Focal Elear

jjbomber

Does anyone have any experience of these? I have been offered a new pair for £465. Great price as discontinued stock. Very tempted, but I'd like a second (first) opinion from you guys if anybody has tried them.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 188533

Yep I own them. They're very much like a 'super' HD650. Much more dynamic and punchy. They have about an 8 or 9db bass boost at the expense of a treble scoop. That just makes them flavored and no less high-fi. Much like how the HD650 is mid bassy. They have one of the best holographic soundstages I've heard in a headphone. It's very immersive. Great bass from an open back dynamic.

If you want to turn them into a 'super' HD600 instead ( more neutral ) you can get the Elex pads from Massdrop/Drop or Focal Clear pads ( I also have these ). Their Elex is an Elear with pads from the Clear. The Elex/Clear pads move the bass to about 2 or 3db above neutral and bring back the treble scoop. They don't do that holographic imaging thing as well though.

I paid about $650 for them and feel like they're worth the price. I'm still undecided on which pads I like better. I generally like the HD600 more than the HD650 but I might like the Elear pads better than the Elex pads despite the Elex pads being more 'correct'.

Reactions: jjbomber

jjbomber

I paid about $650 for them and feel like they're worth the price. I'm still undecided on which pads I like better. I generally like the HD600 more than the HD650 but I might like the Elear pads better than the Elex pads despite the Elex pads being more 'correct'.
In the USA they were going for $650 with the pouch and extra pair of ear pads. I guess now they are american owned, the goodies go that side of the pond. Those venture capitalists know a thing or two about marketing!

The different ear pads is a great idea. Some pads pad A wins, other days pads B would win. It would depend what mood the listener is in. It's a bit like having a favourite album or track; it changes with the mood.

Sorry I didn't come back earlier. I usually only check the 'Latest Posts' and for some reason this thread isn't in there.

D

Deleted member 188533

Yeah this section doesn't track notifications correctly. I've passed that along so hopefully it gets fixed. There are also 2 Headphone sub forums for some reason.

Not all headphones respond well to pad rolling but some do

The DT1990 Pro comes stock with 2 sets of pads that make it a very different headphone. The Analytical pads make it sharp and precise and the Balanced pads make it more warm, open and bassy.

D

Deleted member 188533

Yep Focal is still French. Massdrop ( Drop now they changed the name ) is a US company that has done some amazing collaborations with various hi-fi companies ( among other merchandise ). They really became known for the Massdrop X Sennheiser HD6XX which is an HD650 with a different finish for about half what a HD650 retails for. They also did the Massdrop X Fostex TH-X00 series which took the Fostex TH-600 and tuned it to be pleasing to the human ear. Excellent headphones and about the best bass you can get under $1500. The Elex is their collaboration with Focal. Basically as I said in the previous post it's just an Elear with pads from the Clear.

In most cases their collaborations are cheaper and better than the original product.

Reactions: Friesiansam

HTSkywalker

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Hey Guys, stay away from Focal. I was so in love with the Elear when I bought in 2017 only to have the left side dying on me 2 weeks back. In fact I only used it a maximum of 10 hours since I bought as brand new from Amazon.
Tried contacting Focal support 2 times without any answer from them even though i was planning to buy the Utopia.
Dumping 3.5K on on a company which have technical manufacturing flaws which they don't even bother replying to customers would be a foolish thing to do.
Now am looking into Sennheiser HD800S

D

Deleted member 188533

I've used my Elear in heavy rotation for a little over 2 years now. Hundreds if not several thousand hours. I listened to them earlier today actually. I'm not sure how you loved it and only used it 10 hours in 3 years?

Focal has had driver failure issues. I hear more about it on the Massdrop x Focal Elex than anything else and I suspect the Elex might be made with drivers that don't meet quality control spec for the Elear but I don't know that for sure. I've heard they do quite well with warranty service so just make sure you buy from an authorized retailer and register them for the warranty.

I'm still getting a Clear at some point. :)

The HD800 is a completely different experience from a punchy, dynamic Focal headphone.

HTSkywalker

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
I've used my Elear in heavy rotation for a little over 2 years now. Hundreds if not several thousand hours. I listened to them earlier today actually. I'm not sure how you loved it and only used it 10 hours in 3 years?

Focal has had driver failure issues. I hear more about it on the Massdrop x Focal Elex than anything else and I suspect the Elex might be made with drivers that don't meet quality control spec for the Elear but I don't know that for sure. I've heard they do quite well with warranty service so just make sure you buy from an authorized retailer and register them for the warranty.

I'm still getting a Clear at some point. :)

The HD800 is a completely different experience from a punchy, dynamic Focal headphone.

Exactly why originally I went for the Focal instead of the Sen and was targeting the Utopia only to end up with an unlucky pair. Only If could be fixed, It was quoted "built like a french tank" :-(

HTSkywalker

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
And to answer your question, was using my Mcintosch amplifier with my Triton speakers until we got to the lockdowns and online schooling and have to shut down the speakers or kicked out of the house. Even the Elear sound leakage was not that welcomed.
Till I got things fixed, am using my A&K player

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts