Focal 726 and b&w 683 with denon 1510?

Crystalarts

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi there I am new to the hi fi world and recently picked up a denon amp 1510 due to it being last one in Dubai and only other options being cheap amps or amps out with my price range.

So I tested it with the following speakers (not many options here) all costing about 900 gbp

Focal 726

Klipsch r82

Wharfedale evo2 40

aviano 8

I used the following songs as tests :

Brighton rock, queen

Battle of Evermore, led zep

Larks tongue in aspics pt 1, king crimson

Stockholm syndrome, Muse

Always driving in same car, bowie

Anyway side by side comparison the 726 came out on top big time, there was a sense of urgency with them and not too much bass and not too little (wharfedale had none whilst klipsch too much) the aviano was nice and well rounded but didn't really jump out at me. The 726 whilst bassy never lost the detail and soundstage was impressive. I could make out every instrument and It just wowed me.

Now I am keen on getting them however before I do so I want to test b&w 683 speakers. Unfortunately I can't test them with my amp only a rotel. I plan on checking it out this week.

My room is 6x4m however it leads onto another room of 6x4m and the open area is large enough that you could call the room a 6x8m room.

Tiled floor and windowed wall on the full 4m side of the wall in both rooms. Hard concrete walls too.

So I was wondering about the focal and b&w...

1. Are 600 series and 700's similar standard? Ie are they comparable or are the 800's closer to the 600 series? I know that focal are more expensive for what u get due to higher cost of manufacturing in France vs china (600 series)

2. Main difference between b&w vs focal sound? What can I expect when I finally hear the 683?

3. Difference between denon 1510 sound and rotel 1520 sound? Since I want to be able to consider amp effect on 683 when I listen to it.

4. A room such as I described... 683 maybe a better option since it comes with plugs? Manage bass better...?

5. Any other thoughts?

To be honest I already listened to 683s but wasn't impressed but this is due to the fact that the shop was renovating and they ha them in a padded room which allowed no reflection at all. So I want to give them another chance in a similar environment to when i tested the focals

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts