First upgrade in nearly 10 years, what next?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My setup hasn't changed for donkeys years and is as follows:

Marantz PM66SE KI Sig, Marantz CD6000 Original SE, Denon DRW twin cassette deck, Rogers LS55 floorstanders, VDH 102 Mk3 Hybrid interconnects and some trusty QED Silver anni bi-wire.

That is until the new Marantz PM7001 KI Sig appeared this week.

Ok, so I've just spent £200 on a nearly new amp on ebay, but what should come next?

CD upgrade or speakers?

I have a good sized living room of 4m x 5m and the sound in amazing. I'm not sure whether I loved my old setup because the speakers are well rounded or because the amp is so good. I think the CD could do with being less laid back as quite often recordings made onto tape sound more vibrant and sharp.

CDs are used 99.99% of the time and what I love most about this setup is the feeling of being on the front row on the audience with Nanci Griffith performing live with as her shrill delicate voice is presented so accurately. This kind of country music is well represented even when strings are played quickly.

Orchestral pieces also have deep and well toned.

I do find that it falls behind somewhat on a lot of my rock tracks especially when you have guitars, drums, bass, keyboards all going hell for leather. It does get quite muddled in the low and mid sections.

So is it the speakers or the CD?

My guess is the CD, but I'd love an excuse to get new floorstanders.

Ideas?

I should spend more time trying to see what the differences are with the new amp too

A

Anonymous

Speakers, up to or around £500

CD, up to or around £500

John Duncan

I would guess loudspeakers, but I'd take your amp to a dealer and find out which £500 sounds best spent. However, I anticipate that £500 on either won't give you a huge improvement, particularly if you want floorstanders, since they're less good value for money at that budget level...........

A

Anonymous

Blimey £500 on a new set of speakers won't improve much over my ancient Rogers LS55?

Maybe I should join the eBay brigade and look for something secondhand.

I have to admit, the Rogers speakers (once bedded in) really sound great. They're pug ugly, but looks aren't important if the quality is there.

I've been lambasted at work by some "audio junkies" for buying the PM7001 KI over the new PM6002 or a Cambridge amp. I'll post this in another thread in case anyone can offer some better advice.

John Duncan

[quote user="Aeroadster"]
Blimey £500 on a new set of speakers won't improve much over my ancient Rogers LS55?

Maybe I should join the eBay brigade and look for something secondhand.

I have to admit, the Rogers speakers (once bedded in) really sound great. They're pug ugly, but looks aren't important if the quality is there.

I've been lambasted at work by some "audio junkies" for buying the PM7001 KI over the new PM6002 or a Cambridge amp. I'll post this in another thread in case anyone can offer some better advice.
[/quote]

No no no. The cooking PM7001 walks all over the 6002, I would expect the KI to be fabulous, and not be humbled by a grand's worth of speaker.

A

Anonymous

Phew I feel a little better.

It's always quite hard to know if you're making a good decision as preferences are a subjective thing.

I'd better go look for some bargain speakers then.

I still can't help thinking that CD6000 OSE needs to go to a new home too.

John Duncan

And if your own review on another web site is anything to go by, and they beat the hell out of Tannoy Revolution R2s, then you're not going to find much else around that will best them for 500 quid. Stretch a bit more to something like PMC DB1s, Proac Tablette Signature 8's, that sort of thing, and you might be talking.

Note that I have not heard drummerman's beloved Rega R3s, which are right on budget and floorstanders to boot........

A

Anonymous

Which site was this?

Do I have a double or is my memory fading with age?

A

Anonymous

Blimey, I forgot about that.

It's amazing what marriage and kids does to you.

Hence why I've not touched the hifi in years.

John Duncan

Blimey, I forgot about that.

It's amazing what marriage and kids does to you.

Hence why I've not touched the hifi in years.
[/quote]

Agreed. I only upgrade the hifi when my wife's away for the weekend, and only replace components with remarkably similar-looking (though much more expensive) ones.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I wonder if she'll know the difference between the two amps???

She does use the hifi to play kiddies CD on.

Oh dear, I think I'll be in bother before the week is over.

A

Anonymous

They are the same colour and make but....

I fear that if the ON button isn't in the left hand corner and there's no gold Ken Ishiwata badge on the front that she might spot the difference.

A

Anonymous

I fear that if the ON button isn't in the left hand corner and there's no gold Ken Ishiwata badge on the front that she might spot the difference.

[/quote]

I upgraded from a Marantz PM6002 to a PM7001 KI. I fessed up before the new one arrived becuase it was bigger and has a big, bright blue light when the amp is on.

I hope you don't get in too much trouble!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="hifibob"][quote user="Aeroadster"]

[/quote]

I upgraded from a Marantz PM6002 to a PM7001 KI. I fessed up before the new one arrived becuase it was bigger and has a big, bright blue light when the amp is on.

I hope you don't get in too much trouble!

[/quote]

Rats, I've just realised my 20month old girl knows how to switch the old amp on and select CD in order to play here fave CDs.

On second thoughts, she figured it out the first time, so it won't take long for her to do it again.

My vicious Glaswegian wife may not be so sympathetic!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]And I'm just wondering how to replace my current amp (two black knobs) with the Primare in my drawer at work (one silver knob)............[/quote]

I'll get you a coupe of cans of spray paint
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Nah, the only reason I got the Primare was because of the great silver knob (to go with the great silver drawer on the matching cd player)
emotion-2.gif
[/quote]

Its one hell of a silver knob isn't it? I cant wait until i get the Pre 30 which of course has THREE! (i think i'll probably feint) :_)

Ps. Why is it in your work drawer??

A

Anonymous

Thanks Joel, I'll look into those tonight when I get home.

Have you tried them firsthand? If so, what were they partnered with?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts