First upgrade in nearly 10 years, what next?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Ok, so I've had the PM7001 KI Sig up and running non-stop for about 18hours now.

In comparison with the PM66SE KI Sig these are my observations:

This amp really opens up the Rogers LS55 speakers. The extra depth in detail on almost everything I heard was like the difference between night and day. It just feels like everything it driven with more controlled power

For once the older and lesser PM66 feels muddy and unclear.

Those beautiful shrill vocals from Nanci Griffith's live recordings really got the hairs on my head tingling.

Rainbows Difficult to Cure was presented in greater detail and the speedy fingers of Richie Blackmore were heard with much more purpose.

The guitars of Tesla were made to swagger in confidence

Every Royal Philharmonic Tchaikovsky piece was sublime and every instrument could be heard in unison yet singled out at will.

To see how well this amp was sonically and dynamically engineered I changed the bi-wire back to normal and the deficit was immediately noticeable.

I've decided that unless I can get hold of some seriously top class and much more expensive speakers, there's little point changing the speaker setup.

I hooked up a borrowed Arcam 192 CDP for good measure and this has now come high on my list for the next upgrade.

If the PM7001 KI Sig felt like I'd just spent £2000 on upgrades, the Arcam 192 felt like another £500 (despite it's c. £900 price tag)

The CD6000 Original SE was a good player, but this piece of kit seriously limits my setup.

The Rogers will be spared for another day.

I can do nothing but recommend this PM7001 KI Sig amp to anyone looking for a superb heart to their system. It doesn't miss a beat.

I never thought an amp could breath this much life back into what I already thought was a superb setup.

John Duncan

[quote user="Aeroadster"]
I can do nothing but recommend this PM7001 KI Sig amp to anyone looking for a superb heart to their system.ÿ It doesn't miss a beat.

I never thought an amp could breath this much life back into what I already thought was a superb setup.
[/quote]

See, told you.
emotion-2.gif

Come back when you're ready for the new CD player, plenty of other non-Arcam options out there
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Spit it out John, don't hold back.

Tell me know so I can start drooling faster.

John Duncan

Well I've never been that keen on Arcam players tbh, but there are a couple of bargains out there right now as the Divas have been replaced by FMJs. But at any given price point I like the Cambridge 640 v2, the Rotel RCD-06, the old Rega Planet (haven't heard the Apollo), Primare, blah blah. And the second-hand market opens up some fabulous near-high end options for good money.........

A

Anonymous

I wonder how an older PM17 KI Sig might be?

I've been (jokingly) told by a friend they might be selling off their kit. It's not the original, but the later model too.

I've cheekily offered £150 for it knowing I'll get a kick in the mouth back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts