clare and John will be visible.

altruistic.lemon said:
But now we don't know the names nor see the avatar do we PP? Do you not understand the implications of that?

By the very definition of (all) forums, everyone is anonymous, otherwise why do we choose to use 'usernames'? Anyway, I'm sure it'll all take shape over this intial trial period, what 'is' and 'isn't' acceptable so on and so forth.

As I mentioned previously, it'll be business as usual.

A

Anonymous

This sounds like a fair move to me. With Haymarket being a business not a public sector organisation there needs to be effective and reasonable control and doesn't have to be completely transparent. I hope it works.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
And anyway, moderation is already predominantly anonymous - hence use of comments like [edited by mods]

Exactly! Some people need to get a grip. So the mod is anonymous? So what? Whether a topic is moderated by someone we don't know or by "Doomslayer1972" it makes no odds as you still don't know the person doing it.

All they're doing is applying the house rules that already exist. It means WHF staffers aren't on call 24/7 to moderate too.

davidpr

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Fine with me, the forum is provided free of charge - although it is a good source for marketing purposes - and I enjoy visiting. The forum is of good quality - good uptime, good moderation etc - so lets see how it goes!

A

Anonymous

Well I've only got one comment to make on this and that's [edited by mods].

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Postive moves as far as I'm concerned.

Just one question on the linking to other sites. Will that include items for sale? I'm thinking of numerous instances in the past when someone has been looking for a used item & that very item has been available for sale on another forum's classifieds.

I can see issues with self-promotion though.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Crocodile, if it's a non-trade poster linking to an item for sale, hot deal, discount or whatever on another site that's fine, provided it's not something they're trying to sell themselves.

scene

My views on this are that firstly let us not forget that Haymarket provide the resources for this forum in terms of storage, people, etc, so they can pretty much say how the forums work. Secondly, we've never known explicitly who the moderators are, above and beyond the high profile "super" mods (Like Andy and Andrew); I'm fairly certain that other Haymarket employees have done (and do) the moderator task unsung 24*7...

So WHFS&V forums are "outsourcing" the moderation? That's their call - maybe it keeps the cost down and helps ensure that the forum keeps running, which is a good thing. Isn't it?

It's only an experiment and I laud the fact that we've been treated like adults and told it was happening. It didn't have to be that way. So I think, plus ca change...

John Duncan

Big Aura said:
bigboss said:
I think the changes to moderation is certainly a step in the right direction. I can't see anything sinister in it.
are you a mod bigboss??!

Well with that avatar, it would certainly fit with altruistic.lemon's view of the role...

Can we not start speculation on who is or isn't a mod, please? Might have to put that in the rules...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Can we not start speculation on who is or isn't a mod, please?

Spartacus.jpg

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
John Duncan said:
Can we not start speculation on who is or isn't a mod, please? Might have to put that in the rules...

Might be a good idea John, considering the fuss over this chap...

SNN0205STIG-280_1117602a.jpg

Oh no, not the Stig...

About the main topic, in Portugal we have a say "que nao deve nao teme" the one how don't owe don't fear !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts