Floorstander speaker advice

Oran

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advise on choosing floorstander speakers to go with my current set up.

My system currently is:

Innuos Zenith music server - Chord Hugo TT - Bryston 4B 3

Now I want to find a stereo pair of loudspeakers to put on the end of all that.

My room dimensions are: 4.84 metres wide, 3.62 metres deep and 2.34 meters high.

That is the main section of the room but there is another bit which contains my sofa.

The extended section is: 2.89m x 1.15m x 2.34m.

The speakers will have to be around 2 meters apart with the listening "sweet spot" around 3 meters from the speakers.

One speaker will be a tad too close to a corner. I reckon that (depending on the size of the speaker) I can acheive a max distance of 45cm from the side wall to the acoustic centre of the speaker/driver.

Both speakers will be a max distance of 50cm from the rear wall to the REAR of the speaker cabinet. (again this depends on speaker size)

My music is the usual "bit of everything". I stream from Qobuz and rip CD's onto my server and I also occasionally download hi res onto the server.

I tend to listen to a bit of pop and rock, some jazz a bit of classical, anything that is recorded well.

Natural sounding vocals and instruments are most important to me. Tonal balance is very important too.

I generally prefer a bit of warmth but also like transparancy and sound stage depth.

I would want the system to go down to at least 40Hz (in room)

Im thinking along the lines of a 2 or 3 way floorstander up to the 7k price range.

Any advice or shared experiences woud be appreciated.

And yes of course I know that i need to listen to some options.

I have already listened to a couple of contenders.

Cheers
regular_smile.gif

pmc speakers should be on your list as pmc use bryston to dem their gear with and also use them within their active speakers so I'd put some of the new twenty 5 series floordtanders on your dem list or if you want to push the boat out then the fact series could be your answer.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You could have a look at the Amphion Argon 7LS. Amphion are quite popular in recording studios - have a look on their website for details. I find the Amphions work well in awkward rooms, and in rooms that are quite reflective, the higher frequencies are less excited by reflective walls compared to many other speakers.

http://www.amphion.fi/en/products/argon7-ls/

Another speaker that works well close to a wall are the Ophidian Prophet P2, which use a clever reflex port system that reduces air flow via the port, allowing it to be placed closer to walls than more conventional rear ported speakers.

http://www.ophidian.co.uk/p2.html

Despite the KEF Reference One being a standmount speaker, their three-way performance is more akin to a floorstander - worth checking out.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What have you listened to and what did you think?

As for a recommendation....I'd definitely want to hear the Kef Ref Ones that David suggested....they are very detailed and revealing, but are not aggressive or harsh in any way. They just sound "right" on the end of a quality system.

Just last week I heard some ATC SCM40 as mentioned above, and I found them one of the most 'complete' sounding speakers I've ever heard. And they reek of fabulous engineering. Made in the UK too! They certainly need some power, but you've no lack of that with your Bryston power amp!

Rather a left-field choice but might some panel speakers work for you, as some can tolerate being fairly close to side wall on account of less dispersion to the side than traditional designs? Something like Martin Logan Electromtion X, at c. £5,000. They meet your stated preferences too!

As a fan of Sonus faber I'd often suggest hearing some, but in that price range most are pretty large and need plenty of space around them, so maybe less suitable. Our room is about 3.5m wide by 7m long and my speakers are almost exactly 2 metres apart. But mine are rather more modest, and getting on a bit!

Oran

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks everyone for all the advice.

So far I have heard the PMC twenty 5 26 which sound awesome.

I also heard the Proac Response D48R which also sound great!

Thanks,

Oran

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Oran said:

Thanks,

Oran

I doubt that you will do much better than the PMC twenty5 26 .

Here is a used pair for a good price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PMC-Twenty5-26-Speakers-New-Model-2016-Walnut-RRP-7-000/222455128711?_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D191c6c11685b4857a89dc430a7563cea%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D222455128711

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Oran said:

Thanks,

Oran

Nice speakers....which leads me to believe that the Ref 1s are a must listen.

CnoEvil said:
Oran said:

Thanks,

Oran

Nice speakers....which leads me to believe that the Ref 1s are a must listen.
And the ATC. If you didn't have such a good poweramp, Oran, you could get the active model in your budget. I reckon the passive SMC40 is better than the PMC .26, actually, because the PMC tweeter is a bit 'hot', though firing it straight into the room helps.

MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:
Just last week I heard some ATC SCM40 as mentioned above, and I found them one of the most 'complete' sounding speakers I've ever heard. And they reek of fabulous engineering. Made in the UK too!

Hi nopiano

+1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Hi Rick, I completely understand now why you've been such an advocate for them all these years! My only slight misgiving was the recent price rise, and the colossal weight. The prospect of manoeuvring them around made me feel weak at the knees!

It'd be nice too if they did a wood finish other than cherry, though that was quite nice and better than the pictures. No doubt about the quality though - superb!

nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:
Just last week I heard some ATC SCM40 as mentioned above, and I found them one of the most 'complete' sounding speakers I've ever heard. And they reek of fabulous engineering. Made in the UK too!

Hi nopiano

+1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Hi Rick, I completely understand now why you've been such an advocate for them all these years! My only slight misgiving was the recent price rise, and the colossal weight. The prospect of manoeuvring them around made me feel weak at the knees!

It'd be nice too if they did a wood finish other than cherry, though that was quite nice and better than the pictures. No doubt about the quality though - superb!

So just how heavy are those Martin Logan's?? :)

Don't the SCM40s come on wheeled trolleys, otherwise known as Piano Movers?? :)

nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:

Hi nopiano

+1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi nopiano

I am sorry for this late response as this thread had unfortunately slipped my mind until i saw that you had joined another Forum today.

Anyway, ATC's drive units are massive and heavy and forty three years on and the magic continues with their mid range units. ATC Soft Dome monitoring
regular_smile.gif

Btw, even at RRP £3800/pair i still feel curved SCM40 passive monitors continue to offer excellent VFM.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
Oran said:

Thanks,

Oran

I doubt that you will do much better than the PMC twenty5 26 .

Here is a used pair for a good price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PMC-Twenty5-26-Speakers-New-Model-2016-Walnut-RRP-7-000/222455128711?_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D191c6c11685b4857a89dc430a7563cea%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D222455128711

If you are in no hurry then PMC Fact 12's sell second hand for about £7K and come up for sale every few months. Having owned a pair myself and heard them up against the twenty5 series you would do well to wait if you can...

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Just last week I heard some ATC SCM40 and I found them one of the most 'complete' sounding speakers I've ever heard.

how would you compare them to your sonus fabers?

MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:

Hi nopiano

+1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi nopiano

I am sorry for this late response as this thread had unfortunately slipped my mind until i saw that you had joined another Forum today.

Anyway, ATC's drive units are massive and heavy and forty three years on and the magic continues with their mid range units. ATC Soft Dome monitoring

Btw, even at RRP £3800/pair i still feel curved SCM40 passive monitors continue to offer excellent VFM.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Thanks, Rick. Yes, I joined the ATC forum today and I will post something here of the background shortly. I wasn't surprised to see you over there. I know you are a big fan, and I appreciate why now!

Best wishes.

lpv said:
nopiano said:
Just last week I heard some ATC SCM40 and I found them one of the most 'complete' sounding speakers I've ever heard.

Briefly, I'd say the ATCs have noticeably better bass pitch and impact, a little more transparency, and a more forward mid-range (where the Sf have a suck out). They are less sensitive by about 2dB, and they are even heavier to move!

Al ears said:
nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:

Hi nopiano

+1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

So just how heavy are those Martin Logan's?? :)

Don't the SCM40s come on wheeled trolleys, otherwise known as Piano Movers?? :)
The ML Electromotion ELS are about 2/3rds the weight of the ATC - 21.4 kg v 31 kg. The shop used those wheeled trollies to get them to and from the dem room!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
lpv said:
nopiano said:

Briefly, I'd say the ATCs have noticeably better bass pitch and impact, a little more transparency, and a more forward mid-range (where the Sf have a suck out).  They are less sensitive by about 2dB, and they are even heavier to move!

Or are you having home demo?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Al ears said:
nopiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
nopiano said:
Just last week I heard some ATC SCM40 as mentioned above, and I found them one of the most 'complete' sounding speakers I've ever heard.  And they reek of fabulous engineering.  Made in the UK too!  

Hi nopiano

+1 

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Hi Rick, I completely understand now why you've been such an advocate for them all these years!  My only slight misgiving was the recent price rise, and the colossal weight. The prospect of manoeuvring them around made me feel weak at the knees!  

So just how heavy are those Martin Logan's??   :)

Don't the SCM40s come on wheeled trolleys, otherwise known as Piano Movers??  :)
The ML Electromotion ELS are about 2/3rds the weight of the ATC - 21.4 kg v 31 kg.  The shop used those wheeled trollies to get them to and from the dem room!  

Wait till you start with the pro speakers

Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
lpv said:
nopiano said:

Briefly, I'd say the ATCs have noticeably better bass pitch and impact, a little more transparency, and a more forward mid-range (where the Sf have a suck out). They are less sensitive by about 2dB, and they are even heavier to move!

Or are you having home demo?
Yes, at home now. New thread started, though all the paragraphs have gone AWOL!

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/floorstanders-around-ps3000-tale-two-speakers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts