First time system recommendations

popeyedaw

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I need help!

I would really appreciate your recommendations for a system that will do the following:

- provide cinema sound when watching DVDs

- enhance the sound when watching TV (connect SKY+ Box?)

- allow connection of my Apple TV Box for music, viewing photos and the occasional film.

The music side is equally as important as the Home Theatre. One thing confuses me, when listening to music, does the sound have to come through all of the speakers or can you just have it coming out of 2 a la stereo.

Ideally the speakers would be as small as possible.

I have a budget of £500 but this is flexible.

Cheers

Simon Pinkney

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Have a look at the Boston Acoustics speakers. They got a good review on here and my brother has them. They sound good with a Onkyo amp he has.

As far as amps go assuming the £500 is for speakers and amp then all the main makes do good entry level amps. As long as there enough HDMI ins for the equipment you have then you'll be okay. If its just the three in's you need (Apple, Sky and DVD) I'm pretty sure they all have at least that.

I have my Apple TV and Sky+ HD box and Blu-Ray player connected to my amp all via HDMI. Obviously they all sounds much, much better than just TV alone both on movies and music.

Most will have a stereo setting for music if you prefer but bear in mind if your only investing in smaller speakers then it might not sound too good. They'll also have a music setting which will then use the sub to give a fuller sound.

You might want to get extra for your money by considering a second hand amp and speakers. There is loads of great models to be found on Ebay.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
This is a controversial recommendation, but with your budget, and considering the importance of music to you, I'd consider something like a Marantz MCR-603 (which is a stereo-only mini hifi with DAB radio, streaming, Airplay, ipod dock, CD and amplifier) with some Q Acoustics 2020's. Along with some speaker stands, this would come in on budget (at current Richer Sounds prices).

A great deal of TV is still in stereo anyway, so will sound great through a system like this, as will your various music sources; indeed far superior to a surround system at a similar price.

The main negative of this system is when watching DVD's, you don't have the same control over the centre channel (the one used mainly for dialogue). You have to decide really which you prefer: decent stereo music sound OR surround sound and control over the centre channel. You have to start spending quite a bit more in my opinion before you get a satisfying music experience from a surround set-up. Before handing over the cash for your chosen AV receiver / surround speakers, just try to demo the Marantz / Q Acoustics system and just see what it's capable of.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
PS, regarding your comment...
"One thing confuses me, when listening to music, does the sound have to come through all of the speakers or can you just have it coming out of 2 a la stereo."

There are many ways of skinning this particular cat, and some of this will depend on personal preference, some of it will depend on the particular sound modes offered by the AV receiver in question.

Here are the typical routes to playing stereo sound through a multi-channel system:

"pure direct" using only the main left & right channels. Advantages: reduces processing from the receiver, so in theory produces more of a hi-fidelity sound. This option only really works if you have a decent set of left & right speakers. With a sub / satellite system, it'll only be engaging the small satellite speakers and won't sound very good at all.

"Dolby Pro Logic"; tries to process the stereo signal to sound like a multi-channel signal. Lots of processing muddies the sound and isn't especially successful.

"extended stereo" (this will go by different names depending on the make & model of receiver). This is a sound mode that pushes the stereo signal through all available speakers (including the sub). Having tried all the different sound modes available, this is the way I prefer to listen to stereo signals on my system. I do however manually adjust the fader in favour of the front speakers (by about half way). This would most definitely be the best way of playing a stereo signal through a system that has small satellites and a sub, with the caveat mentioned in my previous post.

Of course there is music available (on Bluray, Bluray Audio & SACD that provide a multi-channel,sound to begin with. In my experience though, I've found that playing well-produced stereo CD's in "Extended Stereo" to be every bit as good as even some well-produced multi-channel music I have.

Hope this answers your question.

Simon Pinkney

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Have you considered a Sound Bar. I have a Sonos for my TV upstairs and this is great for me. It is connected via Optical cable.

The downside to the Sonos is there isnt a HDMI in connection. However, I am certain some of the other makes do offer HDMI and some get quite good reviews.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts