First upgrade

assault

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,

after listening for a while my Hi-Fi system, I'm starting to think about a first upgrade.
I don't have a budget on my mind, maybe 700 euros? I hope to gain something from the selling of the component which I'll upgrade.

My system is in the signature, my listening room is a living room of about 15/20 square meters in an apartment.
I was thinking of upgrading the amp (Rega Elex-R?), because at the moment I don't have space for floorstanders (which may be a future upgrade). Is it the right choice? Is a better amp worthwhile in my small living room?

My listening sessions aren't loud in volume terms, I listen to wide range of genres, but principally Classical and Indie/Folk music from my FLAC collection.

I'm open to suggestions from you gurus Hi-Fi. The "problem" of my current system is that I find it too much engaging :D I know, I know, it seems not a cons, but I was expecting more detail from an Hi-Fi system. Probably it is due to positioning and to the Zensor 3 (not too much analytical), but as I wrote above I don't have space for floorstanders, so I was thinking of upgrading the amp first.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You could try a better amp. Can you hear it before buying? I did not really rate the Rega Elex R but only heard it with 1 set of speakers. I would consider the Marantz 8005 that is cheap now in UK about £600. Arcam A19 also worth a look. Creek 50A I liked but not sure you can get there.

I'm not sure what you mean by too much engaging, but I think you might mean too smooth or soft sounding? As you highlight compromised positioning, I fear that upgrading the amp may be futile, even though I would otherwise agree.

Are you sure you cannot rearrange your room set up?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
radiorog said:
 the Abrahamsen V2UP amp will be several times better than anything else in this price point. 

But his budget is 700 Euros.
Ok, got my exchange rates completlely wrong. Apparently the v2up is about 870 euros. In this case I would suggest stretching the budget a little to this. The level achieved will be worth the small extra expense and will prevent the want to upgrade a year later.

assault

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
I'm not sure what you mean by too much engaging, but I think you might mean too smooth or soft sounding? As you highlight compromised positioning, I fear that upgrading the amp may be futile, even though I would otherwise agree.

Are you sure you cannot rearrange your room set up?

Yeah, perhaps the right definition is "too smooth / soft sounding", like you said.

It's like listening a big stereo, definetly more refined, but it doesn't seem a true Hi-Fi experience. During holidays I tried an other positioning and now works better with classical music, but with a soundtrack like the one from "Whiplash" I've again the impression of listening to a bigger version of my mini B&O desktop speaker.

Perhaps I was expecting too much from a (budget) Hi-Fi system?

assault

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
muljao said:
What device are you using as a source for the flac files?

I'm using JRiver MC from my notebook, through USB type B in bit perfect transmission (ASIO driver from Cambridge official site).

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Seems like you are likely doing everything the best possible way so. I know that sometimes the software on a computer can effect the overall sound even when a DAC takes over from the computer sound card. Software inputs such as volume and equaliser settings etc can have an input. I believe JRiver has all that in hand.

Before you ugrade anything, have you the ability to try a different digital souce such as a cd player/ bluray player or similar to either play a cd or flac file through your current system using a different digital input on your DAC. Some DACs work different on their different inputs from what I understand. Its better to rule something out before any money is spent

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Would it be too disruptive to suggest that you consider going active? If clear and detailed is what you're after, it seems the obvious way. Eg you could get AVI DM5s for about £700. Obviously, other brands exist, but I can't personally recommend them!

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Dali's are not really good speakers ( had them for a year with Marantz amp) boxy sounding with recessed midrange, average tweeter and poor stereo image.. pain to listen classical on them. you can go ' better amp and new speakers' route and possibly spend €2000 all together and get bit of an upgrade.. you could also, for the same money get something like dynaudio bm6a for around €1500 ( amps are built) and keep you dac.. with these you could get better music system than equivalent separates.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Would it be too disruptive to suggest that you consider going active? If clear and detailed is what you're after, it seems the obvious way. Eg you could get AVI DM5s for about £700. Obviously, other brands exist, but I can't personally recommend them!

AVI 5 are actually the best speakers/ amp combination you can get for £700.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
thewinelake. said:

AVI 5 are actually the best speakers/ amp combination you can get for £700.

In fact in the world full-stop. ;)

I'm also a little confused as to what OP is really looking for, too engaging? I find it hard to make recommendations as 'engaging' is open to interpretation. I do think you should be trying lots of differnent gear to get an idea of what differnent presenations are on offer, particuarly with differnent approaches. The activ recommedations are well worth trying, I'm happy running this type of set up. Another you may want to try (and this could go either way for you) is valves somewhere in the chain, a valve pre-amp to solid state power is a great way to do this, I ran a Croft 25 in to Quad 909 with great results, although that would be over your budget but the Croft basic is very good value.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
OP - where are you based? One problem with many active systems is that they're hard to get a demo of, but given that they're so small, a kind forumite might be prepared to let you listen to theirs, maybe even in your room. They're so cultish, that they'd do that!

gasolin

lpv said:
Dali's are not really good speakers ( had them for a year with Marantz amp) boxy sounding with recessed midrange, average tweeter and poor stereo image.. pain to listen classical on them. you can go ' better amp and new speakers' route and possibly spend €2000 all together and get bit of an upgrade.. you could also, for the same money get something like dynaudio bm6a for around €1500 ( amps are built) and keep you dac.. with these you could get better music system than equivalent separates.

So why the h.... did you keep them for a year?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
lpv said:

So why the h.... did you keep them for a year?

It wasn't my only system.. sold it without regret

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts