For David@FrankHarvey - PMC Twenty.22 and Musical Fidelity M3i

Sundeep V Menon

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi David,

Been trying to reach out to you on another post. Guess you didnt notice.

I am really sold on the PMC Twenty.22's. But havent heard it with my M3i. Not possible to lug it and test there. Therefore wanted to check with you on your opinion on pairing these two. What do you think considering that you could have actually listened to them. Is the M3i less matched to drive the 150W PMC? How is the bass sounding? Is it tight/short attack and delay? If you feel against this pairing what other options should I look at? Also if you like it do you think I could wall mount the Twenty.22's? Or do you insist that I use the stand mounts?

Please help. I am sitting with the amp and temp speakers and I have heard the PMC's. They are way way above my budget but now I am planning to go EMI on them ( you can sense deep lack of regard to anything in my life right now but to get some these decent pair of speakers )!! So your input will be very valuable here. Kindly help.

Thanks

S

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, not been on too much over the weekend as I am off this week on holiday. Just grabbed an hour while I charge things before leaving hotel room :)

I have to say I haven't heard the specific combination you have mentioned, but knowing the characteristics of the two, they will work together great. I'm sure the M3 will drive them just fine as they're not a hard load by any standards. The bass of the Twenty series is quite tight naturally, so if there's any bass overhang, it'll be due to the amplification. The only other amplification I'd look at would be the Naim Nait 5Si. If you want something particularly tight, you could look at the new Rotel RA1570 and Primare I22, but these two are just over the £1k mark.

I would definitely recommend stands for most speakers, but the Twenty models do work quite well close to a wall, so if you can get your hands on a wall bracket that is solid, you might get away with it. They're quite deep though, so I'm not sure about the compatibility with many wall brackets.

Sundeep V Menon

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi David,

Thanks a ton for taking the time to reply. Understood. Also I have the M3i already. So looking for the speaker. I guess the wall mounts will be tricky. But will scout. Any make/model that you can suggest? If you reply after you return it will be fine as I intend to purchase only next month.

Thanks

S

Sundeep V Menon said:
Hi David,

Thanks a ton for taking the time to reply. Understood. Also I have the M3i already. So looking for the speaker. I guess the wall mounts will be tricky. But will scout. Any make/model that you can suggest? If you reply after you return it will be fine as I intend to purchase only next month.

Thanks

S

This may seem like a stupid suggestion.... if you like idea of the PMC 22 but need to have wall brackets what about the 21s?

Sundeep V Menon

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Good point. The reason is that I am looking for a slightly bigger sound stage. Generally tend to have friends around and we might want to crank it up. Thought that the 21's maybe a bit small for that.

What do you think? The room is around 200 sq.ft and we might be 10/20+ people...

S

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The larger cone of the 22 will certainly give more output and be more efficient than a smaller cone like that in the 21. If you need higher output for a relatively large room stick to efficient loudspeakers. I think the Twenty.22s will be about as good as you'll get without spending sill money. They have a big soundstage, plenty of detail, they're very open and reveal the layers of the mix, and they're pretty easy to drive. Their leaner nature will suit higher volumes, which means the bass won't suddenly step up and take over.

Sundeep V Menon

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi David,

Thanks a ton. Shall update you once I have got them. My only issue is getting decent wall mounts. The guy here says that its quite difficult to get good ones cos the 22's are deep. So he is trying to coax me to go in for the 23's!! Whats your opinion?

Will let you know once done...

Have a great holiday..

Sundeep

kaloyan77

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi David.

I'm about to buy the twenty.22 also.

I have a small room, like 25 mts2 (269 ft2), and I like to listen to heavy metal, symphonic metal, classical music, jazz, blues mainly, wich are my music by excelence; my questions are the following ones:

- Are these the speaker to buy for my kind of music? (Do I need a larger one like the .23 or .24?)

- Do I need a subwoofer? Everybody talks about soobwoofer (in all coments here and other sites, talk about if placing the speakers in the correct place, the bass waves are listen correctly and not needing a subwoofer, are this correct?)

I have a very nice vintage Sansui 4000. Beautiful sound, very well balanced sound... u know, tube sound...

I start watching speakers like Q Accustics 2050i, Tannoy Presicion, monitor audio silver rx6, all in that rage of price, becouse they had great reviews here in what hifi.... but researching more and more, finally dicided to expend more and get a really good sound hi-fi speaker. I do not have acces to listen in a store, here in Bolivia we do not have this brands, even any of the ones I have mentioned before.

I'm about to spent for the very first time in a very good hi-fi speaker and I want it to be spent correctly. So, I really need some advise. A gide if u like.

Thank you David

kaloyan77 said:
Hi David.

I'm about to buy the twenty.22 also.

I have a small room, like 25 mts2 (269 ft2), and I like to listen to heavy metal, symphonic metal, classical music, jazz, blues mainly, wich are my music by excelence; my questions are the following ones:

- Are these the speaker to buy for my kind of music? (Do I need a larger one like the .23 or .24?)

- Do I need a subwoofer? Everybody talks about soobwoofer (in all coments here and other sites, talk about if placing the speakers in the correct place, the bass waves are listen correctly and not needing a subwoofer, are this correct?)

I have a very nice vintage Sansui 4000. Beautiful sound, very well balanced sound... u know, tube sound...

I start watching speakers like Q Accustics 2050i, Tannoy Presicion, monitor audio silver rx6, all in that rage of price, becouse they had great reviews here in what hifi.... but researching more and more, finally dicided to expend more and get a really good sound hi-fi speaker. I do not have acces to listen in a store, here in Bolivia we do not have this brands, even any of the ones I have mentioned before.

I'm about to spent for the very first time in a very good hi-fi speaker and I want it to be spent correctly. So, I really need some advise. A gide if u like.

Thank you David

Welcome...

May I point out that we can only advise based on our own individual experiences. Likewise, when looking at reviews these are carried out in a dedicated room, and may have little relevance to your or my living room/music room. Therefore the only way to find out is to make a shortlist of any speakers and hear them for yourself. Even better try and arrange a home dem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts