Hello everyone!

This is my first post in this forum and I'm a novice of the vinyl's world.
As most of you with more experience can imagine, I'm finding myself very confused in front of the wide choice I have.
I already tried to get informed a little searching on the internet and asking on other forums, but I'm still really undecided.

My budget is 500€/560$/360£

I'm leaning toward buying a Rega RP1 and a Rega Fono Mini (or maybe a secondhand Rega Fono I found for 150€).

Do you think this is good? Or maybe I could do better with my budget?

Additional information (don't know how much useful though) :

- I'm not interested in scratching, just listening.

- I'm going to place the turntable on the same piece of furniture of the speakers (even if on different shelfs) .

- The turntable will be a little less than a meter distant from the amplifier.

Tell me if you need some other informations that could matter.

Thank you in advance for all your answers.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mattia, and welcome to the forum. It would be useful to know what kit you will be connecting your turntable to - amp, speakers, etc. Partly to think about best matching a turntable to the existing components, but also it might be that your amp has a built-in phone stage (it would probably have a dedicated 'Phono' input if so), in which case you wouldn't need the Fono mini.

The RP1 is a good turntable at that level, although it would be worth considering also the Dual turntables at that level (Debut, or even Carbon if your budget can accommodate it). Others will be able to give you far more detailed opinions from greater experience, however.

One other thing that might be of use is to know whether you already have a lot of vinyl records, and if so, what sorts of music they represent. Or what sorts of music you're likely to be playing on your turntable if not.

First of all, thanks for your answer!

thescarletpronster said:
Hi Mattia, and welcome to the forum. It would be useful to know what kit you will be connecting your turntable to - amp, speakers, etc. Partly to think about best matching a turntable to the existing components, but also it might be that your amp has a built-in phone stage (it would probably have a dedicated 'Phono' input if so), in which case you wouldn't need the Fono mini.

I will be connecting it to a Kenwood RXD-F3 (maybe I will also be given an amplifier with valve quality, tomorrow I'll let you know the specific type)

thescarletpronster said:
The RP1 is a good turntable at that level, although it would be worth considering also the Dual turntables at that level (Debut, or even Carbon if your budget can accommodate it). Others will be able to give you far more detailed opinions from greater experience, however.

By Carbon you mean the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon? Because that one is less expensive the RP1...

thescarletpronster said:
One other thing that might be of use is to know whether you already have a lot of vinyl records, and if so, what sorts of music they represent. Or what sorts of music you're likely to be playing on your turntable if not.

Actually I'd like to be playing really various music genres (quite everything), even if I mostly listen to modern music, such as rock, punk, pop, hip-hop and all the subgenres.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I did mean the Debut Carbon - which is £100 more expensive than the Rega RP1 in the UK (£325 versus £230). I guess, as it's made in mainland Europe, it doesn't have the same price premium on it as the Rega where you are.

Here is a list of the turntables I've been suggested the most, with the prices I can buy them at :

- Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC) OM 10 : 290€/210£

- Rega RP1 : 310€/225£

- Rega RP1 Performance : 400€/290£

- Thorens TD 170 TP 18 : 345€/250£

- Audio-Techinica AT LP120 : 300€/215£ (this one got a pre-phono included)

Which one do you think I should choose, and why? Or maybe are there better turntables in this price range? (It just don't have to go lot above 400€/290£, so I can spend about 100€/72£ for a decent pre-phono)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts