Folding - Sony MDR10RC vs Marshall Monitor

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I posted a while ago that I was (still am - not found any) after a decent pair of portable headphones as I travel a lot by air. I have always used in ears but of late they have really started to bug me so I thought I'd look for a set or relatively unobtrusive folding headphones. Criteria:

Must be able to fold so I can stuff them in my laptop bag on entering and leaving the plane.

Must be reasonable in terms of isolation but I am not bothered about full blown noise cancelling.

Need to be able to reproduce detail sufficiently with adequate (not boomy) bass so no muddy sound. I listen to a lot of rock and prog but also female vocals and some classical and jazz.

Budget preferably under £100 but can stretch a bit of there's something outstanding. Bear in mind they will get bashed about a bit so I don't want to spend the earth.

The two pairs that have caught my eye are Sony MDR10RC at about £55 and the Marshall Monitor around £90.

I am struggling to demo them anywhere so any views on them and which you'd prefer?

Thank you!!!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
I posted a while ago that I was (still am - not found any) after a decent pair of portable headphones as I travel a lot by air. I have always used in ears but of late they have really started to bug me so I thought I'd look for a set or relatively unobtrusive folding headphones. Criteria:

Must be able to fold so I can stuff them in my laptop bag on entering and leaving the plane.

Must be reasonable in terms of isolation but I am not bothered about full blown noise cancelling.

Need to be able to reproduce detail sufficiently with adequate (not boomy) bass so no muddy sound. I listen to a lot of rock and prog but also female vocals and some classical and jazz.

Budget preferably under £100 but can stretch a bit of there's something outstanding. Bear in mind they will get bashed about a bit so I don't want to spend the earth.

The two pairs that have caught my eye are Sony MDR10RC at about £55 and the Marshall Monitor around £90.

I am struggling to demo them anywhere so any views on them and which you'd prefer?

Thank you!!!

I've had 2 of the Marshall Monitors, and both were pretty severely rolled off on the high end, compared to the more neutral headphones like the Thinksound ON1 / ON2, AKG K553, B&O H6, B&W P5, MrSpeakers Mad Dog etc. I'm not familiar with that Sony, but I know that for the Marshall's price, there should be one or more excellent Sony's.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Dale. That seems to be the consensus regarding the Marshalls along with quite an uncomfortable headband.

I am not expecting the Sonys to be mind blowing but for the price the reviews seem to be favourable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts