For Claire Newcome Please (DM37-38, Feedback sent to Denon for further Hi-Fi improvements)

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello Claire

I have the Denon DM37 which I have had for two years now, and as I have not got any spare money am stuck with it for the time being, don't get me wrong it is a good to very good little system and certainly excellent value for money, but if the known volume control issue is not resolved on the next model after the current DM38, then I will be looking for something different else where presuming I have a bit of spare money

Therefore at the beginning of the week I sent Denon some useful constructive feedback asking for a possible reply, I know it has not been long, but lets face it with people's general attitudes these day's am almost certain I will not get a response and that they would not want to admit to there issues in written format or otherwise (Of course I am not saying I am perfect)

I know there are far more important things than this to talk about, but as this is where you can come to view your specific opinions on Hi-Fi am therefore giving you my views, The volume control issue is important as volume 11 is too low and 12 too high, a value between these two settings would be ideal as the quality of sound reproduction is also relevant to volume, anyway I have enclosed below the email I have sent them and was curious if you could have a discreet work with them so that in the future these issues will be resolved, and as I understand they have not been with the current DM38 especially the volume control issue, as it seems a shame that with all these things rectified that there systems would sell even more, and lets face it the intermittent hum and hiss on the headphones out only (Main speaker sound no problem with this at all !) along with the volume control is unexceptable for a company like this even though there product is cheap, and I also understand that these two particular main issues did not happen on there previous similar models prior to the DM37, my little rant is now finished but am sure you can see where I am coming from when buying Hi-Fi etc, please find below my email I sent to Denon, thanks

Hello

I have owned the DM37 for two years now and am happy with it, probably the best value for money system, very good sound quality

However I am certain you must know that it has a few known issues, and please don't just take my word for it as other people on http://www.whathifi.com/ have also found these issues as well, which have been talked about on there website forum

Main problem is that the volume control jumps between setting 11-12 very noticeably, 11 is too low and 12 too loud, other volume steps going forwards are fine, I believe this was not addressed and that the DM38 has this same exact problem

Also "some" units suffer from intermittent hiss/mains hum when listening from headphones, sound through speakers no hiss/hum what so ever

The unit will sometimes all by itself when listening from the main speakers mute the sound as it indicates the headphones are plugged in when obviously nothing is in that socket at all, then it un-mutes itself etc

On a lighter note some people have complained that the speaker connections on the back of the main unit are not big enough or spaced out enough to except spade connections

Please don't get the wrong impression of me, I am just telling you what I have experienced along with other people and hope that for the next model after the DM38 etc, that these issues will be resolved, as with these issues corrected the system would be very very good, the volume setting is annoying as the sound on 12 can feel uncomfortable and 11 not loud enough, and know people who have bought something else afterwards due to this issue

Again I really like the system and am trying to give good useful constructive feedback as again with all these issues resolved in the future am sure you would sell even more, as it would then become an excellent system

Could this email please me passed on to the relevant DM37/38 design department within Denon, and I would appreciate feedback please if possible

Thanks

Gary

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And here I am :)

Coincidentally I am likely to see some Denon reps later today: will make sure that they too are aware of this thread and its important user feedback.

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
To replicate the headphone hiss consistently you need to turn on the bass boost, or make any adjustment, + or -, to the bass or treble controls. When it's in direct mode, or not actually in direct mode but with no adjustments to bass boost or treble or bass controls, the hissing is not present. Or at least that's what I've found, and would explain the inconsistency of forum members in noticing the fault.

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Clare for your reply, and I have just noticed I spelt your name wrong, sorry !

I am sure you understand where I am coming from as a Hi-Fi customer and obviously don't expect these sort of known issues from a very good company like Denon and again even if the product is cheap, and hope that in the future these issues will be resolved as Denon I feel are shooting themselves in the foot so to speak, as these issues of course should not be there in the first place as was the case I understand in previous similar models, and they would probably sell even more systems like these and help stop existing customers from possibly buying else where etc

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
And here I am :) Coincidentally I am likely to see some Denon reps later today: will make sure that they too are aware of this thread and its important user feedback.

Be interesting to hear what comments/feedback they have to make about these issues. Never had the heaphone hiss and the volume increments has never bothered me unduly. But, being unable to utilize spade connections on the Denon speaker terminals was really really frustrating at the time. Grrr.

Rich

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts