Floorstanders vs Standmounts with Sub

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I originally posed this question on another thread, but then noticed that I was the only person to reply to the thread since mid 2007!

I have read all the discussion in these forums about the benefits of floorstanders v standmounts. In a nutshell, if I have this right, floorstanders give better base and scale, standmounts
realism and timing. But I wondered whether standmounts with a subwoofer
might give you the best of both worlds - though the pessimist in me
expects there to be problems here too.

I am interested in this in part because I want to have the best stereo system I can have, but also have surround for movies and multichannel music. So I need to decide whether to sell my two B&W 602 S2 floorstanders and get something like B&W's 685 speaker package (all standmounts but with a sub) or whether I should keep what I have and look for second hand gear for a centre and surrounds.

Though I like the speakers I have, I have to say that they have never been in a room big enough for them.

Thanks

Musical Fidelity A3.5, Plinius 8200 (a surround receiver to be purchased).

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Plus points with the standmounts + Sub are:

More discrete. You can have smallish standmounts on display and a sub hidden away somewhere.

Greater tweakability. You can alter the subs crossover, level, and phase, to find the exact sound that suits your tastes, this is obviously in addition to any tone controls you amp may have for adjusting the standmounts sound.

Should delve deeper than a floorstander too

Down sides are it's probably gonna cost you more.

I run my B&W 602 S3s in conjunction with a PV1 sub. Sounds great. I wouldn't consider swapping to floorstanders any time soon.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I tried this (PMC TB2+ speakers with REL Quake) and it was pretty decent to be honest, but all in all I think that the detrimental effect on the timing outweighed benefit of the additional bass and I went back to just using the speakers on their own, with the sub dedicated to home cinema duties only. My PMCs have pretty good bass anyway so I don't feel like I'm lacking anything in that area.

A

Anonymous

Stand mounters with a sub work best for me but you need a decent sub to get away with it. My REL Quake doesn't get away with it but it'll do for now. As BigChris said, it's going to cost you more than floorstanders but if you get it right it'll be worth it!

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Providing that the standmounters go deep enough that the crossover to the sub leaves the sub dealing with frequencies low enough not to be directional I'd go the standmount + sub route. But that's just me.

As you like your current B&W's though you may well stick with them, and maybe add a sub to them. You seem to suggest some boominess caused by your small room though. If you're using stereo rather than lfe feed to the sub and the frequencies causing trouble are not in the directional upper bass area the sub could give a little more control of bass due to independent positioning, level, filtering, phase controls etc.

Another route may be to sell the B&Ws and add your sub budget to this and get a better pair of floorstanders, maybe 2nd hand / ex dem. That way you'd hear improvements across the frequency range.

There's no substitute for having a good listen, and there's always several approaches to any problem, and there will always be people telling you you should have done it differently.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Sub can be use with budget standmount as a good value upgrade and in many case they can sound better than budget floorstanders. I rather have a better pair of Floorstand though (around £800 and above should be done properly)

A

Anonymous

Floorstanders look better IMHO. Cause less strife in the household. Are my preffered choice.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Floorstanders and a subwoofer can be just as effective. It can tighten up a loose low end, further extend bass and do all the other things in the midrange which also benefit standmounts.

I'd be inclined to buy a good, small, fast subwoofer then try that with the speakers you have before doing anything else. It won't be wasted cash even if you sell your speakers and upgrade.

A

Anonymous

Good quality floorstanders AND a sub for me.

They don't take up any more room than standmounted ones, give a full matching tonal balance with depth, and has to my ears a more involving presence.
I like to roll off the deep bass on the floorstanders and give that duty to the sub, freeing up the power loading on the AV amp. This gives a more effortless signal to the speakers on both music and films.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts