Focal 906 or Dynaudio Excite X12

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
So, I have been looking for new speakers for a while and these are the 2 that I am looking at. I have some Excite X12s on extended loan from a mate, with an option to buy. They are very sweet, great transparency and plenty of presence. However, the bass is a little unruly at times; lots but not as taut as I like. I have heard the Focals in a dealership, but do not have a home demo option and hence cannot do a direct comparison. I heard them with exposure amplification (I have Naim), again they sounded close to what I am after and the bass sounded a little more controlled. The risk, of course, is that there are 101 other differences that could influence what I am hearing.

I am trying to pluck up the courage to make a decision and so advice would be welcomed.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Yes, the X12s are a good price and I am trying to love them. The top end is perfect, as is their enthusiasm and dynamicism (made up word!). However, that woolly bass is distracting and they are not quite perfect. The Focals sound good, but have not heard the B&Ws yet. I have struggled with B&W in the past, but perhaps the newer ones will be more to my liking.

rainsoothe

NJB said:
Yes, the X12s are a good price and I am trying to love them. The top end is perfect, as is their enthusiasm and dynamicism (made up word!). However, that woolly bass is distracting and they are not quite perfect. The Focals sound good, but have not heard the B&Ws yet. I have struggled with B&W in the past, but perhaps the newer ones will be more to my liking.

Hi.

I haven't heard the X12, but I have the Focal 906 and I used to own Naim. I don't know if the Focal's bass tautness is their strongpoint, but I'm driving mine with Arcam A19 and they give a warm, relaxed sound - which I want. When I auditioned this combo, though, the Focals were on their stands, so the sound was tighter. My point is, it might be the stands - and that might be why it sounded right for you in the shop: proper stands. That's not to say you won't like them, they should partner Naim well, although the 5si sounded a bit harsh through them. Did you position the speakers properly when you auditioned - the X12 i mean?

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I am using Soundstyle Z2 stands, which have 4 soft blobs on the top that the speaker rests on. If anything, this isolates it from the stand, this might be going the wrong way. I will try the old favourite, blutack, and see what happens.
I have moved the X12s all over the place, so am happy to discount placement for them.

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't take either for Naim. I own the Supernait 2 and have found that there's only a handful of speakers that have great synergy with Naim. And I've found the result to be sometimes contradicting to what I've read.

The Nait series, including the Supernait 2, doesn't have great power. They give the elusion of great power. My amplifier turned out to be just enough for the speakers I'm using. If you are using the 5si, you will find that its bass is quite strong. People think it's punchy and rhythmic. But so is the Dynaudio X12. This speaker's characteristics are almost exactly in line with that of the 5si, with a reticent treble. On top of that the X12's are not easy to drive. When Dynaudio moved on from the Audience series they kept emphasizing the "more efficient" part of their specification. It's true that they are easier to drive than the previous models, but essentially it's not the easiest speaker to get the best out of. Dynaudio loves Simaudio. They just complement each other so well. You should check out the power that a 50w Simaudio could pack.

Focal Aria works quite well with Naim. It's still not the most synergistic match despite the fact that both brands are under the same roof, so to speak, but Focal Aria and Naim can be very enjoyable.

Lastly, don't put the best value for money products together and expect it to sound amazing. If you haven't gone through the long and arduous process of auditioning and making mistakes, it's very difficult to create the sound of your dreams. Speaker cables and power cords are fun to mess with, because they make things sound different, not necessarily better. Hoping to "fix problems" with cabling is the truest sign that you are not happy with what you have.

Hope this helps somewhat.

rainsoothe

newworld said:
The Nait series, including the Supernait 2, doesn't have great power.

Well... I defo don't agree with this, but indeed system matching is important. Also, I didn't like Focal Aria 906 with Nait 5si, vocals were way too forward. Focals might pair higher Naits well though, like the XS2.

OP: what particular Naim are you using? Try Sonus Faber, Martin Logan Motion series, Neat, ATC, Harbeth, Kudos or XTZ speakers.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
newworld said:
The Nait series, including the Supernait 2, doesn't have great power.

