Flat L/R suround Speakers

CarlitoGR

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi!I have the rx-a730 and a pair of zensors 3 as front L/R speakers now i am searching for a pair of flat suround speakers not above 150 euros.Something like this i was thinking http://m.ebay.com/itm/Dynavox-WS-502-Flat-Panel-Speaker-40-Watt-White-Pair-/122363781776?hash=item1c7d732290%3Ag%3AaVYAAOSwdGFYqv7F&_trkparms=pageci%253Abfc73c5c-6043-11e7-ba4d-74dbd180480c%257Cparentrq%253A0ab142cc15d0abc3205eb863fffbdce5%257Ciid%253A15
Are those speakers any good?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The only flat speakers that I have heard to sound good are electro statics. All other flat speakers are a compromise for aesthetics. So only buy flat speakers if you absolutely can't accommodate a normal box speaker. For a budget of 150 euros, you have lots of options and good sounding speakers too. Just my 2 cents...

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
dali make a flat speaker from the opticon range which is what i will be getting myself but they are £499 each or look on ebay for this speaker sometimes you might find them on there secondhand for less money . i need 3 so thats £1500 for me as one of them will be a center speaker which you can turn the tweeter round to make a center speaker . but these speakers are very flat and give a good sound but some might say you do not need much of a speaker for suround sound as they are not making lots of sound anyway so you could get away with using somthing cheaper .

CarlitoGR

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Ok.I understand that i ll have to pay much more for quality surround speakers but lets say that i had only those 3 choices 1.Cambridge Audio Minx Min 12 , 2.Yamaha NS-AW392 , 3.Polk audio OWM3.Which one of those will do the job right;

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The Yamahas are all weather outdoor speakers so probably won't sound the best as rear surround speakers.

Have you thought about something like the Yamaha NS-IW660 in-wall speakers and making some basic frames to mount them in on the wall? The frames would have to be about 3 1/2 inches or 90 mm deep.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
to dismiss a pair of speakers just because they are designed for outdoor use, doesn't mean you have to use them outdoors and I'm sure that when Yamaha was designing the speakers they thought oh well there for outdoors use so they don't have to output the highest quality audio, this from a company that most recording studios around the world use Yamaha's speakers for monitoring and mixing.

read the description in the link below.

http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/yamaha-ns-aw392.html

*scratch_one-s_head*

CarlitoGR

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Thats my next thought,to go with speakers in wall but i was thinking something more economical.Is nt this yamaha's a
bit of an overkill for suround L/R speakers?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Yamaha NS-IW660s make excellent rear or side in-wall surround speakers. You will have no shortage of volume! I have two as side surrounds and another two as rear surrounds in my movie room.

The NS-IW470 is a step down in performance (40W RMS vs 50W RMS) but are actually being sold for more than the 660s at the moment..

For fronts I am using NS-IW960s and these are being heavily discounted at the moment. They work great too. Two 5 1/2 inch woofers and a 1 inch tweeter, 75 watts RMS, 150 watts peak. I use a third mounted in a shallow home-made box screwed to the wall under the TV for the moment as a centre. If / when I get a 4K projector and screen I am going to mount two of these behind the screen as I have a wall stud right in the middle of the wall where one speaker should go. Otherwise I would use just one. The 960s are probably way too big for rears or sides unless you have your own full-size cinema though!

You can look at cheap copies from $100 a pair, or buy similar products from Klipsch etc. for similar prices up to $2000 PER SPEAKER. The choice is yours, but I really don't see the point of spending thousands in my 6 m x 4 m movie room, given they are for surround sound effects, not audiophile listening.

CarlitoGR

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking something like BIC AMERICA MURO M-50 or Pyle PDIW65.Maybe someone heard the above speakers and have an opinion?The yamahas is really hard to find.I repeat that those speakers will play L/R suround.What do you think of these?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I recommended the Ymahas be cause I know from personal experience that they're good. Pyle and BIC I haven't had first hand experience of, but I suspect you will be getting what you pay for.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to mention the Kef T-series.

The T-101 models are designed for surround sound surround speakers and are only 35 mm (less than 1-1/2 inch) thick.

Not cheap though - $550 a pair in the US.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Final suggestion would be Klipsch RP-140SA units. These have angled "fronts" and can be mounted high up on the walls at the wall/ceiling meeting point, pointing slightly downwards (15 degrees I think).

Not cheap either, though. $499 a pair in the US.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
They'll be fine. They,re just round to go in ceilings instead of rectangular to go jn walls. Aesthetics only. The angle-adjustable concentric tweeters on the IC-600s can be pointed towards your main listening position.

CarlitoGR

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Finally i think i found the choosen one's http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/ARENA+120.html
I hope those will do the trick.I liked the yamahas but the installation would be very difficult since my walls are made from concrete.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You seem to be doing a lot of search :)

Those jbl's seem to be 113mm deep. That would be too much for me. By any chance did you happen to come across something thinner.

I was planning on mounting my now out of use Yamaha sound bar on the wall, just behind the sofa to act as rear surrounds. But if I could find something thinner than 50mm ( which is the depth of the sound bar ) I could mount 2 of them as rear surrounds. I really can't go in wall, as the wall in cast concrete. Thanks.

CarlitoGR

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
https://www.canton.de/en/archive/gle-410.2
They are 100mm but i dont know about their quality.....beside them if you have the money you can go with kef T series,Dali fazon , dali opticon lcr and dali rubicon lcr

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
are 550 dollars a pair. Considering that I will be placing them on wall right behind the sofa, don't know how effective they will be for that price outlay. So I will pass it on for now. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts