For those looking at KEF LS50 wireless 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 116933
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 116933

Just come across the Tannoy gold 5/7/8's actives (dumb actives) mix these with an RME's ADI-2 balanced dac with a streamer of choisce and I think you would have a system that was every bit as good as the KEF's but with the ability to change out DAC/pre amps and streamer as they get a bit old/long in the tooth.

I also actually think these look better.

That's all just a thought is all

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I saw those and some YouTube reviews. The look indeed slightly better than many hobby studio monitors aside from the front controls. Someone will do a side by side. Some impressive specs too.

D

Deleted member 116933

I saw those and some YouTube reviews. The look indeed slightly better than many hobby studio monitors aside from the front controls. Someone will do a side by side. Some impressive specs too.

They do indeed have some impressive specs. I'm sure there will be some side by side comparisons done.
Either way a nice alternate option for those in the market. The downside is you have to go to a music shop rather than a hi-fi dealer to audition them making it harder for a prospective buyer to do a side by side comparison of there own.

D

Deleted member 116933

They look cheap and fugly... i doubt KEF will be worried.

Each to there own, I don't think KEF are lookers in my book, big orange unprotected cone with a cats bum in the middle! i normally love KEFs industrial design language but these for me don't hit the mark at all.

They're not competing with kef or even trying too these are dumb studio monitors aimed at completely different use case, sound-wise knowing tannoy as I do i bet there not a million miles away especially the gold 8's. I put them up as option for the people that might be looking at the kef and really not really wanting to spend the money on them.

And I rather have the outboard RME dac and streamer and by a good long way.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Each to there own, I don't think KEF are lookers in my book, big orange unprotected cone with a cats bum in the middle! i normally love KEFs industrial design language but these for me don't hit the mark at all.

They're not competing with kef or even trying too these are dumb studio monitors aimed at completely different use case, sound-wise knowing tannoy as I do i bet there not a million miles away especially the gold 8's. I put them up as option for the people that might be looking at the kef and really not really wanting to spend the money on them.

The 8 is huge. I don't think many considering the Kef would choose it. The 5 and 7 look more reasonable for anyone slightly concerned with decor but we are firmly in subjective territory so I may be wrong.

Kef's LS50 wireless/LSX are life style products and I guess many, including me, bought it to cut down on boxes.

Haven't I gone this way I very much like the look of AcousticEnergy's active book shelf model. However, it too, is not an integrated product.

Just depends what's important to the user.

CleanOldMan

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site

"a cats bum in the middle!" —HA

TRENDING THREADS