Well... I defo don't agree with this, but indeed system matching is important. Also, I didn't like Focal Aria 906 with Nait 5si, vocals were way too forward. Focals might pair higher Naits well though, like the XS2.

OP: what particular Naim are you using? Try Sonus Faber, Martin Logan Motion series, Neat, ATC, Harbeth, Kudos or XTZ speakers.

i have a Naim 202/150X with a TeddyCap. I like my old Epos ES14, but one is faulty. I am after more of the same with a little more bass. The X12s are nearly there, and my choices locally are quite restricted. Hence, my very short shortlist.

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
[/quote]

i have a Naim 202/150X with a TeddyCap. I like my old Epos ES14, but one is faulty. I am after more of the same with a little more bass. The X12s are nearly there, and my choices locally are quite restricted. Hence, my very short shortlist.

[/quote]

I'm a little confused because you said the bass is unruly in the original post. Do you have Naca5? Those cables give a lot more bass than many other.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site

[/quote]

I'm a little confused because you said the bass is unruly in the original post. Do you have Naca5? Those cables give a lot more bass than many other.

[/quote]

The ES14s have taut bass, but it is not overly generously supplied. The X12s have much more bass, but it is not as well controlled.

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
NJB said:

[/quote]

The ES14s have taut bass, but it is not overly generously supplied. The X12s have much more bass, but it is not as well controlled.

[/quote]

Oh I see. Is there enough space for you to bring out the speakers from the wall? The X12's are rear ported and adds to boominess. I think you will be happy with them once you set them up right.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
newworld said:
NJB said:

[/quote]

Oh I see. Is there enough space for you to bring out the speakers from the wall? The X12's are rear ported and adds to boominess. I think you will be happy with them once you set them up right.

[/quote]

The ES14s are rear ported too, and I have played around with the positioning (X12) from the rear wall (there is nothing beside them to worry about). I have also tried different spacing and toe-in combinations. My next move will be to try better coupling to the stands as the gel mounting supports are very slippery and look more like isolators. There is, of course, that old ES14 trick of ramming the ports with drinking straws; I have never tried that and remain a bit sceptical as it seems a laborious way to reduce the port size.

I am not good at auditioning. I get seduced by the wow factor, but sometimes a longer listen reveals aspects that are frustrating. I have few local dealers, but will see if any can offer more than just the take it or leave it that seems common here.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I can not discuss the synergy of any of the speakers mentioned and your amp. I did not hear the X12 so no comments there. I spent a few hours listening to the Aria 906 and the 685 S2.

To my ears, the Aria 906 sounds so much better than the 685 S2.

magicaxeman

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Try to demo of a a pair of PMC Twenty 21's or 22's, on their dedicated stands, they sound like heaven with Naim gear.

I'm currently running a pair of 21's with a unitiqute2 & silver anniversary XT

rainsoothe

magicaxeman said:
Try to demo of a a pair of PMC Twenty 21's or 22's, on their dedicated stands, they sound like heaven with Naim gear.

The guy wants strong, juicy bass - what's PMC got to do with it? :)

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
magicaxeman said:

The guy wants strong, juicy bass - what's PMC got to do with it? :)

I have used Carnival Silverscreen before, but have reverted back to the NACA5. I fear that I am treading a fine line as my room has laminate floors and a wood ceiling that will be prone to reflections. I am currently working with either taut bass (ES14) and more bass (X12). I also have to say that the Dynaudios sound a little lighter on their feet and are a great listen. I appreciate the advice/comments and will audition a few options. However, the room synergy thing could be a nuisance if I cannot get home demos. The only local dealer that offers a demo only has Epos, and I am not yet sure if the K1 might be a viable option for me as there are few reviews around (K2 was a massive fail in my small/reflective room).

rainsoothe

Ye, I have auditioned Epos K1 with Arcam A19 and Creek Evo 50A and I didn't really like them - they were too cold sounding, too clinical for me - bass was not bad though. But speakers/amp/electronics will only get you so far when it comes to bass grip and depth. You might actually get a lot more from acoustic treatment (a couple of well placed bass traps and/or acoustic panels from companies like GIK Acoustics will go a lot further then a sideways speaker move).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts