Floor Standing Speakers and spikes

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys,

What difference/benefit/negative would I get by placing my floor standing speakers on spikes. I have carpet in the lounge so not sure which is recommended for optimum sound. Anyone know?

Cheers

Rocket

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you have carpet you need to make sure they push through the carpet and underlay - you may need to sit a small child on your speakers to help.

If you have wood or laminate floors you can buy little cups to go under the spikes - or just use 10p coins.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Almost all Hifi shops I go for demo these days has gone a slab under the speakers. This gives better & firm bass reproduction. So I bought a pair & its really made the sound as a whole more cohesive. You may not want slaps in you living area, but if you don't mine then its worth a try.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Like many things in HiFi there is mixed opinion but as always it depends. Solid floor or boards? Personally my spikes push through the carpet ( no marks left) into wooden floor boards. Try carpet, then spikes, then spikes on a slab. If the slab option is best it could be cut and made to look OK. It probably will make no difference but worth a try.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
so at the moment I just haven't bothered with the spikes, the speakers just sit on the carpet. Any idea what the point of the spikes is?

Spikes do 2 things:

1. Couple the speaker to the floor.

2. Push through carpet into the floor below, in order to "grip" better and so keep the speaker from rocking.

If the floor below is concrete, spiking into this can be useful. If the floor is a suspended wooden one, it can trigger unwanted resonance. If you are dealing with the latter, it can be helpful to isolate the speaker from the floor by using a heavy stone slab (Granite/Marbel/Concrete)...you can then use spikes into spike-shoes, if you wish (you can get isolating spike shoes).

There is no substitute for trial and error.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I use spikes on granite chopping boards from Sainsburys, and the difference made to the bass was massive. So much better and more controlled.

they sit on a laminate over concrete floor.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
I use spikes on granite chopping boards from Sainsburys, and the difference made to the bass was massive. So much better and more controlled.

they sit on a laminate over concrete floor.
Yes it does make a lot of difference, especially if you got a room with bass problems.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
I granite chopping boards from Sainsburys

Superb idea. Yes, really.

I'm a bit far from a Sainsburys myself ( boy do I miss those little fruit tartlet things :-( ) but I'm going shopping for similar right now.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Can't say the better half will allow me to use granite slabs/chopping boards in the lounge. I have a decor standard to stick to. guess I'll just leave them sitting directly on the floor. Thanks for the input though guys

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts