Floorstanders and Suspended Wooden Floors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
So the guy in RS was quite suprised when I said the MA Bronze 200's were are bit flat, unengaging and polite with a muddied soundstage. I asked about the QAcoustic 3050i and he was a bit dismissive implying they were bass heavy and more suited to teens into D&B than refined music listening. However they do continue to have great reviews online. Unfortunately there is nowhere local I can demo them. Same with the Fyne 302i on my list. Great reviews but none locally.

How do you guys get to demo speakers at home. Obviously I can buy things online but how do you return them at reasonable cost if they aren't suitable? Are they classified as used if you do try them? Can you get refunds etc?

Also what might affect the acoustics in my room that much that a supposedly bright and forward speaker sounds just the opposite? We have stripped wooden floors with rugs and leather sofa's so hardly full of sound absorbing furniture. One thing we do have that might affect the sound is the dining room is behind my seating position in an open plan layout, hence there being no rear wall for the sound to bounce off. Do you think this is a big factor? When listening this weekend I found myself moving closer and closer to the speaker looking for detail and presence.

Any ideas to the above?

Listened to the Foo Fighters 'Times like these' on my old Tannoys last night and the timing and soundstage was much better than the MA 200's. The highs were out of control though. Aaaarrrgghh!!

Does your RS have the Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 or the Mission LX5 mkII? I agree with the store that the QA are probably not the answer, though I like the smaller models very much, as you’d need more space for them.

Acoustic Energy have some great value floorstanders, like the AE109/2, but they seem to be c. £600 and you can’t get them at RS. Is there an Audio T near you?

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Yes, I know that, but how did it change the sound? That’s what we are trying to test.

I did not notice any discernable improvement with the speakers further out. I tried toe-in; toe-out; dead-straight. Toe-in did improve a bit but it was hardly a decipherable soundstage. Just a muddled midrange still on rock tracks. It's like the timing is all wrong.

Dare I mention speaker cables? I'm using QED 79 Strand terminated in high quality spade connectors but each run is around 9.5m (both the same length). Could this be impacting on the sound?

I did not notice any discernable improvement with the speakers further out. I tried toe-in; toe-out; dead-straight. Toe-in did improve a bit but it was hardly a decipherable soundstage. Just a muddled midrange still on rock tracks. It's like the timing is all wrong.

Dare I mention speaker cables? I'm using QED 79 Strand terminated in high quality spade connectors but each run is around 9.5m (both the same length). Could this be impacting on the sound?
No, cables aren’t the issue here. Are you using the Marantz you mentioned earlier? And you’re definitely wired up in-phase?

How much difference does it make by opening the curtains behind your seat?

Reactions: Nico69

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Does your RS have the Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 or the Mission LX5 mkII? I agree with the store that the QA are probably not the answer, though I like the smaller models very much, as you’d need more space for them.

Acoustic Energy have some great value floorstanders, like the AE109/2, but they seem to be c. £600 and you can’t get them at RS. Is there an Audio T near you?

I did demo the MA 200s against the Wharfdale Diamond 12.3s instore for an hour and preferred the sound of the MA's. The Wharfs were even more laid back on vocals. They didn't have the Missions instore as they are being discontinued apparently. So you'd concur about the QAcoustics then? That's a shame as they look cool and I (AND WIFE) like them in White which a lot of others don't do. Do they need a lot of space around/behind them? Where the speakers will be placed the rear ports fire towards the slant of the bay so sound isn't bouncing straight back.

I do have an Audio T over in Bristol so not that far from Bath where I am. Might have to pop over there for a demo. There is also a Sevenoaks store so I could see what they have?

Makes not a lot of difference with curtains open but it might be a little better.

Oh, yeah, all in phase and running off the Marantz in Source Direct mode.

Oh, and also going to demo the Dali Oberon 5's soon, though these are double the price, However as my wife puts it - I might as well be happy with something rather than regret buying something cheap. I paln on keeping them as long as my Tannoys so they need to last for 26 years plus.

Sould I maybe be looking at Standmount speakers instead? I've got sand filled Atacama SE24's so they are pretty decent as a base.

Last edited:
Ok, now I know where you live then, yes, Bristol Audio T are very good. Book an appointment to be sure, and they’ve a massive range, though much of it is pricey! Sevenoaks further up from the Uni in Whiteladies area I think. There’s Audience in Bath, but I think they’re upmarket. (I know they are Linn dealers).

After you’ve heard a few more options you’ll learn the differences. It’s just possible you’ve got used to your old speakers being a bit ‘shouty’ and need time to acclimatise.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Well I've got the Dali Oberon 5's for the weekend. First impressions are very very good. Such depth and focus to the bass from such compact units! Possibly a bit smoother than the MA Bronze 200s but they also project the sound further towards the listener so they produce a better presentation of the music. I'll update as I listen to more music.

Edit: the more I listen to these the more I'm liking them. Very easy on placement too. So small. Such bass. The wife likes them too

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano and Al ears
Well I've got the Dali Oberon 5's for the weekend. First impressions are very very good. Such depth and focus to the bass from such compact units! Possibly a bit smoother than the MA Bronze 200s but they also project the sound further towards the listener so they produce a better presentation of the music. I'll update as I listen to more music.

Edit: the more I listen to these the more I'm liking them. Very easy on placement too. So small. Such bass. The wife likes them too
They’re very discreet aren’t they? I remember their launch at the Bristol Show about five years ago. It was actually voted the best sounding room, and I agreed it was terrific. They’ve been a big seller ever since.

Hope you’ve found a good one this time. :)

Reactions: Nico69

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Dunno.....
I love them, love the sound, love the control, love the bass....but.... The mids seem to lack a bit of urgency/energy when you expect it. Maybe a little restrained? Is it my ears?

Maybe its the new amp? Marantz PN7000n? God forbid that if I had a Graphic EQ I'd be nudging the mids up a tad....

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
So I've bitten the bullet and put in an order for the Oberon 5's at Richer Sounds.

What swung it for me was a quick visit to my brother in law who has a Naim Uniti Atom playing through Spendor speakers, and yes, whilst it is a very competent system, it wasn't a million miles away from my modest budget system. OK, different styles of music but I can hear what I hear.

Getting them delivered on Wednesday

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts